• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What ONE piece of art would you be willing to give up your entire collection for

94 posts in this topic

Forget one piece, I don't think there's a COLLECTION out there that I'd trade mine for, straight up. For all the reasons that have been expressed...I'm just too emotionally attached to mine. Which, when you consider relative value, is just plain dumb.

This is also why, for those of us whose collections hold so much meaning (beyond reason), OA is a terrible "investment". We won't "cash out", in whatever form, so any appreciation of value that has occurred is largely theoretical.

I would trade my collection for Joe Le's collection in a heartbeat. Joe, if you're reading this, get in touch with me! Same goes for Mike Burkey's collection, Eric Roberts, and Dave Mandel. Not to mention the collections of a few local collectors here in Toronto ( you know who you are) :grin:

Forget one piece, I don't think there's a COLLECTION out there that I'd trade mine for, straight up. For all the reasons that have been expressed...I'm just too emotionally attached to mine. Which, when you consider relative value, is just plain dumb.

This is also why, for those of us whose collections hold so much meaning (beyond reason), OA is a terrible "investment". We won't "cash out", in whatever form, so any appreciation of value that has occurred is largely theoretical.

I would trade my collection for Joe Le's collection in a heartbeat. Joe, if you're reading this, get in touch with me! Same goes for Mike Burkey's collection, Eric Roberts, and Dave Mandel. Not to mention the collections of a few local collectors here in Toronto ( you know who you are) :grin:

I would go a step further and trade someone else's collection for another that I would then add to mine.! That I woulkd do. In a heart beat. Eric, give your collection to Dave, Dave give your collection to me. Eric, bad luck, go buy some new stuff.

It's difficult for me because I'm one of the fortunates who has managed to get their top piece. But had I not, I still don't think I would trade it all for the one. But there are a couple pieces I'd nearly trade it all for.

If FMV was not a consideration, I would trade my entire collection in a second for the Lee/Williams cover to X-Men #3.

Unfortunately, my collection amounts to a small fraction of what that cover's worth. If I were to trade based on value, I would probably end up with something most bigger collectors would deem a throwaway piece. I could name any number of pages I'd love to have in the range of what my collection's worth, but I don't think I would trade everything I have to get one of them. Furthermore, if my collection were to ever catch up to that X-Men cover in terms of overall value, it would mean that my collection would most likely be filled with lots of great stuff, thus decreasing the likelihood that I would make the trade.

All that said, the idea of cutting the collection down to a handful of key pieces that I could put on permanent display is very appealing to me. If I could somehow trade my entire collection for my own personal top 5, I might be willing to do that, regardless of what I'd be giving up.

Great topic I do also have my number one most wanted piece.The Incredible Hulk 1 cover would make me weak at the knees, good call Dave! Just makes me really love the pieces I have been able to procure all the more.Sometimes you need to look at what you have as opposed to what you wish you had more often.

Great topic I do also have my number one most wanted piece.The Incredible Hulk 1 cover would make me weak at the knees, good call Dave! Just makes me really love the pieces I have been able to procure all the more.Sometimes you need to look at what you have as opposed to what you wish you had more often.

couldn't agree more Dom, I also have a very deep attachment to my collection which goes far beyond monetary value. It might be time to pull the portfolios and flip through them tonight after reading this thread

couldn't agree more Dom, I also have a very deep attachment to my collection which goes far beyond monetary value. It might be time to pull the portfolios and flip through them tonight after reading this thread

I went through mine two days ago and it was a great time. I was looking for something and by the time I found it decided to look through the few still left.

stinkininkin has a piece that I would trade a large number of my pieces for. But that will never happen, as he also has taste! :kidaround:

Well for me the answer is easier. I wouldn't do it, there isn't art out there that I would trade my entire collection for and still be equally happy as I am today (with my current collection)

Malvin

This is the mark of a true fan, removing economics from the equation and boiling it down to fandom regardless of bragging rights or economic windfall of owning a certain piece that's generally unobtainable. Kudos to Malvin !!!

I'd agree, and would even qualify the question with the caveat handcuff disclaimer of, trading an entire collection for one piece which you could never ever monetize and sell, so the decision isn't based on trading up economically.

Its interesting in that I think the majority of us wouldn't do it... yet I think the majority of comic collectors would jump at the chance to trade all their books at FMV towards a big grail... an AF15, batman 1, action 1, whatever.

Its interesting in that I think the majority of us wouldn't do it... yet I think the majority of comic collectors would jump at the chance to trade all their books at FMV towards a big grail... an AF15, batman 1, action 1, whatever.

In comics, just about any book is replaceable whereas Comic art is not.

However, it does appear to me that collectors are selling several smaller pieces to fund a larger piece (or two) more frequently these days.

It's difficult for me because I'm one of the fortunates who has managed to get their top piece. But had I not, I still don't think I would trade it all for the one. But there are a couple pieces I'd nearly trade it all for.

Same. I already have my personal grail. Sure, there's a lot of other things that appeal to me, but I wouldn't give up my collection for it.

However, if I could get the complete game show sequence from Sandman 4 while being able to keep the 2 pages from it I already have...then, done. No brainer. ;)

Taking all you said into account and what Brian Peck suggested. earlier. Could you be happy to keep the top piece you have and get rid of the rest?

This question goea out to everyone reading this.

As others have said, I couldn't trade my entire collection. About 25-30% of my collection has special meaning to me and I would want keep to the end.

Having said that, I would probably give up my collection for the original Tom Jung Star Wars movie painting if it were magically offered to me for a straight-up trade.

Price/value was only brought into this to represent he concept of owning the ultimate grail (could be personal) so much so that not only would you give up the other stuff you collected, but that you would be satisfied wih the one piece of art.

By making this grail =the value of your collection - it puts it in a more realistic setting for those of us that are not wealthy. If you have more money than you can spend, ( or a collection worth more than even the most valuable grail out there) then, the value part of this question will make less sense to you since there is no sacrifice required to achieve your collecting happiness.

Edited by Panelfan1

In comics, just about any book is replaceable whereas Comic art is not.

However, it does appear to me that collectors are selling several smaller pieces to fund a larger piece (or two) more frequently these days.

I have been collecting for some 30 years andI have amassed a large collection. I find I have many examples by an artist and have decided to narrow my collection is certain areas by selling some art which I use to fill holes elsewhere acquiring artists I don't yet have examples of.

Taking all you said into account and what Brian Peck suggested. earlier. Could you be happy to keep the top piece you have and get rid of the rest?

This question goea out to everyone reading this.

I imagine there is a number I could scale down to and be happy with my collection. If that were a single piece I feel I would miss the ones gone more than I might enjoy the one remaining as it might be a constant reminder of all that was gone. I really don't know how I would handle this ...