New to comics for the most part. Wanting to start collecting X-men 1st series 1963. Where do I start and what are the highlight editions?
2 2

35 posts in this topic

11 posts

Hate to bump an old thread but this one inspired me. The cost of #1 will suck. But I'm trying to get high copies of #2 #3 and #12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 posts

Ernieherring, many thanks for bumping this thread. From time to time it's good for all of us to remember what it was like being new to the hobby. I never had a plan, either--but muddled my way through until I caught on. The biggest help was going to conventions, seeing all of the different types of books, and talking with both dealers and other collectors. Somewhere along the way my main focus drifted from Ditko Spideys to pre-hero Marvels and finally to Pre Robin Detectives. This hobby can certainly take you in directions where you never planned to go! But what a fun ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
736 posts
4 minutes ago, PRTeckie said:

Ernieherring, many thanks for bumping this thread. From time to time it's good for all of us to remember what it was like being new to the hobby. I never had a plan, either--but muddled my way through until I caught on. The biggest help was going to conventions, seeing all of the different types of books, and talking with both dealers and other collectors. Somewhere along the way my main focus drifted from Ditko Spideys to pre-hero Marvels and finally to Pre Robin Detectives. This hobby can certainly take you in directions where you never planned to go! But what a fun ride!

I couldn't agree more. I consider myself still new to the hobby as well since I started more seriously a couple of years ago. I spent 2 years collecting some of the big SA Marvel keys and I find myself now more and more attracted to collecting runs. I started with an ASM run  and believe it or not I get almost the same kick adding to the collection a nice ASM #56 as I did when I acquired my #1 or even my AF15. I have so much more to collect for my ASM run but I  already wonder what will this lead me to upon completion. An X-Men run? Original art from the ASM run? Something else? Its such a blast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 posts

Wow, SECollector! What an AMAZING coincidence! When I was a kid, ASM 56 was the very first comic I bought new, off the spinner rack at a local convenience store! Which, now that I think about it, suddenly makes me feel like :preach: !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
570 posts

keep in mind that the difference between raw and slabbed that jumps out at a new collector is that you can't read the slabbed ones. I sold my collection last year and the only ones I had slabbed were ones where grade evaluation became important since it monetized the comics. Beyond that, if you're after it because you love the storyline, stay with raw until compelled to grade and slab. If you are looking at it as an investment, buy the highest slabbed grade you can afford and try to get CGC graded books since they command the most respect for quality grading. Do get a copy of Overstreet and go to the websites for the people who advertise in it. There are a lot but it gives real world pricing. While I had GPA at the time I was selling my books I don't know that you have to have it right off.  The main thing is to enjoy it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,081 posts
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, Bronx said:

If you can stomach it, start with #1.  The prices for low grade #1's (.5-2.5) are very reasonable compared to other Marvel classic #1's.  You can always go back and fill the run but the #1 will be in much more expensive book with all the movies coming out in the next few years.      

I would agree with this, #1 has been picking up steam the last few months, I would grab one now before prices get more out of hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,545 posts
3 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

I would agree with this, #1 has been picking up steam the last few months, I would grab one now before prices get more out of hand.

Agree as well.  It's "under-valued" compared to some of the other big Marvel keys, considering how huge the Xmen were/are (even if it's the old team).  I'm not a hard core PQ guy, but I'd definitely try and stay in the OW/W or W page range for this one (b/c of the white cover).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,545 posts
4 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

keep in mind that the difference between raw and slabbed that jumps out at a new collector is that you can't read the slabbed ones. I sold my collection last year and the only ones I had slabbed were ones where grade evaluation became important since it monetized the comics. Beyond that, if you're after it because you love the storyline, stay with raw until compelled to grade and slab. If you are looking at it as an investment, buy the highest slabbed grade you can afford and try to get CGC graded books since they command the most respect for quality grading. Do get a copy of Overstreet and go to the websites for the people who advertise in it. There are a lot but it gives real world pricing. While I had GPA at the time I was selling my books I don't know that you have to have it right off.  The main thing is to enjoy it

That's what they make the Masterworks and Omnibus for.   I can't recommend the Omnibus editions enough (since you get the letter pages).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
570 posts

Having the actual book in your hands speaks volumes as to page quality, color, rot, pin holes you name it plus being able to get it right at eyeball level. There's nothing like the real deal. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 posts
17 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree as well.  It's "under-valued" compared to some of the other big Marvel keys, considering how huge the Xmen were/are (even if it's the old team).  I'm not a hard core PQ guy, but I'd definitely try and stay in the OW/W or W page range for this one (b/c of the white cover).   

would it matter if lets say i'm just collecting for me as a nostaglia piece. I mean of course I want the best I can afford but a 2.0 -4.5 range would be where I would buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
570 posts

others may well disagree but it strikes me if you want to buy in the range you mention, slabbing is a way to certainly add cost onto an item which won't be heavily sought after if you want to sell.  I currently own no slabbed books and have JIM fairly complete without 83 and have thor from 126- 210. They aren't mint but they're not really pricey either.  I would not be inclined to buy a slabbed book if it was a lower grade than a 7.0 At a 2-4.0, probably easier to rely on Overstreet pricing for raw and be looking for V good to Fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,337 posts
On 3/14/2018 at 6:23 PM, PRTeckie said:

Wow, SECollector! What an AMAZING coincidence! When I was a kid, ASM 56 was the very first comic I bought new, off the spinner rack at a local convenience store! Which, now that I think about it, suddenly makes me feel like :preach: !

My first Amazing was from one of those 3-pack/multi packs. 

And even 200 issues after yours, I feel old! 

amazingspiderman258.jpg.ef3a423cad53ee6342ed124b793133e7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,337 posts
On 3/15/2018 at 1:46 PM, chrisco37 said:

That's what they make the Masterworks and Omnibus for.   I can't recommend the Omnibus editions enough (since you get the letter pages).  

At least you're not saying digital, but there's something to be said for the feel, smell, and look of a real comic book.  But if investing as if it's just a number not a book, then I'd go cgc graded much easier to sell when the time comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,061 posts

As I am working on my own run, buy whatever you can when you can, whether its from people here on the boards in the for sale section, at conventions, local comic shops or garage sales.
I'm of the mind that I want a complete set, first and foremost.  Once that is done, then I can start upgrading key issues to slabbed versions.  i have duplicates of 144-350, so I may pick the nicest of the issues, and sell the rest to fund the remaining 30-ish issues needed to complete the run.  Unless a #1 drops in my lap at a seriously reduced price, I imagine that it will be the final issue I purchase to complete the set.

Anything before 93, I don't tend to spend more than $20 an issue, unless it's higher grade and low enough to spend the extra money.  i filled out alot of the reprints for $5-$7 each in at least 8.0 quality which helped out quite a bit.

My earliest is #4 and i think i got it for $45, and its pretty beat up, but attached.

My #94 I bought for $100 back in the early 90's and it graded at 8.5, so I'm good there.  I have a 105 that came back with a detached staple that I may upgrade at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2