• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Calgary Comic Expo (April 27-30)
2 2

338 posts in this topic

On ‎2017‎/‎03‎/‎13 at 1:20 PM, kimik said:

The Red & White show yesterday was okay. Lots of people but spending was light. Dave and Karl sold a GCS #1 variant for decent $$$ (9.8 potential), but that was the biggest single book sale the four of us had. In the end all of the small sales added up for a decent one-day show. I don't know if it would have made sense to travel from Vancouver/Victoria for it. 

Last weekend was better at the Edmonton Collector Con. The economy has not been hit as badly up here and it showed in the sales.

Teardown was interesting yesterday as well. Someone found a couple of panhandlers in the parking lot to help take down their wall racks:

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0239.thumb.JPG.2f548d70a3a1185205ab8acece7afc90.JPG

The one day Red White show was actually rather slow for sales in my opinion. I have done the Red White for 8 years now, this is the second march show ( in addition to the show in September ) and I think this is the worst Red White show I have done for sales revenue.

As mentioned Dave and I sold our Gotham City Sirens #1 variant to another dealer for $400 that we conservatively graded as a 9.6 raw ( shot at a CGC 9.8 ), but other than that it was small stuff selling. $1-$50 range stuff and our dollar books did not do as well as we hoped.

Our best sellers were golden age books, and books from a shortbox we bought at the show that buyers were interested in as I priced them sitting at the table.

If you consider travel costs, hotel costs and table costs + food, it was rather under-whelming and made us question if we should return.

Lots of potential buyers agonizing over that $2 book and putting it back in the box was my observation.

Customers talking about getting laid off from their jobs and pondering if buying that $5 dollar Conan the Barbarian is a good idea.

I am hoping the Calgary Expo is better....

42 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The one day Red White show was actually rather slow for sales in my opinion. I have done the Red White for 8 years now, this is the second march show ( in addition to the show in September ) and I think this is the worst Red White show I have done for sales revenue.

As mentioned Dave and I sold our Gotham City Sirens #1 variant to another dealer for $400 that we conservatively graded as a 9.6 raw ( shot at a CGC 9.8 ), but other than that it was small stuff selling. $1-$50 range stuff and our dollar books did not do as well as we hoped.

Our best sellers were golden age books, and books from a shortbox we bought at the show that buyers were interested in as I priced them sitting at the table.

If you consider travel costs, hotel costs and table costs + food, it was rather under-whelming and made us question if we should return.

Lots of potential buyers agonizing over that $2 book and putting it back in the box was my observation.

Customers talking about getting laid off from their jobs and pondering if buying that $5 dollar Conan the Barbarian is a good idea.

:wishluck:

Calgary Expo will be better just because Andy, Joey, greggy and his chauffeur, aardvark88, will be there.

Andy: if you ask me nicely I will bring the highly sought after 1st GA appearance of Popeye's :signfunny: peyote. Even Marc Emery, King of Cannabis Culture across Canada, has a copy of this treasure on his wall in his downtown Vancouver pot shop. Should be broken out in Overstreet if we hype it enough. ha, ha.

mGhldcEh.jpg

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Calgary is really hurting.  We've stayed in the same hotel for years - cause it's cheap - and the parking lot is always full.  This year the parking lot was perhaps 1/5 full so I'd expect their occupancy rate, on a Saturday, was around 20%.  I was shocked.

19 hours ago, joeypost said:

Looks like there still may be hockey to watch up in Calgary come  late April. :wishluck:

Here's hoping that they are either eliminated or on the road that weekend. The last time there was a playoff game the same day as the Expo it was a loooonnnngggg wait to exit the Stampede grounds.

16 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

True enough. The small Edmonton Collector Con the weekend before was about $1000 better in sales than the Red & White. The difference in the economy in Edmonton vs. Calgary is definitely reflected in comic sales. The other issue was seeing a couple of regular buyers set up as sellers. That takes a couple of the bigger spenders out of the market as well.

As low as sales were for this March show, I can remember in the mid 00s where hitting $300 was a good day at the fall Red & White show. :eek:

It was interesting to hear a few people mention that they would come back to get stuff in April at the Expo. I wonder how much that impacted results as well?

38 minutes ago, kimik said:

True enough. The small Edmonton Collector Con the weekend before was about $1000 better in sales than the Red & White. The difference in the economy in Edmonton vs. Calgary is definitely reflected in comic sales. The other issue was seeing a couple of regular buyers set up as sellers. That takes a couple of the bigger spenders out of the market as well.

As low as sales were for this March show, I can remember in the mid 00s where hitting $300 was a good day at the fall Red & White show. :eek:

It was interesting to hear a few people mention that they would come back to get stuff in April at the Expo. I wonder how much that impacted results as well?

I also noted hearing the show organizer talking about the increase in people attending the show as he proceeded to charge us slightly more for the next show.

46 minutes ago, kimik said:

Here's hoping that they are either eliminated or on the road that weekend. The last time there was a playoff game the same day as the Expo it was a loooonnnngggg wait to exit the Stampede grounds.

Just go to the game, DumDum. :p