• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comic book artists are in your "Mt. Rushmore" ?
2 2

175 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

My definition of "Mt Rushmore worthy" is simple: Who is responsible for where we are today?

Said a bit differently:  "Who is responsible for where I am today?"  Someone still somehow connected to comic books (through OA) all these years later (even if I have stopped reading new material). 

These are the 70s/early 80s artists responsible for getting me under the comic book influence:

John Buscema--Avengers

Byrne---X-Men

Perez--Avengers

Tuska---Iron Man

Starlin Captain Marvel would be right there too.  Romita Jr/Layton close but by then I was already hooked.  I also did not get into Kirby's amazing work until after I was hooked. 

Here they are in order from left to right:

Washington -> George Perez
Jefferson -> Howard Chaykin
Roosevelt -> Bill Sienkiewicz
Lincoln -> a combo Dave Sim & Gerhard head (a la Two Face)

Each sculpture would have to be done in the style of the artist!

Edited by adampasz

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, drdroom reborn said:

As self-evident as that seems to you, I can promise you it is equally baffling to me how many comic fans still can't see how brilliant Kirby's writing was in the 70's. His are virtually the only mainstream US comics that hold up on the text end from that period of brilliant drawing and embarrassing literary pretense.

The more times I reread New Gods, the better I like it. I didn't love it right off the bat. I'm admittedly biased, but I strongly agree that the 4th World holds up better than the over-written "soulpain" books with which they shared the racks.

...and Malvin; I thought about it.    :bigsmile:

On February 22, 2017 at 1:41 PM, KirbyJack said:

The more times I reread New Gods, the better I like it. I didn't love it right off the bat. I'm admittedly biased, but I strongly agree that the 4th World holds up better than the over-written "soulpain" books with which they shared the racks.

...and Malvin; I thought about it.    :bigsmile:

Um, I'm still having difficulty trying to look at Kirby art.  Never mind tryng to understand the 'brilliance' of his artwork when I can't even get past the blocky crudeness of it all.  I've been trying to understand the appeal of Kirby for so long now with no progress.

and don't get me started on his 70s and 80s work, cause I'd rather look at (gasp!) Erik Larsen dreck!

Everyone has different opinions but I am suprised at Yoram's dislike of Kirby since the "blockiness" of his style has heavily influenced one of his favorites, Romita Jr.  Romita Jr.'s artistic style is closer to Kirby than to Romita Sr.  I would also state that the quality of the finished artwork of both Kirby and Romita Jr. are heavily dependent on their inkers.

Which brings me to the picks of the Shoveler ....  the only person thus far to list artists that are primarily inkers albeit finishers in certain instances.  I can only assume the Shoveler is also an inker.    Sometimes we as fans, forget the importance of a quality inker.  Well played my friend.

Cheers!

N.

13 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Everyone has different opinions but I am suprised at Yoram's dislike of Kirby since the "blockiness" of his style has heavily influenced one of his favorites, Romita Jr.  Romita Jr.'s artistic style is closer to Kirby than to Romita Sr.  I would also state that the quality of the finished artwork of both Kirby and Romita Jr. are heavily dependent on their inkers.

Which brings me to the picks of the Shoveler ....  the only person thus far to list artists that are primarily inkers albeit finishers in certain instances.  I can only assume the Shoveler is also an inker.    Sometimes we as fans, forget the importance of a quality inker.  Well played my friend.

Cheers!

N.

Yoram likes Romita Jr. art predominantly from 1978-1993, which includes his 1st run iron man, ASM (especially in collaboration with Roger Stern), 1st run xmen, DD, the 1st story arc of Punisher War Zone (dark n gritty art matched the mob storyline perfectly, IMHO), and the incredible DD Man Without Fear mini-series.  

What a great idea for a thread! Awesome how each list is different.

I have two versions of my admittedly highly personal list:

While I was collecting in the 80's:

1. John Byrne: his new X-Men was the whole reason I started collecting
  2. Frank Miller: Daredevil, breathtaking, gutsy, raw
  3. Jim Steranko: kaleidoscopic; nothing like it then or since
  4. Neal Adams: his work on the old X-Men left me feeling in the presence of something greater than comics

While I am collecting now:

1. Lou Fine: his line work and attention to detail is unparalleled (cf: my sig line)
  2. Jack Cole: astonishing creativity in how he could stretch, shrink, and bend Plas; oh, and The Claw
  3. Jerry Robinson: an iconic artist of GA Batman and Joker
  4. Dan Zolnerowich (naturally): some of the most glorious monsters, babes, and ray-guns of the Golden Age
  • if I could build two more faces on my Mt. Rushmore, they would look like Lily Renee and Wally Wood

Hard to pick just 4.

Kirby & Romita Sr. are definitely there.  

The last 2 spots are tricky.   Who do I pick?  Neal Adams?   Steranko?  Sam Keith?   Todd McFarlane?   John Tottlebon?  Starlin?  Ditko?   Jack Davis?  Ghastly Graham?   Risso?  Miller?

Probably would put Miller in as, apart from Kirby, nobody's art has as much "oomph" to it.  You can just feel the power in the panels. 

So who is the last in?  Dunno.  

53 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Hard to pick just 4.

Kirby & Romita Sr. are definitely there.  

The last 2 spots are tricky.   Who do I pick?  Neal Adams?   Steranko?  Sam Keith?   Todd McFarlane?   John Tottlebon?  Starlin?  Ditko?   Jack Davis?  Ghastly Graham?   Risso?  Miller?

Probably would put Miller in as, apart from Kirby, nobody's art has as much "oomph" to it.  You can just feel the power in the panels. 

So who is the last in?  Dunno.  

Has anyone mentioned Simonson yet?

5 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

No Tim Sale?

I was thinking biggest impact in comics as kid reading comics in the 80s.  If its strictly my personal favs Tim Sale and Ron Lim would go up there.

Edited by MONSTER