• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French auction
3 3

117 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Comic Art Factory said:

Just the fact that some french collectors don't have the faintest idea of fair market value for modern american comic art, especially the ones that buy only at auctions. Also, this  was the first auction happening in France with so much modern art. Some results have been overpriced as a result. Not many, just a few. Sometimes there's no reason for a crazy price. 

Heh, thanks for the context :)

I briefly toyed with the idea of buying al the Fernandez Punisher art from Splash page due to the massive price disparity :p

Glad I don't have to.

Malvin

hey, remember this auction? I barely do. But I should be reminded tomorrow when I finally get my piece. Half the delay was my fault but these guys were less than helpful or professional in my opinion. The item was stuck in customs and both I and Fedex contacted the shipper as the invoice that they had sent was incomplete. They never responded to Fedex from what the rep told me this morning and after I was alerted I was able to provide the info and have it released. It was to be sent back on Monday so if I had to rely on them to fix the incomplete invoice I would be in a pickle. It really wasn't a big deal because as I said I was able to get them the info but the fact the they never replied to the French fedex office, or to me, about the invoice bothers me. It was not the first email to go without a reply either, even when I asked specifically for him to acknowledge receipt of my emails.

So not in hand yet but now so close! A real fustercluck and headache though. Being that this is a cornerstone grail I had to suck it up but a real headache and an auction house I won't deal with again lightly.

merde! Freaking Frenchie!

C_jU4g5W0AEexMa.jpgC_jU4hAXsAA0eXZ.jpg

I love France Our first Allies! But the packing job here is just ridiculous. My art could be fine in there but I am too angry to open it now. No wonder they require a release before shipping that states they are not professional packers and not responsible for damage in transit. Soft cardboard. It looks worse in person, visibly bent. I was going to frame this and proudly hang it on the wall but it may need a press first! If it is some sort of harder plastic sleeve I should be okay, we'll see soon enough.

I'll be back in a few hours and post it in the "this week in my art collection thread".

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

merde! Freaking Frenchie!

C_jU4g5W0AEexMa.jpgC_jU4hAXsAA0eXZ.jpg

I love France Our first Allies! But the packing job here is just ridiculous. My art could be fine in there but I am too angry to open it now. No wonder they require a release before shipping that states they are not professional packers and not responsible for damage in transit. Soft cardboard. It looks worse in person, visibly bent. I was going to frame this and proudly hang it on the wall but it may need a press first! If it is some sort of harder plastic sleeve I should be okay, we'll see soon enough.

I'll be back in a few hours and post it in the "this week in my art collection thread".

:wishluck:

completely infuriating. I am enraged right now. Multiple folds across the art due to poor packing. 

C_jlMGpU0AEpEy_.jpgC_jlMGpUIAA3ZRN.jpg

C_jlMGnUAAA80pR.jpg

C_jlMGnVoAA3ZQS.jpg

Any suggestions on recourse? They would not ship it until I sent them the release signed.

Edited by Bird

well, so so so so so so angry right now.

I tossed off an email to the auction house but don't expect much. I don't vent online at yelp or stuff like that but I will now.

This was my 2nd most expensive purchase ever and a piece  I have targeted it for years! So angry. Like gonna have a stroke angry! :sumo:

Edited by Bird

I am murderous right now. I took off work I was so excited to get this piece. Just under $7K and they skimp on the freakin' shipping materials.

Hi,

I can't ever imagine how you're feeling right now.

A few months ago, I did my best to help another US collector who bought a piece from another auction house based in France. They shipped the art framed, and of course, the glass broke and damaged the art. In this case, I kindly argued that they should at least have asked him first if he wanted the at to be shipped framed or unframed. But even with that small mistake of theirs, it was the same discussion over and over, as you usually agree to have them not responsible of what happens as soon as it leaves the auction house. They put the blame on the shipping company, even if the packaging material was not fit to ship art, even unframed. You know, even from France to Belgium, there has been bad surprises and you also have to sign this document or to agree through email. the other thing being that not everyone working in auction houses in Paris speak english fluently. 

Edited by Comic Art Factory

2 minutes ago, Comic Art Factory said:

Hi,

A few months ago, I did my best to help another US collector who bought a piece from another auction house based in France. They shipped the art framed, and of course, the glass broke and damaged the art. In this case, I did my best to kindly argue that they should at least have asked him first if he wanted the at to be shipped framed or unframed. But even with that small mistake of theirs, it was the same discussion over and over, as you usually agree to have them not responsible of what happens as soon as it leaves the auction house. They put the blame on the shipping company, even if the packaging material was not fit to ship art, even unframed. You know, even from France to Belgium, there has been bad surprises and you also have to sign this document or to agree through email. the other thing being that not everyone working in auction houses in Paris speak english fluently. 

Thanks. Yes I understand that I will not likely be getting any resolution. Please spread the word about the horrible packing amongst your collecting friends. Cornette St Cyr. I left a message on their facebook page as well. As I said there, I ship $5 comics with more care and reinforcements. 

16 minutes ago, Comic Art Factory said:

Hi,

A few months ago, I did my best to help another US collector who bought a piece from another auction house based in France. They shipped the art framed, and of course, the glass broke and damaged the art. In this case, I did my best to kindly argue that they should at least have asked him first if he wanted the at to be shipped framed or unframed. But even with that small mistake of theirs, it was the same discussion over and over, as you usually agree to have them not responsible of what happens as soon as it leaves the auction house. They put the blame on the shipping company, even if the packaging material was not fit to ship art, even unframed. You know, even from France to Belgium, there has been bad surprises and you also have to sign this document or to agree through email. the other thing being that not everyone working in auction houses in Paris speak english fluently. 

Thanks. Yes I understand that I will not likely be getting any resolution. Please spread the word about the horrible packing amongst your collecting friends. Cornette St Cyr. I left a message on their facebook page as well. As I said there, I ship $5 comics with more care and reinforcements. 

5 years ago I identified this as a piece I desperately wanted. I was ready to clear a wall for the framed art and now instead it looks like that.

Edited by Bird

1 minute ago, Comic Art Factory said:

Sending you my phone number on a PM. If I can help in any way, even if we know, they're gonna plead innocent.

Thank you. Maybe a lawyer here can chime in (I'll offer some free psychological advice in return?) but I may indeed be calling you.

Arrrrrgh,  a Batman • Starman • Hellboy  Mignola cover too.

That sucks royally. I feel for ya man. Really really.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a piece that required the shipper be released of all shipping responsibility in writing. I've had too many pieces arrive like yours did, though never from a purportedly reputable auction house or gallery. The kicker is WTF was the foam supposed to do?!? Protect it against being heavy? I bet shipping on it cost a pretty penny. Even with the lousy packing job, no doubt a heavier better made package wouldn't have cost much more to ship than this turd did.

What a kick in the balls.

Just now, ESeffinga said:

Arrrrrgh,  a Batman • Starman • Hellboy  Mignola cover too.

That sucks royally. I feel for ya man. Really really.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a piece that required the shipper be released of all shipping responsibility in writing. I've had too many pieces arrive like yours did, though never from a purportedly reputable auction house or gallery. The kicker is WTF was the foam supposed to do?!? Protect it against being heavy? I bet shipping on it cost a pretty penny. Even with the lousy packing job, no doubt a heavier better made package wouldn't have cost much more to ship than this turd did.

What a kick in the balls.

Exactly. I was not aware of the responsibility waiver when I bid and don't see mention of it on the site today but I wasn't searching every nook and crannie. Like you said, they made 1400 euro fees on this and one or two more pieces of hard board likely would have been enough. And I paid for shipping anyway, what does it cost them in materials, 10 Euro more?