• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starlin and CGC
1 1

87 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Mephisto said:

IMG_3122.PNG

Was Starlin charging a signing fee at this show?  If so, how can someone find out for sure if the person getting the books done was a facilitator and not an independent client?

Also people are suggesting that CGC makes money from signings, guess what, CGC DOES NOT.  Creators who wish to set up private signings pocket 100% of the signing fees that are done at the CGC booth.  All set up by creators, NOT CGC. 

37 minutes ago, A-DONIS said:

Also people are suggesting that CGC makes money from signings, guess what, CGC DOES NOT.

CGC charges $10 extra for SS books, so they are definitely making money off the signatures. Plus, more books likely get slabbed overall due to SS than if there was no SS, so they definitely make some nice bank off of it.

9 hours ago, wombat said:

That is kind of disturbing. So the CGC witness didn't actually witness the signing?

You can drop stuff off to an artist without a witness and as long as they keep the books and a witness is there when you pick them up it is okay. I do it when I get sketch covers done, the witness just witnesses the handing over of the books from the creator. Nothing shady.

I saw the Facebook post too and was disheartened. Especially when I see the comments from people that don't get books signed and graded. I just don't get that animosity from other collectors. For Mr. Starlin I'm sure he has his reasons and has to do what he has to do.

7 hours ago, Bird said:

CGC charges $10 extra for SS books, so they are definitely making money off the signatures. Plus, more books likely get slabbed overall due to SS than if there was no SS, so they definitely make some nice bank off of it.

You can drop stuff off to an artist without a witness and as long as they keep the books and a witness is there when you pick them up it is okay. I do it when I get sketch covers done, the witness just witnesses the handing over of the books from the creator. Nothing shady.

Hate to point out the obvious to you but the extra cost GOES for the SS Yellow Label system, not because they're "making" money off the signature.   Furthermore, no creator is going to hold onto a stack of books that are signed.  Imagine if five people had ten books each, that's  a total of 50 books they would "hold" for you.

Best thing to do now is CGC contact Mr. Starlin and arrange any and all future signings for SS at the CGC booth.  It's easier on the creator and CGC.

Edited by A-DONIS

11 minutes ago, A-DONIS said:

Hate to point out the obvious to you but the extra cost GOES for the SS Yellow Label system, not because they're "making" money off the signature.

They may have to pay witnesses but it doesn't cost $10 to walk across the room and walk back. SS clearly increases the bottom line.

12 minutes ago, A-DONIS said:

Furthermore, no creator is going to hold onto a stack of books that are signed.  Imagine if five people had ten books each, that's  a total of 50 books they would "hold" for you.

I don't know about a stack but creators hold sketch covers for me whenever I get them done. (Which is not too often, granted.) Or do you think that the witness watches them draw? And yes I have had a few extra books signed and held by a creator working on a sketch.

19 hours ago, Mephisto said:

IMG_3122.PNG

I can't believe he'd really think that CGC would intentionally jeopardize their relationship with a creator over such a de minimis amount of money or books. Sounds like a simple miscommunication that he should have brought up with the booth. From personal experience as a creator's convention manager who's coordinated CGC witness signings and payments , and as a CGC witness myself there's no chance the witness was intentionally trying to cheat Starlin. 

The facts missing are:
Did Starlin coordinate with the booth for CGC to collect the fees for the signing?

If the answer to the above is "NO" then the payment and responsibility for the payment would be with the owner of the books who had the direct interaction with the creator.

If the witness was called away and came back the only way he would know that payment wasn't made to Starlin would be if Starlin himself or the owner of the books informed him of such.

Based on the above, it seems the ire is misplaced. 

6 hours ago, fullerjason said:

I saw the Facebook post too and was disheartened. Especially when I see the comments from people that don't get books signed and graded. I just don't get that animosity from other collectors. For Mr. Starlin I'm sure he has his reasons and has to do what he has to do.

You have to remember, most fans that DO NOT cgc, only know of cgc by going to shows and seeing the behavior of facilitators getting books signed.

59 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

You have to remember, most fans that DO NOT cgc, only know of cgc by going to shows and seeing the behavior of facilitators getting books signed.

Yeah, it's not getting better either. Mr. Starlin has posted a more descriptive reason, from his POV, as to what happened and why he made this decision. It's on his Facebook account for any of those interested. Again the comments section was nothing but "great job Jim", "they are screwing you over", "getting rich off your signatures" and "not true fans." Just awesome stuff in general after what appears to be just a minor accident.