• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. Temporary Boards

49 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

All of the content is still here.

True, the search function here is (at least currently) limited date-wise. But you can still use real search engines (like Google) to find older content, just like you almost had to on the old boards to actually have a chance at finding anything.

This is currently a significant issue. But it was addressed here and hopefully it won't be much longer before it's implemented. :wishluck:

For all intents and purposes, old deep threads are now lost. Google was always a necessary component of searching on the old boards. With old threads not indexed and without being able to locate proper search words it’s not going to be possible. I’m not going to waste time arguing.

I’d be happy to be proven an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and shown how easy it is though. Let’s pick an easy one. Can you pull up the thread where Josh and George hash it out regarding Comiclink being included in GPA?

6 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

For all intents and purposes, old deep threads are now lost. Google was always a necessary component of searching on the old boards. With old threads not indexed and without being able to locate proper search words it’s not going to be possible. I’m not going to waste time arguing.

I’d be happy to be proven an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and shown how easy it is though. Let’s pick an easy one. Can you pull up the thread where Josh and George hash it out regarding Comiclink being included in GPA?

I typed 'comiclink gpa boards' into Google and got this:

Is that it?

33 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Well, never before have I searched for a specific thread/post that I don't even vaguely remember, but is it one of these?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dick Pontoon said:

Don't panic - we value all that old stuff too! There are a few things that are good to know here:

Redirects

There is a redirect file that translates old board URLs into new board URLs. It's working, but it seems there are either some odd URL patterns, or some posts missing from the process. But, for example, if you visit the Noob Guide, you can click lots of links in there - all pointing at the old boards, that now land on the new boards. SOME of the links aren't working right :sorry:. We're finding out why.

Here are two examples - one works, one doesn't, but they are constructed the same. We have a ticket filed with invision.

Doesn't work
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8074615#Post8074615

Does work:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472

Boards Search

This is currently limited to the last 4 years of content. However, we anticipate cranking this back up to the full database eventually.

Google Search

Now that we've started doing redirects from the old boards to the new, the search engines will be plowing through the content here and indexing it all, regardless of whether the old boards links work. We are currently seeing over 1,200+ guests on the boards for exactly that reason - lots of spidering and crawling. So if it isn't indexed now, it soon will be.

We won't end up losing anything.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

Don't panic - we value all that old stuff too! There are a few things that are good to know here:

Redirects

There is a redirect file that translates old board URLs into new board URLs. It's working, but it seems there are either some odd URL patterns, or some posts missing from the process. But, for example, if you visit the Noob Guide, you can click lots of links in there - all pointing at the old boards, that now land on the new boards. SOME of the links aren't working right :sorry:. We're finding out why.

Here are two examples - one works, one doesn't, but they are constructed the same. We have a ticket filed with invision.

Doesn't work
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8074615#Post8074615

Does work:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472

Boards Search

This is currently limited to the last 4 years of content. However, we anticipate cranking this back up to the full database eventually.

Google Search

Now that we've started doing redirects from the old boards to the new, the search engines will be plowing through the content here and indexing it all, regardless of whether the old boards links work. We are currently seeing over 1,200+ guests on the boards for exactly that reason - lots of spidering and crawling. So if it isn't indexed now, it soon will be.

We won't end up losing anything.

Splendid, thank you Architecht ?

I remember you I remember 
You I remember you
I remember lying awake at night and thinking just of you
But things don't last forever and somehow baby
They never really do 
They never really do

I remember you I remember 
You I remember you
I remember lying awake at night and thinking just of you
But things don't last forever and somehow baby