• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just my eyes or is this curator pedigree a little underwhelming?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

What would you consider to be the other top ped from the SA?  Don/Maggie?

Depends on your criteria.

Pacific Coasts were fresh.

White Mountain was huge.

Bethlehems collection was big.

I don't know a lot about the Don /Maggie ped but it seemed pretty large.

Many of the peds don't have the earliest books in highest grades and that is where the Curator ped is very strong.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Depends on your criteria.

Pacific Coasts were fresh.

White Mountain was huge.

Bethlehems collection was big.

I don't know a lot about the Don /Maggie ped but it seemed pretty large.

Many of the peds don't have the earliest books in highest grades and that is where the Curator ped is very strong.

I don't own any White Mountain's or Bethlehem's, but my Pac Coast copy of Doc Strange 172 is just about perfect in my eyes.

3103161914222.jpg

8 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I don't own any White Mountain's or Bethlehem's, but my Pac Coast copy of Doc Strange 172 is just about perfect in my eyes.

That does look good! I never think about the color popping so much back then....deeper colors, with ink on different paper defitnitely looks...well different ha.

Nice book!!(thumbsu

On 4/24/2017 at 7:20 AM, entalmighty1 said:

This is the only Curator I've owned, and I can tell you the scans don't do the book justice.  Unrelated, I've found that sometimes (not always), posting books on auction sites that you plan on going after isn't always in your best interest, as you're just giving the auction house free advertising.  I'd love to upgrade my 9.2 to this Curator copy.  :whistle:

1503172232421.jpg

nm53RKtqcczp6.gif

On 4/24/2017 at 3:22 PM, crassus said:

+1 on this, imo for CGC to adopt a system (any system I guess) that offers objective consistency, several features of a raw book, including vibrancy of colour, would have to be discarded as impossible to measure- gloss, or reflectivity and colour are subjective. Creases, stains, folds etc are objective and either exist or do not exist. For me this has always been the essence of the dichotomy between technical grade (the number on the slab) and eye appeal, which is only knowable raw and in certain light. A scanner almost always makes a book look worse than it is. The book looks lovely to me, presently in the slab, I'm sure it will look even better raw, if you can afford to crack it out. 2c

What the sober guy said. :sumo:

On 4/27/2017 at 3:49 PM, entalmighty1 said:

What would you consider to be the other top ped from the SA?  Don/Maggie?

Some people favor the Pacific Coast pedigree as the best Silver Age collection ever uncovered.  The near-uniform structural quality of runs filled with near mint plus and near mint to mint books is unparalleled, but the collection didn't become nearly all near mint and better until the end of 1962.

Others like the White Mountain for the strength of its early keys and representation of tough ten cent DC comics.

Those two and the Curator collection with the best preserved paper of them all are the holy trinity of Silver Age pedigrees.

Edited by namisgr

Big fan of the White Mountain ped myself but maybe that's because a have a few of those 2c

Edited by Azkaban