• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover artists that started out in comics

18 posts in this topic

Crossover artists that started out in comics

With the price the R. Crumb piece going for a record high, I wondered what other artists could do that in the future.  There's artists that are both, which are harder to catagorize, like XNO and The Pizz.  What successful mainstream artists first started out in comics and what was their first comic work?  The two that comes to my head are both punk rock artists.

Gary Panter - Hup

Raymond Pettibon - Captive Chains

Rick Griffin - 

Moscoso - 

What are some others?

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Griffin was pretty big in the Rock Poster world when he got into comics, wasn't he?

Schomburg  is better known for his Sci Fi and Pulp work than his comics and there is a matter of Frank Frazzeta (sp).

In the early days lots'a comic book artists went into advertising; folks like Lou Fine, Mort Meskin, Jack Davis, Martin Nodell (Green Lantern & the Pillsbury Doughboy). John Romita was working in advertising before Stan brought him back into comics at Marvel in the mid-60s.

Is there really any at all? Crumb isn't mainstream and neither are the others. Panter maybe, since he did a major mainstream thing that was popular, Pee Wee, but 99 percent of people don't know who he is, or Crumb either. But I guess since Crumb has done New Yorker covers that counts. But then Chris Ware should be in the list too.

18 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

In the early days lots'a comic book artists went into advertising; folks like Lou Fine, Mort Meskin, Jack Davis, Martin Nodell (Green Lantern & the Pillsbury Doughboy). John Romita was working in advertising before Stan brought him back into comics at Marvel in the mid-60s.

Joe Simon spent years in advertising, as did Neal Adams.

James Jean...my artist daughter is a big fan of his current work and teases me about it. She says "I know you like his comics stuff but he is just amazing now! I love him!"

Everett Raymond Kintsler started out in comics in the 1940s and 1950s, and then moved on up to paint official presidential portraits.

A.B. Frost did some very early comics and then became well-known for his oil paintings of sports, hunting, and nature.

Jim Woodring and Bill/William Wray both started out doing comics and are now fine arteests as well.