• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Garystar said:

The listing showed best offer accepted so I assume this was an auction with £20 start and a best offer function, ie higher than starting point, whereby seller ends auction if he gets a good offer. Assume during auction he got offer for £120 and accepted it. Someone got a bargain.
It’s comics like this making me seriously considering selling some of my comics. My WWBN, Eternals, she-hulk 1, spider woman 1, black panther etc etc just sat in loft and never see light of day. They mean little to me other than being a completest. They were bought for pennies and seems logical to sell the prices they are now fetching. 

I agree with this totally, I sometimes cant believe the prices, I see books even listed here at times and think wow, that wont ever sell at that price and then seconds later someone takes it and others are saying what a bargain it was :whatthe:

I bought all this sort of stuff new and seen it in the bargain bins for years for a quid and no one cared, as you say, the completist in me wants to keep it all but I wont ever look or read these again and my missus will get ripped off when she sells everything in bulk when I am gone, so......(shrug)

Its a tough one, its hard to get motivated when you dont really need the money and dont have the energy, maybe if it wasnt for covid, I could have a nice relaxing world cruise and use some old funny books to pay for it lol

7 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

I agree with this totally, I sometimes cant believe the prices, I see books even listed here at times and think wow, that wont ever sell at that price and then seconds later someone takes it and others are saying what a bargain it was :whatthe:

I bought all this sort of stuff new and seen it in the bargain bins for years for a quid and no one cared, as you say, the completist in me wants to keep it all but I wont ever look or read these again and my missus will get ripped off when she sells everything in bulk when I am gone, so......(shrug)

Its a tough one, its hard to get motivated when you dont really need the money and dont have the energy, maybe if it wasnt for covid, I could have a nice relaxing world cruise and use some old funny books to pay for it lol

I picked up a 9p WBN #32 in a charity shop for 50p a few years back - the one and only time I've found a key in the wild. I gave it away in a competition here on the boards as I recall - I think to Lizards2. He's probably on a cruise right now, living it up on the proceeds :p

That said, it wasn't in great shape so maybe just a bus ride to the coast :bigsmile:

14 minutes ago, Antoni Veys said:

IW reprint with what looks like a Miller stamp.

comiceerie1.jpg

He'll be more at home here Antoni:

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I picked up a 9p WBN #32 in a charity shop for 50p a few years back - the one and only time I've found a key in the wild. I gave it away in a competition here on the boards as I recall - I think to Lizards2. He's probably on a cruise right now, living it up on the proceeds :p

That said, it wasn't in great shape so maybe just a bus ride to the coast :bigsmile:

I remember that lol

I wanted to win so bad Haha, I remember the contest was to analyze your post and come through with a summary or what the post could be summed up as. Or, lol

I remember lizards answer being like 3 seperate words or 4, and him winning ;)

I guess in my entry I misunderstood the goal, doh!

Good TIMES!!

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember that lol

I wanted to win so bad Haha, I remember the contest was to analyze your post and come through with a summary or what the post could be summed up as. Or, lol

I remember lizards answer being like 3 seperate words or 4, and him winning ;)

I guess in my entry I misunderstood the goal, doh!

Good TIMES!!

Blimey, you've got a good memory. Bloody years ago :grin:

10 minutes ago, Antoni Veys said:

Cents copy of FF # 2 with what looks like a Thorpe & Porter 10d stamp. Bought from a local newsagent in 1965 or 1966. Only just noticed it is a cents.

Did T & P recycle unsold Marvels from USA as well as Dcs?

comicff2.jpg

I don't think that is a T&P stamp - compare it to the standard 10d one they used:

Capture.PNG.fd183bc070852383771811aea81c80aa.PNG  1852623461_TP1-9Grid(Old10d).thumb.PNG.b0cd73fa2fcb6ef24efa5eb3705f379f.PNG

More likely that that is just some random shop stamp - all discussed in my aforementioned distribution thread Antoni - Marvel post embedded below:

17 minutes ago, Antoni Veys said:

Cents copy of FF # 2 with what looks like a Thorpe & Porter 10d stamp.

comicff2.jpg

Another example of that stamp type here on a DC that also has a T&P 9d stamp:

1286049418_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.82b11584e05f95289adb57e45ea22022.jpg

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Another example of that stamp type here on a DC that also has a T&P 9d stamp:

1286049418_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.82b11584e05f95289adb57e45ea22022.jpg

These stamps, I think, are those T & P put on recycled unsold stock. Most, but not all, were at reduced prices. Will upload a couple of examples.

The triangular stamp on this was found on comics alongside the regular 9d and 10d versions, usually on issues 2 or 3 years out of date. 

I had thought they tailed off about 1966/67, but have recently noticed a couple from 1971.

In theory, there is a chance they could turn up on anything from 1959 onwards.

Anyone want to do the spadework on gathering a full set? There could be even more than the 3021 or so Marvel UKPVs, as they appeared on anything t & P distributed.

comicjim109.jpg

49 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The triangular stamp on this was found on comics alongside the regular 9d and 10d versions, usually on issues 2 or 3 years out of date. 

I had thought they tailed off about 1966/67, but have recently noticed a couple from 1971.

In theory, there is a chance they could turn up on anything from 1959 onwards.

Anyone want to do the spadework on gathering a full set? There could be even more than the 3021 or so Marvel UKPVs, as they appeared on anything t & P distributed.

54 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

These stamps, I think, are those T & P put on recycled unsold stock. Most, but not all, were at reduced prices. Will upload a couple of examples.

Cool stuff guys but can you post them here please:

That thread is for discussions about UK stamps on US priced copies - this thread is for printed UK Price variants (thumbsu

Evening :)

Every so often, I like to browse old UK fanzines to see if any snippets jump out that fit with some of my UKPV research. Many do, as it turns out which adds to the comfort that I've captured them all correctly. More or less.

Here's one such snippet, from The Panelologist #5 from May 1976:

1756490667_ThePanelologist5May1976.PNG.d91ea95b898c5d9c68e93b79570ae7f3.PNG

So, how did they do?

• Kull #16 won't be coming over - check
  • Eternals will - check
  • In August we lose:
    • Marvel Chillers - check
    • Marvel Triple-Action - check
    • Son of Satan - check 
    • Strange Tales - wrong! One more snuck in

324238744_ThePanelologist5May1976b.thumb.PNG.34ce5c2a6bd7efbf536a4f65b74954e4.PNG

Woops, I forgot to add Son of Satan in.

2056998980_ThePanelologist5May1976c.PNG.e2608850f5d3f033fe19a67c2074b332.PNG

In other news, Nova arrived as promised. 

And the September Iron Fist did actually appear, but October didn't. Quite close.

And as for the 25 issues per month maximum...

1540343588_ThePanelologist5May1976d.thumb.PNG.ca90fcb5ce9bd0d32f10c0f360ab351c.PNG

22 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Evening :)

Every so often, I like to browse old UK fanzines to see if any snippets jump out that fit with some of my UKPV research. Many do, as it turns out which adds to the comfort that I've captured them all correctly. More or less.

Here's one such snippet, from The Paneologist #5 from May 1976:

1756490667_ThePanelologist5May1976.PNG.d91ea95b898c5d9c68e93b79570ae7f3.PNG

At first I thought this said 

KNULL

then about fell out my chair thinking about modern-day pence copies :tink: 

But I put on my thinking cap and figured myself a coffee break :ohnoez: