• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May comiclink auction
2 2

99 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

You are correct, that is what I heard as well. They were talking about who inked what with regards to Klaus / Miller on DKR. Right in the middle of that conversation, Felix speaks up and says not only did McFarlane do some amount of inking on the mini, but McFarlane himself had confirmed it! I had never heard this before, and I figured Felix must be mistaken (I should have known better), because if that was the case, how the heck could it be that everyone didn't know? 

This link wasn't very hard to find once I started looking:

https://mcfarlane.com/blog/wayback-wednesday-frank-miller/

Cool, thanks for that link. Can't recall if I've seen that before. But the bit about Todd inking DKR has been around a while (he's talked about it before, elsewhere). Just not which specific page(s). Going by the description, sounds like the attached page was one of them. Which I owned for about 5 minutes. Getting it in hand...boy, the inks were sloppy.

If the Miller/Janson team had broken up over DKR, as was assumed, my reaction after going through a bunch of originals was that I wouldn't blame Frank if that's what happened. Not Klaus' best work by a mile. And knowing what we know now, we have a better understanding why.

DKR3p2.jpg

41 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Cool, thanks for that link. Can't recall if I've seen that before. But the bit about Todd inking DKR has been around a while (he's talked about it before, elsewhere). Just not which specific page(s). Going by the description, sounds like the attached page was one of them. Which I owned for about 5 minutes. Getting it in hand...boy, the inks were sloppy.

If the Miller/Janson team had broken up over DKR, as was assumed, my reaction after going through a bunch of originals was that I wouldn't blame Frank if that's what happened. Not Klaus' best work by a mile. And knowing what we know now, we have a better understanding why.

DKR3p2.jpg

cool. here's the note on HA https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-miller-and-klaus-janson-batman-the-dark-knight-3-batman-in-disguise-page-2-original-art-dc-1986-/a/7033-92136.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

Note that there are some differences between the original art and the published version, as Miller reportedly took issue with some of the inking and made some changes on pasteovers that aren't included with this lot. Differences include the face of the "old woman" in panel 5 and the face of the neo-Nazi in panel 7.

On May 9, 2017 at 9:15 PM, SquareChaos said:

You are correct, that is what I heard as well. They were talking about who inked what with regards to Klaus / Miller on DKR. Right in the middle of that conversation, Felix speaks up and says not only did McFarlane do some amount of inking on the mini, but McFarlane himself had confirmed it! I had never heard this before, and I figured Felix must be mistaken (I should have known better), because if that was the case, how the heck could it be that everyone didn't know? 

This link wasn't very hard to find once I started looking:

https://mcfarlane.com/blog/wayback-wednesday-frank-miller/

Thanks for finding the link, @SquareChaos

Wow--I had no idea some inkers had inking assistants. I ask this rhetorically, but you know, since we're already off-topic, do collectors care about this at all?

34 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Thanks for finding the link, @SquareChaos

Wow--I had no idea some inkers had inking assistants. I ask this rhetorically, but you know, since we're already off-topic, do collectors care about this at all?

I'd say yes.  For example, a page with Wally Wood inking credits to but was in reality inked by Dan Adkins would make a big difference to many folks.

19 minutes ago, Bird said:

He fixed that for you.

I love his work on Hulk even more than Spidey, but maybe I am being too nostalgic. 

Yeah, same here.  It's probably the Peter David writing that wins me over.

Malvin

25 minutes ago, Bird said:

He fixed that for you.

I love his work on Hulk even more than Spidey, but maybe I am being too nostalgic. 

Ohh yeah his work on Hulk was great too. 

On 5/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, visarspike said:

no matter if you like mcfarlane or not, he sold millions of comics, and the comiclink black Spiderman double page will go very high

The owner was asking 50.000 USD at the New Jersey Comic Con art in April. We'll see the auction result. 

10 hours ago, Bird said:

Do they even know? Has Greg contacted them?

I brought the auctions to Capullo's attention: I felt as though the work was primarily his (contrary to the auction descriptions), and so I contacted him to be sure.

After he confirmed my suspicions, I contacted ComicLink about it via email - but I've not received a response.

I'm glad to see Greg addressing it publicly.

I don't know what it said before but it looks like ComicLink revised  the description to say pencils by Capullo.

"McFarlane was the finisher on this cover with pencils by the equally talented Greg Capullo."

2 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

I don't know what it said before but it looks like ComicLink revised  the description to say pencils by Capullo.

"McFarlane was the finisher on this cover with pencils by the equally talented Greg Capullo."

PRIMARY ARTIST: Todd McFarlane  SECONDARY ARTIST: Greg Capullo ... is pretty much what I'm still seeing when I look at the preview. 

I received a reply from Comiclink:

They were very cordial and said that they had tried to contact Capullo themselves earlier,  but had unfortunately not received a reply. The item descriptions came from the consignor, and the information within them from someone believed to be a reliable source.

They have since updated the auction description for the Spawn #33 cover.

Unfortunately, the descriptions for the interior pages still remain the same, and the primary artist for all lots (including the cover) still list McFarlane. Hopefully they'll update the rest as well.

Update: It looks like Comiclink has now updated the interior page item descriptions as well. Well done Comiclink!

Edited by Lobstrosity