• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker's Best Covers (Top 10)
6 6

342 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

You're killing me Tony. I always thought this was a Baker girl. :frown:

I'm probably overstating it by saying there's a consensus that the cover is not by Baker. There are definitely people who argue that Baker at least worked on it. 

But the prevailing view seems to be that it's not him but an Iger shop artist mimicking his style.  

Unfortunately, Baker died before the birth of modern fandom, so he wasn't around to be interviewed about his career.  If he had been, he might have cleared up some of these mysteries. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Teen age romances 11 and 45 definitely need added. Jo-Jo 25 for sure!

I have not set up a poll either.  

If someone has the gumption and know how to set it up with all the books that would be awesome! 

SKM_C25817010714210_(1).jpg

What looks most like evidence for Baker, to me, are the two men, and the woman's hands (very gracefully drawn hands, those).  Here's what bugs me; Baker very rarely relied on faces in full profile, and when he did employ them, they usually came off looking like the woman on True Love Pictorial #6... and another example that just escaped me.  The female's profile on Jo-Jo 25 just doesn't quite look like Baker to me.  (Of course, the Jo-Jo was drawn a good four years before TLP #6, and his style did evolve a great deal during those years.)  I really don't know.

tlp6M_zpsd4f36f4b.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog

20 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
20 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

It ain't mine... (its new owner will soon be determined): 

ss4_2017b_HA.jpg

It's new owner will soon be determined... and simultaneously, separated from a large, large sum of cash...

Why, what in the world are you talking about.........it's sitting at piddly pocket change of only $12K, with still the live portion of the auction to go yet.  lol  :whatthe:

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Teen age romances 11 and 45 definitely need added. Jo-Jo 25 for sure!

I have not set up a poll either.  

If someone has the gumption and know how to set it up with all the books that would be awesome! 

SKM_C25817010714210_(1).jpg

No matter if Baker had a hand in this one who the heck wouldn't love it to death it screams good girl and then some :banana:

37 minutes ago, comicjack said:

No matter if Baker had a hand in this one who the heck wouldn't love it to death it screams good girl and then some :banana:

Oh, yeah.  Whatever the artist credit, it's a great cover. 

Edited by Sqeggs

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Sold for $14,340

Yeah, really didn't expect that most of the bidding had already been done!  Thought it might actually end closer to 18 to 20K. 

In 2014, I bought my 7.5 for $4,300.  I know several people were offered it before me and passed.  How our perspective on Bakers has changed!

20 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I had a chance at the 8.5 3 years ago in Chicago for $10K, but decided to go home to this.

sevenseas4.jpg

Man, that popping red could cause damage to the retinas, just from looking directly at it too long! 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Another great Baker cover?? (I sold this :cry:) Baker interiors. Iger shop cover?

IMG_1588.jpg

Cool cover but by someone from the Eiger shop rather than Baker.

9 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Another great Baker cover?? (I sold this :cry:) Baker interiors. Iger shop cover?

IMG_1588.jpg

Cool cover but by someone from the Eiger shop rather than Baker.

Yeah, the label indicates Baker (interior) art but not the cover. I think it reprints Baker South Seas Girl stories.