• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament---PRIZE THREAD
3 3

272 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

:bump:

Anyone else like to donate something to BlowUpTheMoon's great annual tradition? 

Great contest again and generous prizes.  Thank you for another year.

Prize:   Free comic book pressing on 4 modern books.  Free pre-screening by email.  Winner to pay for shipping including return shipping.  Please allow 2-4 weeks.  Bonus 20% off CGC modern grading fee if winner chooses to have books shipped to and graded by CGC.  USA only except if winner decides to have CGC grade books and have CGC ship back to them.  Winner must coordinate with CGC for international shipping rates.  Estimated value: $50 to $60. - donated by Spidermanbeyond    

picture of comic press.jpg

17 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

:bump:

Anyone else like to donate something to BlowUpTheMoon's great annual tradition? 

Any thought to requiring every participant donate a prize prior to starting it up.  Does not have to be big but I'd think people who enjoyed the contest would donate something.

52 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Any thought to requiring every participant donate a prize prior to starting it up.  Does not have to be big but I'd think people who enjoyed the contest would donate something.

I'm not a fan of the "pay-to-play" method.

42 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

+1

For a raffle-type event, sure.  For a grading contest, I also wouldn't force people for donations.  As a fellow organizer of a grading contest, I like to see as much participation as possible.  With restrictions like mandatory donations, it's counter-intuitive.

....unless the prizes were so incredible and that demanded an entry fee.... hm

6 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

- yea  - I think that this would limit participation - or have a lot of pure junk being used just to get in the door....

When I started doing the contests - I do not think I put anything up the first couple of times ( lol   was always smoked in the 1st round)    - - then  as soon as there was a chance of me scoring a prize --- started putting up some swag.   If there was a required entry - do not know if/when I would have joined.

Edited by W16227

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I wouldn't obligate anyone to do it, but you'd think people would do it on their own... 

Something else to consider:

If you finished 21st and there are only 20 prizes, you're out of luck.  If you finished 21st and donated a prize, you're gonna get a prize.

So if you donate one, there's a better chance you'll get one.

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The ultimate goal is participation in the contest and to foster community.  Prizes are greatly appreciated but I'd hate to discourage participation by demanding them.

I do want to thank everyone for the wonderful prizes they've donated and encourage more people to donate prizes..

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Something else to consider:

If you finished 21st and there are only 20 prizes, you're out of luck.  If you finished 21st and donated a prize, you're gonna get a prize.

So if you donate one, there's a better chance you'll get one.

Oooooo, I like your logic