• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

There are a few -- only a few -- sellers here who I'll jump on a book immediately if they post something I'm looking for, because I know from previous buying experiences with them that their grading is tight and their prices are low.

That said, I've seen some :takeit: 's thrown out so fast on some things that I've had to shake my head.

(shrug) There have definitely been cases where I'm content to wait on a book rather than rush to claim one only to make sure I get it. Unless it's an incredibly rare book, there will always be another copy down the road.

But that's me. Other people's mileage may vary.

My sentiments exactly.

A few people instantly come to mind that when their sales threads pop up, the sharks start circling. It's incredible to watch people pay over 3k for raw books listed 10 seconds prior to their claim. I couldn't even begin to make a decision like that in that amount of time. Good problem to have I guess? :shrug:

If the seller prices books at their grade estimate

and the seller always grades very very tightly

well then you know you are always getting a "deal" where the book is worth more than what you're paying, or looking at it from the other side, you know you're getting a nicer book than similarly priced copies.

If you've been looking for a VF/NM copy of GL/GA 76 and you're budget is $1200, and certain sellers are having their big/fast sales and they list a VF/NM copy for $1200, you know that you are more likely getting a NM- copy

whereas there are other sellers who might list a VF copy of a book and list it at VF prices and you know you're getting a Fn+ copy at best... and thus the sharks dont circle...

I cannot believe the frenzy in some FS threads, do people really look at what they are buying before pulling the trigger ? (shrug)

No... I'm convinced they don't in many cases. :screwy:

Not sure what the psychological term is for this behavior, but I'm sure there is one :D

lunacy

I usually am in a buying frenzy if I'm the first one in your sales threads

I cannot believe the frenzy in some FS threads, do people really look at what they are buying before pulling the trigger ? (shrug)

Not sure what the psychological term is for this behavior, but I'm sure there is one :D

lunacy

Lunacy, I'm home!

ricky-ricardo.jpg

I can never "insta-buy" in sales threads. As a general rule I usually think about a potential purchase for a while. Then, if I still want to pull the trigger, I do. Most of the time after thinking about it, I decide to pass, where my initial reaction was to definitely buy. Luckily, many times the item is taken within the time I'm thinking about it, which saves me lots of money. Somehow I still spend quite a bit on the hobby lol

Interesting tactic by a seller inserting politics into his own sales thread. Don't be surprised if a certain percentage of possible buyers will now refuse to buy from you. That could go for someone posting on either side of the political spectrum. I just don't see what there is to gain from it.

Edit: to be clear I am not the one who hit notify

Edited by CAHokie

Interesting tactic by a seller inserting politics into his own sales thread. Don't be surprised if a certain percentage of possible buyers will now refuse to buy from you. That could go for someone posting on either side of the political spectrum. I just don't see what there is to gain from it.

Which thread?

EDIT - Nevermind. Found it.

Edited by Red84

blame the wife

I stand corrected though regarding the deletion. I forgot that usually only occurs quickly with right leaning posts. I wonder if a sales thread referencing the current occupant or recent loser would stay as long? hm

I stand corrected though regarding the deletion. I forgot that usually only occurs quickly with right leaning posts. I wonder if a sales thread referencing the current occupant or recent loser would stay as long? hm

Not true. Transplant and I both got strikes for our left leaning posts.

Saying those posts were "leaning" is like saying this cargo ship is a tad off-center. :baiting:

cougarace-1.jpg

Noodlenogginitis :D

Saying those posts were "leaning" is like saying this cargo ship is a tad off-center. :baiting:

cougarace-1.jpg

They are both factually accurate. ;)

Just like a square is a parallelogram.