• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrating 15 Years on the Boards
1 1

60 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 5/20/2017 at 10:11 AM, drbanner said:

Unbelievably, it's been 15 years to the day since I registered on the boards (Class of '02 stand up!). At that time, there were 2 popular venues on the 'net to share this hobby with other collectors - the usenet groups, and the ebay boards. Neither forum were a big fan of CGC, and as one irate collector commented when the idea of 3rd-party certification first hit the airwaves:

"Yep, it's called the "Comics Guaranty Corporation" and I hope it fails miserably b/c as you state, it's simply going to add more $ to a hobby that's already too pricey. I've yet to really see any ads or people putting this stuff on ebay, but you know it's inevitable...and sad :(. Look for the big NY dealers to "unveil" these pre-graded/sealed comics in the next few months, and hold on...hopefully it won't ruin our hobby."

And he thought the hobby was expensive back then!?!? Who was that loser anyway?  :shy:

The early years of the boards were a time of enlightenment, a true Renaissance and expansion of thought and experiences amongst collectors, and an abundance of Market Crash threads. I also have to confess that I was responsible for inviting a co-hobbyist I knew through ebay to join the boards. Some of you might know him as greggy...sorry guys. :facepalm:

Here are a few embarassing photos of me during my formative Hulk collecting years.

Sun's out, guns out!

me_Hulk%20T-Shirt_zpsbpo7xmpg.jpg

I use to love creating dioramas of the Hulk fighting the Army (note the corner of the classic Snoopy poster). I had cut my hand with an Exacto knife making a B-29 Superfortress model, still have the scar.

Me_Hulk%20army528_zpsc1e6wyqw.jpg

And here's one of my mom reading comics. Both my parents read comics growing up, and I still have some of their early 50's funny animal books. My mom supported this hobby as it got me reading (she was a teacher back in the day), and would drive us down to the Book Gallery on University Avenue in Gainesville to pour over their boxes of 10-cent back issues. There are a couple boardies that grew up in Hogtown during that time, most notably the scarcely-seen BronzeBruce13.

Mom_reading_comic_books.jpg

Congrats on 15 years...:whatthe::acclaim:

I have a guess as to Who the  "loser" you mentioned was, but need to read the rest of this before naming him...

Ok, since no one has guessed at the owner of the anti CGC comments, I'll go out on a limb and say it sounds like a certain guy who always seemed to have a lot of Birthday Money to spread around but rarely did...

It's a PedigreeMan sighting! I was on the comicinvestor.com board as well, it had a finite lifetime once the old (good) CGC boards started up. Star ratings, anonymous posters, it was chaos (Captain Chaos, or Kaos, or whatever their name was).  lol

On 5/20/2017 at 8:11 AM, drbanner said:

Unbelievably, it's been 15 years to the day since I registered on the boards (Class of '02 stand up!)

Both my parents read comics growing up, and I still have some of their early 50's funny animal books. My mom supported this hobby as it got me reading (she was a teacher back in the day), and would drive us down to the Book Gallery on University Avenue in Gainesville to pour over their boxes of 10-cent back issues. There are a couple boardies that grew up in Hogtown during that time, most notably the scarcely-seen BronzeBruce13.

Mom_reading_comic_books.jpg

:luhv:

22 hours ago, PedigreeMan said:

Whole bunch of old-timers crawling out of the woodwork here ...

:headbang:

(OG member of the comicinvestor.com boards, too ... That was a magical week. B| )

Damn! Pedigreeman!

OG week. Everybody from the comicinvestor.com boards should standup.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:27 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Damn! Pedigreeman!

OG week. Everybody from the comicinvestor.com boards should standup.

Amazing to see so many people from 2002 are still here ^^

I thought we were down to less than 10....Oh and on the very last day of of the C.I boards I did a full HTML save :devil:

Too bad the boards had been shut down by then because Vince didn't want to pay for all the scan hosting lol