• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #25 1:1000 DESTROYED

49 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

According to the caption on the youtube video:

" Amazing Spider-Man 1:1000 Incentive cover. 
It came to us damaged and Marvel Instructed us to destroy it before they would send us a replacement. This is that destruction. The replacement was actually even worse so expect part 2 soon. 
(and because we have been asked, the reason the middle pages of the book fall out was because we actually had to remove most of the interior pages first to fit in the shredder) "

So it seems like he's getting "damaged" copies from Marvel, complaining to them, and they're telling him to destroy the damaged ones before they send him new ones (shrug)

He then confused things with what I'm assuming was a joke in the opening post:

Why would Marvel not want the comic back instead of having it be destroyed? Who knows if the book was even destroyed? I'm no expert on these things but couldn't this be faked and the OP would then end up with 2 copies? lol

Edited by Jordysnordy

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

He's not out the $3000.00 as he's getting a replacement copy but I agree with what you are saying.

He's not, no. But without going into the details too deeply, an item of significant value has just ceased to exist. There has to be a better way of resolving the receipt of damaged goods without destroying an item that still retains value both monetarily and from a collectors point of view.

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

Why would Marvel not want the comic back instead of having it be destroyed? Who knows if the book was even destroyed? I'm no expert on these things but couldn't this be faked and the OP would then up with 2 copies? lol

That's what I was thinking too. Marvel requiring the book be returned would make much more sense that requiring it be destroyed. I'm not a retailer so I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and take his word on it, no reason not to. That being said, it seems like a stupid policy on Marvel's part, and like you said, it could easily be faked.

2 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

He's not, no. But without going into the details too deeply, an item of significant value has just ceased to exist. There has to be a better way of resolving the receipt of damaged goods without destroying an item that still retains value both monetarily and from a collectors point of view.

That was my initial point - I don't agree with destroying any literature, no matter the value. Kids barely read today and this won't help that.

Isn't this just "tear off the cover and return it" 21st century style? I myself am skeptical due to the pages slipping out...why not show them rip them out as well?

Edited by Bird

39 minutes ago, Foley said:

It came to us damaged and Marvel Instructed us to destroy it before they would send us a replacement. This is that destruction. The replacement was actually even worse so expect part 2 soon. 
(and because we have been asked, the reason the middle pages of the book fall out was because we actually had to remove most of the interior pages first to fit in the shredder) "

So it seems like he's getting "damaged" copies from Marvel, complaining to them, and they're telling him to destroy the damaged ones before they send him new ones (shrug)

Maybe it would have helped if the OP had been a little clearer on what was happening here and his motivation.

Whatever the circumstances, watching a comic like that get shredded just pressed all the wrong buttons in my head, and helped to further prove my developing theory that there is nothing in the world that the right group of people can't conspire to turn into a disaster if given the chance. I can think of several ways a point could have been made in a positive and non-destructive way.

Still, your listening to an ex Spidey completist here, so what do you expect hm

Edited by Marwood & I
Reason for edit: Headache

It's very common to request items be destroyed to get a refund/replacement. Sideshow for example do the same thing with their statues as it's not worth shipping it back if there is a defect. In this case it just looks too easy to fake.

7 hours ago, Foley said:

YES, it was a joke (i.e. SARCASM IN PARENTHESES!), both issues came damaged FROM DIAMOND DISTRIBUTORS NOT MARVEL.  The HAIL HYDRA comment was a joke, sheesh...

2 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

YES, it was a joke (i.e. SARCASM IN PARENTHESES!), both issues came damaged FROM DIAMOND DISTRIBUTORS NOT MARVEL.  The HAIL HYDRA comment was a joke, sheesh...

I know, no need to shout. I think I was one of the few that understood. Sheesh.

OK, to clear up everyone's replies here is exactly what transpired AND MY POINT IN THE POST IS MY FRUSTRATION WITH DIAMOND DISTRIBUTION...

I pre-ordered the set of ASM #25 from a retailer a month before the release date of March 15th.  On March 14th the retailer emailed me with pictures that the book came damaged from Diamond due to poor packing.  He explained the process to me and that he was required to destroy the book provide the "proof" to Diamond in order to receive a replacement (BTW, this happens A LOT in the industry)...ALA the shredding.  I was then in daily communication with the retailer (who has been an absolute stand up person to work with) and he provides me with the tracking number for the replacement.

I call him the day the 2nd copy is delivered and he tells me that this book was damaged as well (with pictures via email) as the cover was detached from the interior.  They yet again destroyed the copy and Diamond has now shipped a third copy.  I am crossing my fingers that "FINALLY" Diamond can do something right, but at this point am not holding my breath.

I thought I could somehow "joke" about the whole mess, but apparently some of you are so quick to judge and make false claims.  This bothered me a great deal and upset me being it was a significant investment, but I'm trying to turn it around and "highlight" how utterly PATHETIC I think Diamond IS.  Rant over and I sincerely hope this clears things up.

Edited by LovetheLizard
misworded

8 minutes ago, Foley said:

I know, no need to shout. I think I was one of the few that understood. Sheesh.

did not intend to direct the comment at you personally, just cannot believe all the comments that jump to false conclusions.  Hopefully, my last post clarifies everything.  I can tell a lot of posters do not understand how these types of things are handled...I know I did not until this happened.  This entire experience has been awful and Diamond could care less.  My point was to bring light to how poor they are at what they do, but since they are the only Distributors for comics there is no choice.  The large majority of comic retailers are not very fond of Diamond to begin with.

1 minute ago, LovetheLizard said:

did not intend to direct the comment at you personally, just cannot believe all the comments that jump to false conclusions.  Hopefully, my last post clarifies everything.  I can tell a lot of posters do not understand how these types of things are handled...I know I did not until this happened.  This entire experience has been awful and Diamond could care less.  My point was to bring light to how poor they are at what they do, but since they are the only Distributors for comics there is no choice.  The large majority of comic retailers are not very fond of Diamond to begin with.

No offense taken my friend. I understand how frustrating this must be for you, I'd be peeved too. I can see them making one mistake, but to send a second damaged book is really bad form. I'll admit that I wasn't familiar with the process regarding having to destroy the book, but after I read the caption on Youtube, I understood what was going on.

For what it's worth, I don't think anybody meant to insinuate that you were gaming the system (faking the video), only that it "could" be done fairly easily if someone were so inclined.

I really hope they sort this out and you get a book that you're happy with after all the shenanigans. :foryou:

11 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

I wish you'd said all that in the first place. Apologies for any conclusion jumping from me. 

24 minutes ago, Foley said:

For what it's worth, I don't think anybody meant to insinuate that you were gaming the system (faking the video), only that it "could" be done fairly easily if someone were so inclined.

Yes exactly this.

20 hours ago, LovetheLizard said:

The comic is indeed real...it was mine. Why would you think it is s fake??  I can assure you that Diamond delivered not one, but 2 copies that had damage. In order to get another copy a retailer HAS TO show proof of destruction. Geez always someone overanalyzing something so straightforward..,

Maybe if you had said that in the first post, people wouldn't have had to draw their own conclusions?

-slym

1 hour ago, LovetheLizard said:

OK, to clear up everyone's replies here is exactly what transpired AND MY POINT IN THE POST IS MY FRUSTRATION WITH DIAMOND DISTRIBUTION...

I pre-ordered the set of ASM #25 from a retailer a month before the release date of March 15th.  On March 14th the retailer emailed me with pictures that the book came damaged from Diamond due to poor packing.  He explained the process to me and that he was required to destroy the book provide the "proof" to Diamond in order to receive a replacement (BTW, this happens A LOT in the industry)...ALA the shredding.  I was then in daily communication with the retailer (who has been an absolute stand up person to work with) and he provides me with the tracking number for the replacement.

I call him the day the 2nd copy is delivered and he tells me that this book was damaged as well (with pictures via email) as the cover was detached from the interior.  They yet again destroyed the copy and Diamond has now shipped a third copy.  I am crossing my fingers that "FINALLY" Diamond can do something right, but at this point am not holding my breath.

I thought I could somehow "joke" about the whole mess, but apparently some of you are so quick to judge and make false claims.  This bothered me a great deal and upset me being it was a significant investment, but I'm trying to turn it around and "highlight" how utterly PATHETIC I think Diamond IS.  Rant over and I sincerely hope this clears things up.

I like that this guy makes a joke no one understands, people form their own thoughts & express them, then he gets mad about it when he could have explained things right off the bat. Even starting with the "joke" in the first post & then telling the real reason in the same post afterward.

(shrug)

-slym

14 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

What's the point of shredding a comic or any book for that matter? If you really don't want it, donate it to a children's hospital or shelter so that kids can enjoy reading it. Is this supposed to be a protest against rare variants?

Well said.  This is just another boring attempt to put a middle finger at MA collectors, ho hum....*yawn*

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector
Typo!