• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm opening up a brick and mortar this year and want some advice!!
7 7

725 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

The answer to your question (9th post down):

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/408892-im-opening-up-a-brick-and-mortar-this-year-and-want-some-advice/?page=32

When people ask me questions, I answer them. It never ceases to blow my mind how people bi*ch and moan about posts that they could VERY easily just skip right over, lol. And in the end posts like yours are the most worthless types of posts on forums in general as they offer absolutely nothing to the topic at all. You may not like my posts, but at least there was a point to my posts and they added something legitimate to the topic. What exactly did this post achieve, short of dragging on the very thing your bit*hing about to begin with? 

To get you to stop doing it after you said you would stop. 

Start your own thread and people will flock to it. Your stuff is very interesting. Its just not your thread.

Hi Genesis,

Could you provide some color on some of the other lines of business?  I'd be interested to know some of the business models on stuff like gaming, cards, etc.  I think a lot of us have pretty good knowledge on the comic line of business, but no clue on how different lines of revenue tie into the LCS over-all model.  We could probably even factor in some efficiency ratios, (capex/revenue/, gross margins, etc, etc).  

Thanks!

On 3/4/2018 at 6:35 AM, Bird said:

I don't know if a new store like Genesis Comics is able to throw $17K into one book. And he seems to have little time and want more space, so buying 5000 copies and mailing all those variants (packed bulletproof to insure no returns) doesn't seem an ideal plan at this point in time.

A local LCS had that Deadpool $10 comic filling the spaces under their back issues (they were on top of cabinets and the Deadpool were inside). That shop closed and he sold the back issues all at once the last weekend, never discounting those Deadpool issues.

I got a few of those deadpools 3 for $2 from one of my shops.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:37 PM, Mapleleafvann said:

Really sorry to hear about the loss of one of your close friends---a very challenging and trying time to say the least.  I'm sure I am not alone when I say that I am thinking good thoughts for you, your friends and for his family.  

Rough, and a reminder to us here, most of whom seem to be in their 40s

23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Agreed he says he will stop hijacking the thread and he keeps on doing it.

Ok, he really loves prints, he's excited about them. Maybe rent part of genesis's store out as a print gallery? Schlepping in from michigan would be a pain, but southwest had some really cheap fares to long island's macarthur airport last i looked.

4 hours ago, the blob said:

Ok, he really loves prints, he's excited about them. Maybe rent part of genesis's store out as a print gallery? Schlepping in from michigan would be a pain, but southwest had some really cheap fares to long island's macarthur airport last i looked.

Just advertise 'storage auctions, close-by'. 

21 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

Seems like you're doing a fine job, but this might be worth a read:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/i-hate-going-into-comic-book-stores-1823932988

I don't think you'll be able to get those people to step into a comic shop, no matter how well-lit, clean, and organized your shop is. Some people are perfectly content to order TPBs off Amazon or order digital. A lot of readers do not enjoy the experience of going to a shop like most of us. The internet has changed the way a lot of people get their comic fix. All you can do is try to make the experience enjoyable for those that are likely to go to a shop.

19 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I don't think you'll be able to get those people to step into a comic shop, no matter how well-lit, clean, and organized your shop is. Some people are perfectly content to order TPBs off Amazon or order digital. A lot of readers do not enjoy the experience of going to a shop like most of us. The internet has changed the way a lot of people get their comic fix. All you can do is try to make the experience enjoyable for those that are likely to go to a shop.

Well said.  Some of the comments in that blog are equally insightful, 'Comic Book Guy out of the Simpsons wasn't created out of nothing, after all.' lol

23 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

yeah, one complaint in there was that people were in his way.  How is a store owner supposed to keep someone from standing in front of a box and browsing?

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

The article and comments are a doozy! Some people apparently want to be greeted with 20 questions when they enter a store to feel loved and special.  A hello/smile is plenty for me.

Same. I'm 100% fine with "Welcome, let us know if you need anything" so something along those lines. Otherwise when ever I go into a shop, I pray that the employees aren't going to talk to me. I'm there to browse comics, I'm not looking to make new friends. I feel the same way about staff at restaurants. Pleasant and professional is what I'm looking for, otherwise, leave me alone. Then again, I'm an antisocial creep, so what do I know? 

24 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Same. I'm 100% fine with "Welcome, let us know if you need anything" so something along those lines. Otherwise when ever I go into a shop, I pray that the employees aren't going to talk to me. I'm there to browse comics, I'm not looking to make new friends. I feel the same way about staff at restaurants. Pleasant and professional is what I'm looking for, otherwise, leave me alone. Then again, I'm an antisocial creep, so what do I know? 

Sir, I've been trying to tell you, you're not wearing any pants!

On 3/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, the blob said:

Actually, I have enough frequent flyer miles to fly back and forth like 30+ times, probably even more. Unfortunately, my interest is in collecting prints, not selling them or showcasing them in other people's stores. I even started a separate thread just for print collecting!!! As for the people that continue (again and again and again) to bring up the hijacking of threads topic, which ironically does nothing but prolong the very thing they are complaining about, I will once again state plainly that when someone asks me a question, I answer it. Its as simple as that and I honestly couldn't care less whether they like it or not or wether they deem it hijacking a thread or not. And I will continue to answer questions posed directly to me, wether it be in this thread or any other thread for that matter. My advice to anyone that can't handle that fact is to use that ignore button. Its what its meant for. I certainly won't lose any sleep not having to listen to those people bit*ing and moaning anymore. In fact, I think the use of the ignore button should be used FAR more often. It separates people who either don't like each other, don't like the posts that people make, etc, and ultimately it makes for a much better forum all the way around. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

On 3/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, OrangeCrush said:

Actually, I have enough frequent flyer miles to fly back and forth like 30+ times, probably even more. Unfortunately, my interest is in collecting prints, not selling them or showcasing them in other people's stores. I even started a separate thread just for print collecting!!! As for the people that continue (again and again and again) to bring up the hijacking of threads topic, which ironically does nothing but prolong the very thing they are complaining about, I will once again state plainly that when someone asks me a question, I answer it. Its as simple as that and I honestly couldn't care less whether they like it or not or wether they deem it hijacking a thread or not. And I will continue to answer questions posed directly to me, wether it be in this thread or any other thread for that matter. My advice to anyone that can't handle that fact is to use that ignore button. Its what its meant for. I certainly won't lose any sleep not having to listen to those people bit*ing and moaning anymore. In fact, I think the use of the ignore button should be used FAR more often. It separates people who either don't like each other, don't like the posts that people make, etc, and ultimately it makes for a much better forum all the way around. 

I'm not giving you a hard time. I am the worst thread hijacker. I mean well, but I can't help myself.