• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas 2018, April 6-8, Dallas TX
1 1

265 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, JdMehring said:

Looks like Josh Williamson, Ed Mcguinness, Mark Texeira and Jordan Boyd have cancelled. Their pictures are greyed out now and no longer have active links though it doesn't say cancelled anywhere

They have cancelled. New website blues.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

I need some guidance from someone/anyone who has attended Dallas Fan Expo before. This is my first time, so I'm not familiar with the scene.

I was planning to make the trip for Saturday specifically because I wanted to try and get Jeff Goldblum's autograph. That's really the main reason I'm coming. But I unexpectedly have an unusual predicament. A family friend recently passed away and his memorial service was scheduled for 2:00 on the same Saturday, the 7th. Here's my questions. I'm trying to decide if its still possible for me to attend Fan Expo Saturday morning and get the signature I'm looking for.

Jeff Goldblum's first signing is scheduled for 11:45. I would need to get leave for the memorial service probably by 12:45 or 1:00 at the latest. For those of you who have been before and know the crowds...is it possible for me to get in and out of there with his signature by 12:45? Or am I crazy for even trying? What are some potential obstacles to making this happen?

Things I'm not certain of:

How long does it take to get everyone in the building once they open the doors at 10:00?

Do they have VIP lines for autographs that take precedent over the general public?

Looking for any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by tchalla8

3 hours ago, tchalla8 said:

I need some guidance from someone/anyone who has attended Dallas Fan Expo before. This is my first time, so I'm not familiar with the scene.

I was planning to make the trip for Saturday specifically because I wanted to try and get Jeff Goldblum's autograph. That's really the main reason I'm coming. But I unexpectedly have an unusual predicament. A family friend recently passed away and his memorial service was scheduled for 2:00 on the same Saturday, the 7th. Here's my questions. I'm trying to decide if its still possible for me to attend Fan Expo Saturday morning and get the signature I'm looking for.

Jeff Goldblum's first signing is scheduled for 11:45. I would need to get leave for the memorial service probably by 12:45 or 1:00 at the latest. For those of you who have been before and know the crowds...is it possible for me to get in and out of there with his signature by 12:45? Or am I crazy for even trying? What are some potential obstacles to making this happen?

How long does it take to get everyone in the building once they open the doors at 10:00?

Do they have VIP lines for autographs that take precedent over the general public?

Thanks!

I'll answer what I can here.

1. His first signing is SCHEDULED for 11:45. If you've been to a con before...he could show up late. No guarantee he's there right at the time, alas. Of course, he could show up early too.

2. It's not really "getting in the building" - it's getting onto the convention floor. You'll have no problem getting into the building. But you'll have to wait in line once inside to get your wristband, and then wait again to be let onto the floor. And then you'll have to traverse across the floor to the autograph area to camp out. That could all take 30 minutes maybe?

3. Yes, there are VIP lines that take precedence.

I don't think you're crazy for trying, but it's a tough squeeze. You could certainly get over to the autograph area around opening time, and wait for him, hoping to be one of the first in line. But he has to show up on time too. A lot of x factors in your scenario. Your main issue is that you only have 1 hour of time.

4 hours ago, tchalla8 said:

Thanks!

If he is there on time or early, and you are toward the front of the regular, non-VIP line, you would have a great chance of getting it done. That said, like was told to you, you need to get things done before. Make sure you get there early to get your wristband and then get there early to get into his line when they start allowing people to line up. I am not sure exactly how long it takes to get everyone in the building, but the earlier you get there the better. Maybe someone else knows better, Ive never gone at open, but maybe an hour or hour/half before open would get you in fast?

Edited by kevhtx

Actually hate to say it, but it looks like his photo ops are at 11:45. Those are the paid, scheduled ones I believe. Its not the autograph line. I bet he signs after that. If so, he probably won't sign until 1pm or so. Verify to be sure.

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

Actually hate to say it, but it looks like his photo ops are at 11:45. Those are the paid, scheduled ones I believe. Its not the autograph line. I bet he signs after that. If so, he probably won't sign until 1pm or so. Verify to be sure.

You probably have a point there. I probably need to just let this one go. It's a bummer. No telling when he might do one of these again.

17 hours ago, tchalla8 said:

You probably have a point there. I probably need to just let this one go. It's a bummer. No telling when he might do one of these again.

If you live here in Dallas and it is a comic that you want signed for cgc, you could probably pm dscott and get pricing and show up Friday or Saturday and drop off your book and get it done :) 

You wouldn't be able to "meet" Goldblum, but you would know it was signed and witnessed..... just an option :foryou: or you could pay for a photo-op and most definitely get to meet, have a photo before your time is up...and definitely for cheaper than a VIP pass....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Highly recommend you stop by John Bolton's table on the pro guest wall. He'll be bringing copies of his lavishly illustrated recent books - The Collected Shame Trilogy HC and the Hope one-shot that came out earlier this month. Marvel recently released an Omnibus edition that includes all of his back ups from Classic X-Men. John does maybe 1 or 2 conventions a year, and is visiting Texas from the UK. He also will have a folio with original art for sale. 

Hope_Cover_Web.jpg

Shame.jpg

STL054010.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

23 hours ago, kevhtx said:

On the flip side...it's almost possible he starts signing before that. He could sign for an hour before going to the photo op.

3 hours ago, TheCollector2016 said:

On the flip side...it's almost possible he starts signing before that. He could sign for an hour before going to the photo op.

I guess that's the confusing part. There's not a schedule for the actual autographs.

Edited by tchalla8

4 minutes ago, tchalla8 said:

I guess that's the confusing part. There's not schedule for the actual autographs.

I thought it said he was doing a panel or discussion at 11 though. I cant remember, but think it said that. Thats why I was thinking he was doing autographs after.

3 minutes ago, Jason Westlund said:

@Kevin Boyd is there a way we can contact you about a specific issue the we could use some help with at the Dallas Fan Expo?

You can always private message me here or send an email to kevin@fanexpohq.com

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Was a lanyard on the list of things to be included in the package? If yes, then I would take that up with customer service. If no, then they don’t provide one. If you feel they should, you should also let customer service know. I’ll relay that as well.

Edited by Kevin Boyd