• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black History Month: Show your African American & African covers.
5 5

111 posts in this topic

charliechan6_f.jpg
Just... WOW.... . Double Un PC whammy. Historical artifacts.

Probably not the place to discuss it, but I always thought that Charlie Chan was an interesting character. Obviously, particularly in the movies, he spoke with a stereotypical Asian accent and I can see people objecting to his having been played by two Caucasian actors (Warner Oland and Sydney Toler).

But, although the movies had their comic elements (mostly groan worthy to modern audiences), they were basically legit mystery stories with the Chan character as the hero with whom, presumably, the (mostly white) audiences were expected to identify.

And the plots typically involved Chan outwitting the, again mostly white, bad guys.

It's difficult to imagine similar movies being made for a mass audience in the 1930s and 1940s with the detective being black. Artifacts of the times for sure, but a long way, imo, from, say, Amos and Andy.

charliechan6_f.jpg
Just... WOW.... . Double Un PC whammy. Historical artifacts.

Probably not the place to discuss it, but I always thought that Charlie Chan was an interesting character. Obviously, particularly in the movies, he spoke with a stereotypical Asian accent and I can see people objecting to his having been played by two Caucasian actors (Warner Oland and Sydney Toler).

But, although the movies had their comic elements (mostly groan worthy to modern audiences), they were basically legit mystery stories with the Chan character as the hero with whom, presumably, the (mostly white) audiences were expected to identify.

And the plots typically involved Chan outwitting the, again mostly white, bad guys.

It's difficult to imagine similar movies being made for a mass audience in the 1930s and 1940s with the detective being black. Artifacts of the times for sure, but a long way, imo, from, say, Amos and Andy.

Spot on analysis. I've always wondered what 'place' the character in all of his carnations holds with Asian Americans today.

d8a06139-a4b6-4ad2-8bfb-b9bd1515543a_zpsgw2a1jkr.jpg

I be getting a box next time I be at de grocery store!

:cool:

Dr Love,

Is that a subscription-only back cover? There's a Tom Mix 4 on eBay now but it does not have that back cover, something more pedestrian (and full-page, hence my speculation that they used their own half-page house ad for sub copies to have space for the postal info and address. Am I correct?)