• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to determine a value on a restored comic

17 posts in this topic

I recently purchased an xmen 1, sent it in for grading and discovered that it was restored.

how do I know the value? Work done was a1 and a2 and grade was a 7.5 with ow pages.

thank you for your time and knowledge.. joe

22 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

I recently purchased an xmen 1, sent it in for grading and discovered that it was restored.

how do I know the value? Work done was a1 and a2 and grade was a 7.5 with ow pages.

Here are all the graders notes

Color touch (Archival material, high quality up to 1"" x 1"") Cover A-2
Cover cleaning (High quality) A-1
Piece fill cover (Archival material, high quality up to 1/2"" x 1/2"") Spine A-2
light, multiple crease right bottom of front cover
small, multiple stain right top of back cover
very small chip out right top of front cover

3 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

A 7.5 with similar restoration (More was done) sold for $2649 June 2016.  Since your book hasn't had as much I would guess (Just a guess) that its value is around $3k +/-.

2 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

Ouch, I have to peruse eBay and or PayPal to see if they will help when the seller said no restoration, complete. I will get my credit card company involved last I suppose

Considering what you paid I would return this for sure. Paypal will side with you.

There is no formula for determining the value of a restored book. Generally speaking, the higher the grade the lower a percentage a restored copy brings versus an unrestored copy of the same grade.  For instance, a 9.0 restored X-Men 1 recently sold for $7,500. An unrestored 9.0 sold the same month for $40,000. That is far, far less than 1/2. It's about 19%.  A 9.2 that was trimmed sold just a week ago for a little under $1400. A 9.2 unrestored is a 50K book.  That's 3% of unrestored. 

But in the lower grades - 2.0-4.0 -  then 1/2 to 2/3 is common. 

Comicquant's estimate of value is as good a guestimate of value that can be made short of selling it at an auction.  The last recorded unrestored  CGC 7.5 sold for $11,000.   Your best recourse is returning it or the seller giving you a bunch of your money back.  

No idea who the seller is....and it doesn't matter in terms of eBay and PayPal siding with you (they will) But this is professional, highest quality restoration. Difficult to detect. Unless the seller had the work done themselves, most likely they had no idea it was restored. So they are likely just as disappointed as you... 

I think there was an article in an Overstreet Guide a few years back on what restored comics were worth, but in today's market, they are worth whatever someone pays. X-men #1 has many graded copies out there that have been restored. The way I see it, if you want a nice key book that's been restored and you're planning on keeping it, I wouldn't worry about the investment aspect of it. You get a really nice book at a reduced price. In this case the buyer paid unrestored prices is what I gather.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:20 PM, BIZZARRO said:

I'm giving eBay a shot, then PayPal by Monday. Seller is asking me for the cgc notes.... I copy and pasted to comply with eBay's policy

You would have to do this with the CGC "Walkthru" price tier, right?  I don't see any other way that you'd get a book back from CGC in time to meet the paypal or ebay return deadlines.  And then, after paying the higher tier rate you find out it shouldn't have been submitted under that higher rate!  Frustrating.

This same thing happened to me on an Xmen 1, but I couldn't return it because I missed the return deadlines.

Restoration depends on extent and quality. I think grayzr is being generous with 1/2 amount. More like 30% or less in my opinion. Your book had professional restoration, so that would definitely yield more money vs an amateur doing the work. Some restoration can be reversed, but the cleaning can't. I guess you can always soil the book some, but it probably wouldn't work.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:10 AM, BIZZARRO said:

I invested a grip on a book I was lucky to return. The seller tried to appeal but I was given instructions to send back. I'm out the press and grade. About 800.00

Ouch. I am confused on something. When you sent it to the presser, didn't you have an option for an evaluation = don't work on it if they see resto ? 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

2 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I never knew I could request that. It was the 2nd time I used the service. 1st time were some of my orinial collection. Had I known I would have made it in time for eBay to help me

Did you use CCS, the pressing service branch of CGC ? If so, it's mentioned under Services and Fees/Pressing. I think this covers checking for resto ?

If you have chosen our screening service, we will decide which comics are appropriate candidates for pressing. Those comics that are determined to be appropriate candidates will be pressed. Screening fees are charged in addition to the pressing fees except for Walkthrough tier, where the screening fee will be waived if the services are performed. If we believe that the comic is not an appropriate candidate for pressing, you will pay only the screening fee, your comic will not be pressed and it will either be returned to you or transferred to CGC for grading if so designated.

There is no guarantee that with screening all restoration will be detected.  This is farther down on the page of the quote above

Downgrades and Missed Restoration

No matter the service that may be applied, CCS does not guarantee that a comic will receive a certain grade from CGC. While it is rare, it is possible that a comic can receive a lower grade from CGC after pressing. Additionally, it is possible that pressing will not lead to any grade change no matter how successful the service might have been. Futhermore, because of the subjective nature of restoration and restoration removal, CCS cannot guarantee a particular outcome. For more information, please review the CCS Services Terms and Conditions.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:39 PM, Tony S said:

A 9.2 that was trimmed sold just a week ago for a little under $1400. A 9.2 unrestored is a 50K book.  That's 3% of unrestored. 

But in the lower grades - 2.0-4.0 -  then 1/2 to 2/3 is common.

I assume you got this information from GPA. It was an error. I just looked into this and the supposed 9.2 restored X-Men #1 that sold in April 2017 for under $1400 was actually a restored 2.5, according to the actual CGC number paired with this listing (when you look it up on the CGC website). I alerted GPA of this and Andy investigated and removed the listing, repositioning it as a 2.5 (which makes total sense price-wise). The CGC number in question is 1465443003.

The only restored 9.2 X-Men #1 now showing on GPA is one that has been sold multiple times for substantially more than $1400. It does seem that lower-grade restored copies go for a larger percentage of unrestored copies than higher grade restoreds. But 3% is insanely low and if that ever happens then the buyer got an absolute steal, especially for grades so high that there are only a handful (okay, a few dozen) copies in the world that look that nice, restored or not. I'd say 10% of unrestored value is about right (for now), whereas those in lower grades would be more like 35%. That's just what I'm noticing.

Edited by donlas