• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance question...Felix the Cat

67 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I believe the first two appearances of Felix in "comic book" form are in the two "all picture stories" Big Little Books. Sorry but I don't have pictures of my copies in my bucket

I do have this late 1920's US published book. I wouldn't consider it an actual comic book though because the illustrations are not in panel form. Still coo and hard to find none the less.

felixyellowbook_zpsnrsiqxcg.jpg

I love the hobo bindle.I need to make one!

7 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

'well you can tell by the way I use my walk,

i'm a womans cat,no time to talk' lol

Ya know Jimmers, I'd never had you pegged for a Bee Gees fan. That song does have a certian bounce that I've come to appreciate as I've gotton older...

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Ya know Jimmers, I'd never had you pegged for a Bee Gees fan. That song does have a certian bounce that I've come to appreciate as I've gotton older...

It was either that or The Stooges...'I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm' but figured more people would get BeeGees lol

3 hours ago, Vintage_Paper said:

If you are talking about post 1933 US comic books. I believe the book is New Funnies 66 (If memory serves me right) (Its worth noting, Overstreet states Funnies 64 has Felix the Cat but I have verified with five people with that comic that Felix does not appear anywhere) There are several earlier platinum age books with Felix the Cat in them. 

Excellent. Thanks!

Felix the Cat 1927 - took a while but found on Amazon on all places.

Wonderful book, but too thick for CGC to slab.

I wonder if that's changed now with the new cases - anyone know?5903d1faa98a2_FelixTheCat1927.thumb.JPG.b0c5d0e55daf02b34d7cd6177cd825b2.JPG

3 hours ago, Beige said:

I wonder if that's changed now with the new cases - anyone know?5903d1faa98a2_FelixTheCat1927.thumb.JPG.b0c5d0e55daf02b34d7cd6177cd825b2.JPG

Nice! I'm a big Felix collector. Not just comics just anything mostly from the 1920's-1930's. Never seen that book before. Probably English?

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Nice! I'm a big Felix collector. Not just comics just anything mostly from the 1920's-1930's. Never seen that book before. Probably English?

Yes, it is from England published in 1924. There were also a different annual for the following years: 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, and 1929. They reprint the Sunday strips from the previous year and they add four color plates (which one or more commonly missing from surviving copies)

5 hours ago, Beige said:

Felix looks rather jagged back then

1. I hope Felix is coming back, as I have a complete run of the Dell series from 1948 that is just gathering dust.

2. I believe the first comic book appearance of Felix is Four Color Comics 15, which I think came out before New Funnies 66

3. The Felix story in New Funnies 66 is on the inside front cover and is a one page reprint.

Pat Sulivan was from Australia, so it would make sense if the earliest Felix was from Australia or the UK (which imported Australian books.) The UK did Annuals for many comics and they were usually collected works from previously released material. Therefore, there may be earlier Felix comics from the UK, or the Annual is collected strips. 

Here is a photo of a Felix comic size book that looks to reprint the strips. This is issue 2 from 1938, pre-dating Four Color 15. 

Looking for a solid "first appearance" as we define it is tricky for Felix, as he predates standard comic books. It really depends what you are looking for and that will vary by collector. There looks to be early newspaper strips, reprinting of newspaper strip in a comic, book appearance and finally a first original comic story. 

It's possible Four Color 15 is the first original comic story that was not a newspaper strip. Although 1942 is late in the history of Felix and many international comics are not properly documented. 

20180830_114600.jpg

20180830_114633.jpg

On 4/28/2017 at 3:03 PM, Robot Man said:

That's because it's the CPR counting song for chest compressions. :preach:

Speaking of "Stayin' Alive" I just saw where I'm responding to a post from April 2017. lol

Edited by valiantman

30 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

♫ "Felix the cat...the wonderful, wonderful cat...." ♪

You'll laugh so hard your side's will ache, your heart will pitter pat :whistle:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM