• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another signature-defiled page? Walking Dead cast

32 posts in this topic

another signature-defiled page? Walking Dead cast

Ouch. Would it be so wrong to have had it signed on the back? If art is really meaningful to me, I've asked artists to do that...in pencil, lol . But this one is rough

s-l1600.jpg

16 minutes ago, doxbane1 said:

I'd add the link to the eBay auction but I'm in a rush and don't know how to on these boards, it kicked out the one I tried...but $1800 BUY IT NOW !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-113-Charlie-Adlard-Original-Art-Page-Signed-12x-Cast-TV-Show-HC-/162449539892?hash=item25d2bf4334:g:rLIAAOSwXYtYtgja

7 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Amateurs. 

Stan Lee would have signed right over his face.

Judging by a couple of X-Men 137 pages I've seen, John Byrne would have signed right in the middle of the art with a giant Sharpie! 

I'm not a fan of sigs on art except in the borders. 

And I don't really collect current art, but isn't this just an ink over blue random page from a later issue? Don't really see it making much of a difference. If one of the sigs is from the actor portraying the character on the page, might even up the price a little. Who knows. 

Since it's not my wheelhouse I'm somewhat indifferent. 

It's kinda cool.  Something I would've probably done years ago when I first started collecting OA.   I wouldn't do it now (I think signing on the back would be "ok").   Just probably someone "new" that doesn't realize that it detracts more than it enhances the art.   In the end it's one page out of thousands from the series.   Who cares?

6 hours ago, Flambit said:

Judging by a couple of X-Men 137 pages I've seen, John Byrne would have signed right in the middle of the art with a giant Sharpie! 

And Steve Ditko would have used it as a cutting board!

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

It's kinda cool.  Something I would've probably done years ago when I first started collecting OA.   I wouldn't do it now (I think signing on the back would be "ok").   Just probably someone "new" that doesn't realize that it detracts more than it enhances the art.   In the end it's one page out of thousands from the series.   Who cares?

+1

Without the signatures, there's nothing special about the page.  With the signatures, it's a cool conversation piece.  It may not "enhance the art", but the page is more presentable with the signatures than not, IMO.  

As far as bad signings go, at the Frank Thorne OA exhibition opening at Illustration House in early 2015, someone asked Frank Thorne to sign the Marvel Feature v. 2 (feat. Red Sonja) #2 cover.  Frank's eyesight isn't that good, and he took a big red marker and signed his name...right on the art itself.  Several of us witnessed it, but we were all paralyzed by shock to stop it from happening.  Plus, once he put marker to art, it was too late to stop him anyway. :whatthe:   

I have never really objected to signing art - that much.  Guess it depends on how it's handled.

The last John Byrne one I saw was pretty horrific... it's the s incredible piece of Marvel history, with all these flawless little Austin lines, and right in this open space at the top, there's this big ugly signature (no disrespect to his signature - I like his signature - but man, should have been along the boarder or something!)

At the same time, back in the late 80s when this stuff was merely a collecting oddity, I got an Aparo Batman cover expressly so I could have Bob Kane sign it and - I know, ugh! - personalize it to me!   I would never do that again (and I'll never, ever sell the piece, so I don't regret it).   I just wanted something cool and Batman with Bob Kane's signature (I was a kid, didn't know about Bill Finger, so have mercy).  Plus, Aparo had personalized it to someone before I bought it.

But I actually like the Walking Dead page.  The signatures look cool, and I don't really think I would detract that much from the sale value, and they are arranged pleasingly, not in the art, and it doesn't look like a key page of any sort.

At the same time, I wouldn't let the cast of the Avengers anywhere near a Kirby Avengers page!  

I like it and think it would look good framed on the wall as a conversation piece. I don't follow WD art at all so the art itself is of no interest to me but the signatures make the piece more appealing which goes against my typical views on signed pages.