• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on A Guardians of The Galaxy Collection?

11 posts in this topic

Advice on A Guardians of The Galaxy Collection?

I'm thinking About putting A Guardians Of The Galaxy Collection together and selling it, Basically with The first movie being so HUGE and now the Second coming out and adding new characters, I think a collection of Key Issues would sell well...But I've never sold Comics before ONLY collected, So I was hoping to list My Books that I'm going to put in the collection, With what are IMO The Grades of the books and I was hoping some of you here might tell me what A Good Asking price would be for this GOTG Collection.

Its 48 Books in total Which Includes 1st Appearances,Deaths and other Key Issues from characters involved in the first 2 GOTG movies

Here are The books I have-

*The Incredible Hulk #271(1st appearance of Racoon Rocket in Comics, 2nd overall Appearance)(2 Copies)
Copy #1-7.0 To 8.0
Copy #2-6.0 To 7.0(Water Damage On Bottom Of Cover)

*The Incredible Hulk #272(2nd appearance of Racoon Rocket in Comics, 3rd overall Appearance)(2 Copies)
Copy #1-7.5 To 8.5
Copy #2-6.0 To 7.0(Water Damage On Bottom Of Cover)

* The Invincible Iron Man #55(1st Appearance Of Drax The Destroyerand Thanos)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-4.0 to 5.0

*Strange Tales #180(1st Brief Appearance of Gamora)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-6.0 To 6.5

*Strange Tales #181(1st FULL Appearance of Gamora)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-6.5 To 7.5

*The Avengers #257(1st Appearance Of Nebula)(3 Copies)
Copy #1-8.0 To 8.5
Copy #2-7.0 To 8.0
Copy #3-8.0 To 9.0(Not Sure about Grade, Book is NM but IMO needs Pressed)

*The Defenders #27(1st Brief Appearance Of Starhawk)(2 Copy)
Copy #1-5.0 To 6.5
Copy #2-5.0 To 6.0

*The Defenders #28(1st Full Appearance Of Starhawk)(2 Copy)
Copy #1-5.0 To 5.5
Copy #2-4.5 To 5.0

*The Defenders #29(2nd Full Appearance Of Starhawk+Starhawk Joins GOTG)(2 Copy)
Copy #1-4.5 To 5.5
Copy #2-4.0 To 5.0

*Marvel Presents #3(3rd Full Appearance Of Starhawk + 1st Guardians Of The Galaxy Solo Book)
Copy #1-6.5 To 7.5

*The Avengers #112(1st Appearance of Mantis)(2 Copy)
Copy #1-4.0 To 5.0
Copy #2-2.0 To 5.0(Restored, Several small color Touches on Cover With Markers)

*Fantastic Four #65(1st Appearance Of Ronan The Accuser)
Copy #1-3.0 To 3.5

*Fantastic Four #66(Begins 2 part Origin+Introduction Of Him/Warlock)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-1.5 To 2.5

*Fantastic Four #67(1st Brief Appearance Of HIM/Warlock)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-4.0 To 5.0

*Thor #165(1st FULL Appearance Of HIM/Warlock)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-7.5 To 8.5(A Beautiful Book)

*Thor #166(2nd Full Appearance Of HIM/Warlock)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-6.5 To 7.5

*The Incredible Hulk #177(1st Death Of Warlock)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-6.0 To 7.0

*The Incredible Hulk #178(Rebirth Of Warlock)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-2.0 To 4.0(water Damage, Book Is Wrinkly)

*Strange Tales #178(Rebirth of Warlock As Magnus Continued from Inc. Hulk 178, 1st Appearance Of Magnus)(4 Copies)
Copy #1-7.0 To 8.0
Copy #2-5.0 To 6.0
Copy #3-3.5 To 4.5
Copy #4-1.0 To 1.5

*Marvel Premiere #1(1st Appearance AS Warlock Just Warlock Not HIM)
Copy #1-2.0 To 4.0(writing on cover IMO hard to grade)

*Marvel Premiere #2(1st Appearance As ADAM Warlock)
Copy #1-8.0 To 8.5

*Marvel Two In One #5(2nd Appearance Of Guardians Of The Galaxy In Comics-3rd appearance overall)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-5.0 To 6.0

*Giant-Size Defenders #5(3rd appearance of Guardians of the Galaxy-4th Appearance Overall)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-2.0 To 3.0

*Nova #1(1st Appearance Of Rhomann Dey and Nova)(2 Copies)
Copy #1-4.0 To 4.5
Copy #2-2.0 To 2.5

*The Avengers #28(1st Appearance Of The Collector Also Giant Man Becomes Goliath)(2 Copies)
Copy #1-5.0 To 7.0(Restored-Several Small color touches on cover with Markers, A great copy, would probably grade 6.5+ if not for the small color touches on Cover)
Copy #2-2.0 To 3.0

*Captain Marvel #28(2nd Appearance Of Drax The Destroyer)(1 Copy)
Copy #1-4.5 To 5.5

Thanks to anyone who replies...I'm just hoping someone might give me some advice on what I should look to sell this collection for

Edited by billbrown7080

I have no idea what I'd price that at.   Lots of low-mid grade, common books really.   And, while it's a "themed" run the titles are all over the place.   It'd be a pretty specific person looking for it, unless it was significantly discounted.  There are some good, sellable books in there (IM 55, IH 271, FF 65/66, et al).   Maybe sell those separately and group the rest???? 

If you really want to sell it as a run, price it up with last years OSPG and then cut the total in half.    

If you really want to sell it as a run, price it up with last years OSPG and then cut the total in half.    

thank you this is helpful

I do have a question though,  when I get on Ebay and look at other IM#55's selling right now....they aren't selling for Half OSPG...

In most case's copies graded near 4.0 to 5.0 are selling for 100%+ of overstreet guide, you almost can not touch one for under 200...

So why I completely understand adding up the  value of the collection and then cutting it half, Should I not do that with certain books like IM55,IH271 and Thor 165....these books are getting near 100% of OSGP, basically what I'm asking is should I add up the total value the collection, cut it in half, but IM55,IH271 and Thor 165 go ahead and ask full OSPG for them

i believe you'll get less for the collection as a whole than if you sold each book separately.  If you're selling to a collector they may likely have some issues and won't be willing to pay full value for the books as a lot.  If you're selling to a dealer he won't pay full value because he's looking to may a profit.  But who knows, maybe a complete lot of first appearances might resonate with a buyer and you'll do well.   You could certainly total up what the books are selling for individually and toss them on ebay as a lot to see how they do.

thank you again...

got one more question.

i believe you'll get less for the collection as a whole than if you sold each book separately.

^ does this go for any type of collection, For example, I was thinking about putting An Amazing Spider-Man Collection together, of about 50 to 60 Books...

the collection would be 1 through 20 and basically every Key Issue.

In Your Opinion would I do better trying to sell them individually or trying to sell them as one giant Amazing Spider-Man Collection?

I'll post the books that I would had to the collection-

Amazing Spider-Man #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Amazing Spider-Man #4
Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6
Amazing Spider-Man #7
Amazing Spider-Man #9
Amazing Spider-Man #10
Amazing Spider-Man #10
Amazing Spider-Man #15
Amazing Spider-Man #16
Amazing Spider-Man #17
Amazing Spider-Man #18
Amazing Spider-Man #19
Amazing Spider-Man #20
Amazing Spider-Man #25
Amazing Spider-Man #28
Amazing Spider-Man #31
Amazing Spider-Man #37
Amazing Spider-Man #39
Amazing Spider-Man #40
Amazing Spider-Man #41
Amazing Spider-Man #50
Amazing Sider-Man #90
Amazing Spider-Man #100
Amazing Spider-Man #100
Amazing Spider-Man #101
Amazing Spiderman #121
Amazing Spiderman #121
Amazing Spiderman #122
Amazing Spiderman #122
Amazing Spider-Man #124
Amazing Spider-Man #129
Amazing Spider-Man #129
Amazing Spiderman #135
Amazing Spider-Man #136
Amazing Spider-Man #136
Amazing Spider-Man #136
Amazing Spider-Man #194
Amazing Spider-Man #194
Amazing Spider-Man #194
Amazing Spider-Man #194
Amazing Spider-Man #195
Amazing Spider-Man #195
Amazing Spider-Man #195
Amazing Spider-Man #195
Amazing Spider-Man #238
Amazing Spider-Man #238
Amazing Spider-Man #239
Amazing Spider-Man #252
Amazing Spider-Man #252
Amazing Spider-Man #265
Amazing Spider-Man #265
Amazing Spider-Man #298
Amazing Spider-Man #299
Amazing Spider-Man #300
Amazing Spider-Man #301
Amazing Spider-Man #344
Amazing Spider-Man #361
Amazing Spider-Man #361
Amazing Spider-Man #361

again in your opinion, would I get more for these books as a collection or selling them individually, the 1 through 20's are low grade, between 1.0 and 4.0 everything else is mid to high grade

Yes, you're probably gonna make more money selling individually.   You have to ask yourself who your target buyer is.  A collector probably already has some of the issues and won't pay full value for what he doesn't need and a reseller or dealer wants margin.   But there's no hard and fast rule on selling and you have nothing to lose selling as one big lot.  Advantage to selling as one big lot is getting rid of everything and less shipping and packing.

11 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

thank you this is helpful

I do have a question though,  when I get on Ebay and look at other IM#55's selling right now....they aren't selling for Half OSPG...

In most case's copies graded near 4.0 to 5.0 are selling for 100%+ of overstreet guide, you almost can not touch one for under 200...

So why I completely understand adding up the  value of the collection and then cutting it half, Should I not do that with certain books like IM55,IH271 and Thor 165....these books are getting near 100% of OSGP, basically what I'm asking is should I add up the total value the collection, cut it in half, but IM55,IH271 and Thor 165 go ahead and ask full OSPG for them

Yeah, I wasn't super clear.  Pull the big books and sell individual.  Group the rest and sell as run.  If someone wants to buy everything, maybe cut a little break on the keys.  

Yes, you're probably gonna make more money selling individually.   You have to ask yourself who your target buyer is.  A collector probably already has some of the issues and won't pay full value for what he doesn't need and a reseller or dealer wants margin.   But there's no hard and fast rule on selling and you have nothing to lose selling as one big lot.  Advantage to selling as one big lot is getting rid of everything and less shipping and packing.

Than You again

I do have one final question...

In Your Opinion what would be the best way to sell like Entire Runs...for example, I've got near complete collection of Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil,The Avengers, Iron Man and Inc. Hulk(and a decent Run of X-Men)

Would I have better luck trying to sell the entire run from like 1 to 500 for a Huge Price...Or should I try to sell all the keys first Then Try to sell the rest of the collection/run...

for Example if I were selling my Avengers Set, Theres 30 to 40 Key issues(counting 1 through 20), If I sold them I would be left with nearly 460 More Comics from the set, how should I sell them, should I try to sell them like 10 at time, Maybe list like Avengers #30 through #40 for A price.

haha I literally have no clue how to sell comics, I have An Absurd amount and truly never intended to sell them, But due to some deaths in the family, I'm now considering it

thank again for any advice

On 5/20/2017 at 10:18 PM, billbrown7080 said:

Than You again

I do have one final question...

In Your Opinion what would be the best way to sell like Entire Runs...for example, I've got near complete collection of Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil,The Avengers, Iron Man and Inc. Hulk(and a decent Run of X-Men)

Would I have better luck trying to sell the entire run from like 1 to 500 for a Huge Price...Or should I try to sell all the keys first Then Try to sell the rest of the collection/run...

for Example if I were selling my Avengers Set, Theres 30 to 40 Key issues(counting 1 through 20), If I sold them I would be left with nearly 460 More Comics from the set, how should I sell them, should I try to sell them like 10 at time, Maybe list like Avengers #30 through #40 for A price.

haha I literally have no clue how to sell comics, I have An Absurd amount and truly never intended to sell them, But due to some deaths in the family, I'm now considering it

thank again for any advice

My suggestion is if you want to maximize your dollar gain, get the keys graded and sell them.  It is by far the most profitable, but does take a significant investment to grade them.  You could end up spending say, $2K on shipping and grading, for a return of $5K in a couple months, so $3K profit.  Sell the keys raw and you're probably looking at a fifth of the graded value.  I'm new to this so others can probably give you more accurate numbers, but in my research, that seems about the average difference.  That is of course assuming a decent grade (increasingly important the newer the comic).  Old high grade comics can earn quite a bit of money on the initial investment in grading.

The fillers, it depends on how much time you want to spend.  For your Avengers for example, leaving 420 non-keys, you can try to sell them individually for a few bucks to a buck each, or take the stack to a local store and get roughly .20/book.  That's probably about a hundred dollar difference, so if you were give yourself say a $20/hr rate, you would need to individually sell 420 comics in 5 hours (not likely) to break even.  Unless you don't value your time at all, then you're losing about a hundo selling to the local guy.

I had a similar question for a short run of graded books I have - X-men 101-104 and Hulk 180-182 and everyone told me to split them up and sell them individually to maximize your profit. the likelihood of someone looking for the whole set is super low and the price would be way to high for most collectors where the price for a single book in a run would be more affordable and easier to sell.