• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, crassus said:

I did see Sha's post, but If its not classified, can you explain how a thread about a public health issue ended up with the end of emojis?

A few people were constantly abusing the use of them. That is probably the most contentious thread around with a few very distinct opinions and the most points given out I've ever seen. Someone decided laughing while on a time out was a great way of continuing to push their agenda and a few others followed. 

They were asked repeatedly to stop, but they did not. 

We asked for a software change, I guess this was the only option. I would have preferred another way.

Just now, comicdonna said:

The emojis were used to troll other members.   An example would be someone posting they fell down a bank and broke their leg.  Then, someone posts a laugh emoj.  This type of behavior was happening on a large scale.  My hope is the admins will put them back and only focus on warning the people using them to troll others.  

Ok thanks for explaining, I understand the circumstances, but if someone were being trolled with a laugh emoji, wouldn't it be worse if the troll quoted it and laughed, meaning as a separate stand alone post? I try to put myself in the position of someone who feels threatened or belittled in some way by a laugh emoji, and I would feel far worse about a separate post quoting me and laughing at me that way. A laugh emoji chosen instead of a "like" or a "thank you" etc is more likely to get lost in other emojis in the same post, no?

1 minute ago, crassus said:

Ok thanks for explaining, I understand the circumstances, but if someone were being trolled with a laugh emoji, wouldn't it be worse if the troll quoted it and laughed, meaning as a separate stand alone post? I try to put myself in the position of someone who feels threatened or belittled in some way by a laugh emoji, and I would feel far worse about a separate post quoting me and laughing at me that way. A laugh emoji chosen instead of a "like" or a "thank you" etc is more likely to get lost in other emojis in the same post, no?

Apparently it was being done by people on vacation who could not post or quote. 

1 minute ago, crassus said:

It would be worse.  The  person doing it was restricted from posting.   He could not post.   Even when he could, he would troll using the emojis.   This happened 100's of times.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

more overreaching and overreacting

I thought I used the confused emoji to good effect yesterday too! 

In a vacuum, I'd agree, but in the context of what actually happening, people complaining about them constantly, there had to be a change.

The laughs  were even used when someone posted a death count  . I just have no words to explain that one.

Everyone is not going to be happy in an imperfect system and we are dealing with people. People are not perfect, but you know that stuff better than I do.

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Chronologically? Yes

I find some of the actions both surprising and disappointing. Other  opinions may vary.

@adampasz

I personally promise not to consider an  LOL or a smile thread crapping unless the thread person has a severe case of crankiness and insists...and in that case...why would anyone bother?

The more I read here, the more frustrating this whole debacle is, but in the grand scheme of things... it's a grain of sand.

We'll still have these lol ...just a few extra key strokes.

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for helping to keep the boards safe. It’s sad people can’t be more thoughtful and civilized.

Yes, this does seem like grain of sand. ...but, when you think about how important social media has become in everyone’s lives, especially now that many can’t meet in person, these little things can matter a lot.

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

It would be worse.  The  person doing it was restricted from posting.   He could not post.   Even when he could, he would troll using the emojis.   This happened 100's of times.

and it was not just one person posting them.

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

Apparently it was being done by people on vacation who could not post or quote. 

Yeah I get that, but since they've removed the emoji only as a selection from the "like" bar...and presumably when they are off vacation they can go back to doing it via post, then removing it from the like bar is not really solving the problem, its just moving the problem over one space, while depriving everyone else who otherwise knows how to behave like an adult. 

Just now, skypinkblu said:
2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

and it was not just one person posting them.

Yes.  I wanted to add, a few people were trolling this way thinking there would be no moderator action for it.   

Just now, adampasz said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm right here! lol

I was about to react to this post with a heart emoji, but I’m concerned @lizards2 will take it the wrong way...

lol Sensitive is not an adjective that I'm often accused of..., 

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

VERBOTTEN!

I will be by to confiscate your Archies.

One day.:sumo:

WHOA, WHOA....

Take it easy fella, walk it back. Be cool little porcupine, be cool. You don't want to harm those Archies. I know your upset, BUT YOU NEVER THREATEN SOMEONE'S ARCHIE COLLECTION.

I got cold sweats... I can't stand up, just the thought of it :sick: