• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. Temporary Boards

49 posts in this topic

Wow. This really, really, really sucks. An incredible wealth of information is now gone. I'd like to think that all will eventually be reinstated and SEARCHABLE here, but somehow I doubt it. Tons of vital reference has now disappeared. What an awesomely stupid decision that was.

Well I guess there goes the Birthday Threads also because without the old boards I don't have anyone's birthdays. Yeah I know some people don't like them anyways (shrug)

1 hour ago, Azkaban said:

Well I guess there goes the Birthday Threads also because without the old boards I don't have anyone's birthdays. Yeah I know some people don't like them anyways (shrug)

Isn't there a section for birthday dates?

2 hours ago, Azkaban said:

I love and appreciate your efforts sir.

We all knew it was coming I guess. Given the depth of feeling towards it, it would have been nice if CGC or someone on the staff could have made an announcement saying that it was closing, and what that meant for things like the search history capability, birthdays etc. Arch seems to me to be running the show single handedly and he must be so busy. But a few well timed, well judged pieces of communication once in a while would really help us all along. It gets frustrating always having to react to things as they happen, out of the blue, and then to have so many questions left hanging. I can understand that questions in general threads may get missed or ignored,  but many of the ones in the valid questions section get ignored. I would like to see everything raised there have an initial acknowledgment response from the admin team, so we don't feel we're talking to ourselves.

Resources may be a factor, but the communication for this whole change event has not been great, and continues to not be great. And I really like the new boards. 

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

4 hours ago, Azkaban said:

I love and appreciate your efforts sir.

As do I. Now where am I going to post the photo of Jerry Garcia holding a Happy B-Day sign?

8 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Ha! No one wants you to wish happy birthday to anyone! :p 

8 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Isn't there a section for birthday dates?

No. I asked Arch when the new boards went live and he responded the new board shows not only the birthday but the year and some people in the beta test didn't like showing their age so they have hid it for now. I've just been going back on the old boards and finding them everyday. I guess I can go back thru my post from last year and do them that way but it will only get the ones I have done before and not anyone new.

I haven't searched extensively, but the few searches I ran using Google search parameters "site:cgccomics.com "keyword1 keyword2 etc" produced a result with an active link on these new forums.

The snag of course is any embedded link using "boards.collectors-society.com" in the url string will no longer work.

However from an archiving perspective, it seems the migration has kept relevant threads. I'm sure a few of the "greatest threads" posts which compiled links using the old boards url will be rendered useless - hopefully a few of the ones which show the full thread link so you can see part of the words from the title of the post, or those that included a title of the thread along with the link can still be mined. I prefer using Google to the native search feature of the boards.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Wow. This really, really, really sucks. An incredible wealth of information is now gone. I'd like to think that all will eventually be reinstated and SEARCHABLE here, but somehow I doubt it. Tons of vital reference has now disappeared. What an awesomely stupid decision that was.

All of the content is still here.

True, the search function here is (at least currently) limited date-wise. But you can still use real search engines (like Google) to find older content, just like you almost had to on the old boards to actually have a chance at finding anything.

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

Now all the probation list hyperlinks just default to the home page so there was no re-write to recapture hyperlinks from/to the old board format.

This is currently a significant issue. But it was addressed here and hopefully it won't be much longer before it's implemented. :wishluck: