• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The comic(s) that made you bawl your eyes out
4 4

109 posts in this topic

Gwen Stacy (the original)

Talia Al Ghul was the first female character I wanted to bone, but Gwen was the first one I fell in love with.  My dream girl.  Then that B*stard Roy Thomas killed her.

Edited by Brian48

Just now, Brian48 said:

Gwen Stacy (the original)

Talia Al Ghul was the first female character I wanted to bone, but Gwen was the first one I fell in love with.  My dream girl.  Then that Roy Thomas killed her.

It was Gerry Conway IIRC.

Putting aside the obvious ones, I was quite put out when Stegron bought it. You'd have had to have had a heart of stone to not shed a tear as his little Stegron claw sunk under that icy cold water....

asm166_30.thumb.jpg.bc4b47e65866fd69afbd7f0d88b8e5bd.jpg

10 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I always found the death of Captain Stacy more upsetting than Gwen.

I agree. Much more poignant. 

Wonder Woman 187. Lois Lane interviews Diana and is there when she sings starving children to their final rest.

End of Preacher was very emotional for me.

Strangers in Paradise. I Dream of You, ending... just pick a random spot and get tissue.

Locke and Key ending gets me too with the ghost on the back of the motorcycle. <fans eyes to keep makeup from running>

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

The Loathsome! A story from EC comics this should have won a pulitzer prize I remember reading this and the tears flooded out it was such a touching story.

Yup.  Classic Weird Science story about a misunderstood little mutant girl. 

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I always found the death of Captain Stacy more upsetting than Gwen.

I've always valued my ASM 90 more than my ASM 121 for that reason.

Both are great books, of course.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

ea6d146f390415d7ca2bf8a87cf9e10f.jpg

Not many comics made me cry,but this one has to be up there.

This story really polarises, from those who think it's one of the worst ever issues of ASM to others like us who find it extremely affecting.

-Strangers in Paradise had a few tear jerking moments for me.

-When Tulip "died" in Preacher it really affected me.  It was so graphic.... and the look on Jesse's face.   I was very happy when she was brought back.  Also, when Jesse fell out of the Plane and Cassidy caught him with one hand.  His hand was burning up but he wouldn't let go.  Jesse told him to let go and finally had to use the "word" on him.  

-Gwen, of course.

18 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

-Strangers in Paradise had a few tear jerking moments for me.

-When Tulip "died" in Preacher it really affected me.  It was so graphic.... and the look on Jesse's face.   I was very happy when she was brought back.  Also, when Jesse fell out of the Plane and Cassidy caught him with one hand.  His hand was burning up but he wouldn't let go.  Jesse told him to let go and finally had to use the "word" on him.  

-Gwen, of course.

Pow!  You crushed it!  I knew lots would say Gwen.  SIP & Tulip were what I was going to post.

MTIO 34 is a great call I had forgotten about.

ASM 121

Death of CM

FF191

The Last Avengers Story

x-Men 137 (Though to this day I want to see a What If where the Beast has an a-ha moment and calls in his Avengers buddies and Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Wondy, the Vision et al mop the floor with the imitation Legion). 

And, in a good way, Avengers #4 when the cop on the street spots Cap.

14 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Pride of Baghdad.  Vertigo one-shot written by Brian K. Vaughan.   This book will haunt you.  I'm serious, its been 10 years since I read it, and just thinking about it makes me feel the same way I felt when I finished it.  Not for the weak willed.

Absolutely.  I even gave the TPB to my father in law (who is a retired professor of Middle Eastern Studies) just because it's so powerful of a story.