• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Hudson said:

This is probably "cheating", but there are ZERO of these on the census.  I have been told that CGC will not grade them (and I believe there are only 4 in existence).  Took me a long time to find this one and actually have a "boardie" to thank for telling me when it came up to auction (knowing I was looking for it).  One of the reasons I love the boards; great people looking to help each other and asking nothing in return.

5ae13a51d5e6d_IfTheDevilWouldTalkBW.thumb.jpg.03afb1e1528c24c2cce3de3ba015fded.jpg

I've seen a colored version of this, but never a B&W version.  Is this a misprint?  Is the yellow hand-colored?  Why won't CGC grade it?

19 hours ago, Hudson said:

This is probably "cheating", but there are ZERO of these on the census.  I have been told that CGC will not grade them (and I believe there are only 4 in existence).  Took me a long time to find this one and actually have a "boardie" to thank for telling me when it came up to auction (knowing I was looking for it).  One of the reasons I love the boards; great people looking to help each other and asking nothing in return.

5ae13a51d5e6d_IfTheDevilWouldTalkBW.thumb.jpg.03afb1e1528c24c2cce3de3ba015fded.jpg

Is this the preliminary version?  I think I've seen one slabbed by the other guys. (Or is this one that copy?)

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I've seen a colored version of this, but never a B&W version.  Is this a misprint?  Is the yellow hand-colored?  Why won't CGC grade it?

Yes, there were two color versions.  One in 1950 and another in 1958 (seen below).

The B&W was more likely an "ashcan" type version that came out before the 1950 color version.

The yellow unfortunately is the result of someone trying to color in their B&W copy themselves.  lol 

I have been told CGC will not grade B&W, because they are too easy to counterfeit.  I don't know if that is true, however, that is what I was told.

5ae25d3715370_IfTheDevil(2).thumb.jpg.39c007f78e0f2206ca58a690214c3d00.jpg

14 hours ago, Hudson said:

Yes, there were two color versions.  One in 1950 and another in 1958 (seen below).

The B&W was more likely an "ashcan" type version that came out before the 1950 color version.

The yellow unfortunately is the result of someone trying to color in their B&W copy themselves.  lol 

I have been told CGC will not grade B&W, because they are too easy to counterfeit.  I don't know if that is true, however, that is what I was told.

5ae25d3715370_IfTheDevil(2).thumb.jpg.39c007f78e0f2206ca58a690214c3d00.jpg

I believe that is their policy.  Wasn't always true.  I have a copy of Boy Explorers 2 (b&w, small size) that they graded.  But I also have a raw copy that they will no longer grade. I don't know whether there was a particular incident of attempted counterfeiting that led to the policy or whether they just decided that they lacked the ability to detect forgeries. 

On 4/18/2018 at 6:01 PM, circumstances said:

I so rarely see anything I really really want (which means I very rarely get anything new), but I just located and purchased a book I've wanted for a long time.

Hopefully I'll get it by May 1st so I can post it here to commemorate the one year anniversary of when I started this thread.

Welp, shipping delayed.

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

4 Most, Vol. 4 No. 3

Highest graded...2 copies on the census...

This one was just graded. Unfortunately, it has been mis-labeled...

20180502_132052.jpg

20180502_132121.jpg

CGC is usually fast in reslabbing these "mechanical errors" -- weird name for label typos.