• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a character hot?

29 posts in this topic

So I'm curious to know what others think on what makes a character a hot commodity? X-23 due to the movie but it was heating up before that? Venom because he got his own series? Well what about Venom Space Knight before the current Venom series (i know it wasn't that great...lol)

So what makes a character all of sudden get hot and everyone has to go find issues with that character and 1st appearance issues? Is it a movie release, tv series announcement, or is it just pure speculation?

Herd mentality. 

tumblr_n78nv4kmXI1r7yxrco1_400.gif

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Zacreth said:

So I'm curious to know what others think on what makes a character a hot commodity? X-23 due to the movie but it was heating up before that? Venom because he got his own series? Well what about Venom Space Knight before the current Venom series (i know it wasn't that great...lol)

So what makes a character all of sudden get hot and everyone has to go find issues with that character and 1st appearance issues? Is it a movie release, tv series announcement, or is it just pure speculation?

All 3 for sure.

There are reasons why a variant cover gets hot or a book like Catwoman can skyrocket because of nicely drawn boobs but from a character standpoint it boils down to movie/tv show rumors. 

Edited by 1Cool

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

There are reasons why a variant cover gets hot or a book like Catwoman can skyrocket because of nicely drawn boobs but from a character standpoint it boils down to movie/tv show rumors. 

I was going to jokingly say, "Boobs. Big ones" but that's true in some cases

I'm trying to remember an example of a character getting hot from a series, rather than TV/movie news.  I keep coming back to Comic Values Monthly putting Batman 155 and Lois 70 on their cover before Batman Returns came out, so the movie hype machine has been working for a while.

Did Reverse Flash spike in price because of Flashpoint, or the tv show?

17 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I'm trying to remember an example of a character getting hot from a series, rather than TV/movie news.  I keep coming back to Comic Values Monthly putting Batman 155 and Lois 70 on their cover before Batman Returns came out, so the movie hype machine has been working for a while.

Ghost Rider got a boost when Marvel brought him back in the 90s. So did Deathlok. Granted it wasn't as hot as what happens today when a movie is announced but it did happen.
Wolverine hit a new popularity high when the Miller mini was released

Edited by Jeffro.

25 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Ghost Rider got a boost when Marvel brought him back in the 90s. So did Deathlok. Granted it wasn't as hot as what happens today when a movie is announced but it did happen.
Wolverine hit a new popularity high when the Miller mini was released

The 80/90s did have a bunch of characters spike because of who was drawing the series or them being involved in great stories (Punisher Limited Series gave Punisher a spike, Longshot mini pushed up Longshot for a bit).  The hotness of a character (or coldness) based on movie/tv news has only been around for the last 10 years or so.  Prior to that it was a novelty to see characters on the big screen (Early Punisher, 1st FF movie, etc) but I don't remember a huge surge based on every rumor and pilot being ordered.

Edited by 1Cool

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Reverse Flash took off big time when he started showing up in the show.  It's been a minor key for awhile but the big push started when he announced to be on the show.  I can't think of a character who exploded in popularity due to fan appreciation in a long while. 

The biggest thing is probably if they Look cool. If the first appearance cover looks good thats also a plus.

Books like Hulk 181, ASM 129, WWBN 32 etc.  Also the potential of amazing action scenes, that gets the specs blood pumping.

long term potential to remain relevant. If the book is scarce in high grade then the prices will sky rocket.

I have mostly gone over monetary value but that typically reflects a characters level of hotness these days.

But potential movies and tv show speculation is probably the biggest factor on characters becoming hot.

Squirrel Girl for the win :banana:

Edited by grayzr

I like everyone's opinion and agree with all. I think we might have to separate from modern books to everything else. Books like Hulk #181 is a really cool cover plus the introduction of a new character.

Modern books only seem to be pumped up on speculation and media. It's optioned to be a movie, show, or something. One of the biggest recent reference would be X-23 and the announcement of a movie about a year ago. After the Logan movie the prices dipped a little but a NYX #3 in 9.8 commands a $1k price.

But aside from monetary value increasing, what about the actually popularity? Gwenpool and SpiderGwen are two that seems to have a lot of hype and people seemed to jump on the books but has the interest died down now after it's been a year or two..? Are they ever going to get popular again? I know that's really in the hands of the publisher to push the character as well to keep momentum going...

4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Haha we all know that's true since sex always sells. There's actually a cover I want to get because of the big "assets" a character has on a cover but don't have the funds to purchase it yet but I am on the look out for a 9.8...haha

4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I was going to un-jokingly say "Boobs".

PS: Because boobs are no joke.

Edited by F For Fake
Boobs

8 minutes ago, Zacreth said:

I like everyone's opinion and agree with all. I think we might have to separate from modern books to everything else. Books like Hulk #181 is a really cool cover plus the introduction of a new character.

Modern books only seem to be pumped up on speculation and media. It's optioned to be a movie, show, or something. One of the biggest recent reference would be X-23 and the announcement of a movie about a year ago. After the Logan movie the prices dipped a little but a NYX #3 in 9.8 commands a $1k price.

But aside from monetary value increasing, what about the actually popularity? Gwenpool and SpiderGwen are two that seems to have a lot of hype and people seemed to jump on the books but has the interest died down now after it's been a year or two..? Are they ever going to get popular again? I know that's really in the hands of the publisher to push the character as well to keep momentum going...

I think a few things were at play on IH #181. The cover was good but not great imo. Wolverine was introduced and was a cool character. There weren't a lot of characters in comics like him at the time while they are plentiful now.  Wendigo was also in that issue and he was pretty popular in his own right. IH #162 was always a good seller. Throw in the fact that shortly after this book came out, the Hulk had his own TV show. TV and movies have an impact on comic popularity now but when compared to today's stuff, the Hulk TV show was on 1 of 3 networks available at the time in primetime. He was everywhere from the Hadi Shrine Circus to lunchboxes, to TV shows, to well, if you could license it, he was on it.

I think X-23 came along at the right time. Marvel has increasingly pushed female and minority characters to the forefront of their franchise books. She looks cool and has probably been the most well received female character of the bunch.

Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool have very nice looking costumes and are slightly familiar because of both Gwen and Spider-man/Deadpool. I expect both will gain is popularity because Marvel is marketing them very well and the cosplayers seem to love them. We shall see...

5 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Because there are so many readers and collectors with a Y chromosome, it's hormonally inevitable.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
5 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Because there are so many readers and collectors with a Y chromosome, it's hormonally inevitable.

I thought we were all gay?  (shrug)