• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Speculation

141 posts in this topic

Here are a few for thoughts

No brainers

NYX 3 - for a few more months.

Saga 1

Runaways 1

Hulk 92 - Long term this one is a classic, but short term will grow.

Y the Last Man 1 Long Term

Some undervalued or at least I think so.

ASM 4 variant/regular - because its still cheap

Darth Vader 3 - Until she shows up in film then she goes to top list

Zombie Tramp 1 V3 - I picked V3 just because V2 value has already exploded

I can never hold a copy very long

Some longer shots or very very undervalued

Slapstick 1

NTT 26

Alpha Flight 51

NTT 32

Planetary 1

that Darth Vader #3 is already hitting over $200 for the 1:25 variant.

Oh and for obvious reasons if you have anything carrie fisher signed yea thats a poop show on ebay right now. RIP Carrie Fisher.

I am impressed with how well Zombie Tramp 1 V3 is doing. I thought I was finally out of the regular and phantom covers but found a couple of copies of each in a long box this week.

Are there TV rumors for the property, or is it being driven by actual collector demand?

Its demand from what I see. I am sure there is some speculation in there as well. I only have about 10 left and I think I have now sold every variant of issue 1 I have. Its so refreshing that most of my sales on ebay have been to collectors. Its print run was nothing and since I repeatedly sell issue 2-5 its more demand then your normal spec book. What really sold me is if you look at the circulation numbers until I think the last few issues it was increasing every issue which is pretty rare.

I had a guy in England ask me to hold my last variant yesterday and it sold last night before I could hold it.

I am impressed with how well Zombie Tramp 1 V3 is doing. I thought I was finally out of the regular and phantom covers but found a couple of copies of each in a long box this week.

Are there TV rumors for the property, or is it being driven by actual collector demand?

I think people actually just like the comic, as far as I can tell. A previously untapped and weird market, I guess....

Here are my four picks. I also noted the print run and the current CGC census for 9.8 copies.

Scalped #1. There have been rumors that this will become a TV series one day. Personally I don’t take rumors serious until they are actually filming the series. IMO this is one of the top 3 comic series that I have ever read and would make an incredible TV series if it was done correctly. The great thing about this comic is you can still pick it up for under $300. If it actually becomes a TV series I can easily see it going up to $500.

The print run is only 13,644 copies and there are currently 60 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Y: the last man #1. There have been rumors that this will become a TV series one day. This series has received great reviews.

The print run is only 15,287 copies and there are currently 231 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Invincible #1. A lot of people consider this to be the best current super hero comic. If Kirkman decided to make this a TV show the price would most likely take off.

The print run is only 10,751 copies and there are currently 190 copies that received a CGC 9.8

Walking Dead #80. This is my long shot pick. CGC 9.8 Walking Dead collectors know how tough this issue is to find. As of today it’s the second hardest issue to find (for issues #1 -#100) in CGC 9.8. You can pick this comic up for $100 - $125. If it continues to remain scarce the price should go up.

The print run is 29,526 and there are currently 32 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Scalped was optioned in April of 2014.

Y the Last Man was optioned in October of 2015, after the movie option didn't pan out.

Whether or not either of these actually see TV is yet to be seen. I have a feeling both are on the "optioned" pile until their rights are up.

That doesn't mean that both are not good reads. Unfortunate that the option tag has to drive the price.

Invincible is a great pick.

Walking Dead #80. Interesting pick and had not heard about it. Wouldn't you say that the number on the census is simply a result of submission? There isn't anything special about that issue that would drive submissions outside of 9.8 run collectors.

80 has 32 9.8 out of 63 total submissions. 51% return rate at 9.8.

Just looking at some other issues around that time:

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

I'm never sold on key issues from issues in a dead series. I loved Y, but it's not a continuing series. Sure, a TV series would make it popular again, but long term, I don't see it holding out. At least, not in the same way a continuing series key issue does.

I'm never sold on key issues from issues in a dead series. I loved Y, but it's not a continuing series. Sure, a TV series would make it popular again, but long term, I don't see it holding out. At least, not in the same way a continuing series key issue does.

There aren't any continuing series from the Big 2 anymore.

2 longest currently from a major publisher, correct me if I'm wrong, are Savage Dragon and Spawn.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Reno McCoy means that the characters of a dead series don’t continue on in a new series or stories. While the original runs of Spider-Man, Batman, Superman etc. are long over they continue to appear in new series, reboots, and stories. Not the case with Y and possibly Invincible when it’s over.

However, Bone has long been a “dead series” but I can’t seem to find a high grade issue 1 under a grand for a long while now.

However, Bone has long been a “dead series” but I can’t seem to find a high grade issue 1 under a grand for a long while now.

Personally, I find Bone to have greater mass and all ages appeal than titles mentioned in this thread. Kinda like Tin Tin.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Reno McCoy means that the characters of a dead series don’t continue on in a new series or stories. While the original runs of Spider-Man, Batman, Superman etc. are long over they continue to appear in new series, reboots, and stories. Not the case with Y and possibly Invincible when it’s over.

Watchmen and Sandman were long dead and brought back.

Maybe a more relevant equivalent would be Preacher. I don't know how Y and Scalped end. Preacher could be brought back though. Will this go back up though in a ten year term? The option spike has already happened.

What happened with the Preacher tv show? Anyone even watch it? I have not heard word one about it.

Maybe a more relevant equivalent would be Preacher. I don't know how Y and Scalped end. Preacher could be brought back though. Will this go back up though in a ten year term? The option spike has already happened.

What happened with the Preacher tv show? Anyone even watch it? I have not heard word one about it.

Got a second season shortly after the last episode of the first season ended.

Scalped was optioned in April of 2014.

Y the Last Man was optioned in October of 2015, after the movie option didn't pan out.

Whether or not either of these actually see TV is yet to be seen. I have a feeling both are on the "optioned" pile until their rights are up.

That doesn't mean that both are not good reads. Unfortunate that the option tag has to drive the price.

Invincible is a great pick.

Walking Dead #80. Interesting pick and had not heard about it. Wouldn't you say that the number on the census is simply a result of submission? There isn't anything special about that issue that would drive submissions outside of 9.8 run collectors.

80 has 32 9.8 out of 63 total submissions. 51% return rate at 9.8.

Just looking at some other issues around that time:

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Unless WD books fall into my lap for nothing I pass on them now. Too many hands in that pot now. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I know people buying 50 copies of an issue that's when I leave.

I love Invincible and I hope the book falls in prices so I can snag it up. I used to make a killing on issues 7-12 years back.

I think American Vampire would also be a book that might be something long term to look at.

Slab prices dropped by almost half because the show stinks. Bad casting all around and they changed too much that didn't need to be changed. I understand certain things had to go because it's on regular cable but it's so ridiculous I can't even "hate watch" it. For all of my gripes about The Watchmen movie, it's a masterpiece compared to this drek

Personally, I find Bone to have greater mass and all ages appeal than titles mentioned in this thread. Kinda like Tin Tin.

Exceptions to every rule. If this is even a rule. But Bone might be made more special due to its wide appeal to kids and adults, and kids who become adults. Plus, I don't think it was a highly publicized first appearance, and the print run was most likely pretty tiny. So win/win there.

It just seems to me that for a first appearance book to be truly lasting, to be a key that's sought after for years and years, the character has to be in the spot light continually. Or at least, has to be seen regularly in some capacity. The more popular the character at any one time, the more hot the book.

I think Yorick from Y is a great character. Heck, a lot of the characters in the book are fantastic. But after the show has come and gone, will they still be remembered? Discussed? Sought after?

Don't get me wrong, I think Y as key or speculation prospect has merits. But I'm not sure of its long term appeal. (Then again, it's hard to imagine that many modern keys being so 10 years from now....time will tell.)

Here are a few for thoughts

No brainers

NYX 3 - for a few more months.

Saga 1

Runaways 1

Hulk 92 - Long term this one is a classic, but short term will grow.

Y the Last Man 1 Long Term

Some undervalued or at least I think so.

ASM 4 variant/regular - because its still cheap

Darth Vader 3 - Until she shows up in film then she goes to top list

Some longer shots or very very undervalued

Slapstick 1

NTT 26

Alpha Flight 51

NTT 32

Planetary 1

Love a lot of these picks but I don't know what CGC grade you would have to buy to get some of those books under $300. Saga is an example that comes to mind. In CGC 9.8, there are close to 2000 copies on the market. A 9.8 copy brings well over $300 so it's out in this spec. So, that would probably leave us investing in a CGC 9.6. Is that something you feel is a good investment ?

I'm not sure. It might be but I'd prefer to take my chances on a 9.8 of something like Runaways. I noticed you went heavy on BKV stuff with 3 out of your 5 no brainers. I agree that his stuff is buy, buy, buy but what do you think of his titles like Ex Machina or Paper girls that sell well but haven't really caught fire ?

My favorites on your list are Planetary #1 and ASM #4. I am up to 14 or 15 nice copies of Planetary and still have quite a few ASM #4. Really safe books for the money imo.

Nice list ad thanks for sharing. :applause: