2,235 posts in this topic

2,609 posts
7 minutes ago, kimik said:

It would be awesome to see Sansa and Tyrion ruling as a couple after all is said and done........

Are they technically still married in the show?  I don't recall anything but her getting shuffled out of Kings Landing after Geoffrey died.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79,719 posts
3 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

15 "Game Of Thrones" Photos With And Without Visual Effects

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/game-of-thrones-visual-effects-with-without

So cool!

I figured that scene looked like this.

sub-buzz-19404-1556909130-1.jpg?downsize

But it is incredible what they can do nowadays with CGI when in capable hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,821 posts

In general last season felt a little rushed...and a lil' stupid. But its the effect of starting with such amazing source material and trying to live up to that standard. Recently its been nearly completely in the hands of the producers and HBO writers, so of course its going to fall off pace a little in terms of overall plot and development because its wholly new material from (frankly) inferior writers. When great players leave, the team gets worse. When great writers (in essence) leave, the product quality falters. It is what it is.

The night battle was lazy and stupid on multiple levels, but it was fun and exhilarating! Last weeks episode felt more clear and purpose driven. It made more sense and didn't read like a fan fiction account like the battle did, it allowed characters to be humans again and not flawless 2D immortals or perfect heroic avatars. I saw the episode as one of going back to the old ways, where suffering was not optional but mandatory for the main characters. You care more for a character when they struggle with their flaws rather than rushing off to never ending victories. Last weeks was a return to form for the show I felt. It was old school GoT writing to me. Human beings with flaws and hopes slowly getting to their goals while bearing the weight of those choices with little to no pity.

Last season and up til this episode had a huge feel of fan fiction to me. This feels more like sorta dark and consequence filled world Martin created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,197 posts
1 hour ago, kimik said:

It would be awesome to see Sansa and Tyrion ruling as a couple after all is said and done........

Well some think Tyrion is the third Targaryen, so he may have a claim to the throne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,197 posts
Posted (edited)

Also, has anyone picked up on the amount of drinking Tyrion has been doing since his fireside chat with Bran?

Varys mentioned something about it to him while they were discussing what to about Dany's perceived mental state.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,359 posts
1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:
1 hour ago, kimik said:

It would be awesome to see Sansa and Tyrion ruling as a couple after all is said and done........

Well some think Tyrion is the third Targaryen, so he may have a claim to the throne...

That would make him fair game for Dany then as well, right? :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,197 posts
Just now, kimik said:

That would make him fair game for Dany then as well, right? :whistle:

lol touche'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,015 posts
1 hour ago, kimik said:

It would be awesome to see Sansa and Tyrion ruling as a couple after all is said and done........

They have had their moments lately (e.g., in the crypt)...  hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,015 posts
17 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Well some think Tyrion is the third Targaryen, so he may have a claim to the throne...

The dragons seemed to accept him (like they did with Jon), and going back to Tywin’s quote just before he died, “You’re no son of mine”, so it’s quite possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,577 posts
Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, sacentaur said:

The dragons seemed to accept him (like they did with Jon), and going back to Tywin’s quote just before he died, “You’re no son of mine”, so it’s quite possible.

Jon's, Dany's, and Tyrion's mothers all died after  child birth. We know Jon and Dany are Targaryen. It's been hinted and speculated that Tyrion is Targaryen. The Mad King being Tyrion's real father.

Edited by Catwomancomics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79,719 posts

Looks like viewers are enjoying these episodes.

Quote

With HBOGo and HBO Now data plus additional linear airs added, the May 5 “The Last of the Starks” snagged 17.2 million viewers.

 

Put in the bluntest terms possible, that’s a dip of 3.8% from the all-time series high of the epic battle of April 28’s “The Long Night, which was the longest GoT ever at 82-minutes. Slipping a scant 1.1% from the Season 8 opener of April 14, the fourth episode of the eighth and final season of GoT is actually the third most watched episode of the David Benioff and D.B. Weiss EP’d blockbuster ever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,677 posts
2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

The way this series is ending reminds me a lot of how they wrapped up Deadwood.  It just feels rushed and there are so many scenes that either don't get shot or get cut out.  I still really enjoy it, but another 4-6 episodes and it could have ended in epic fashion.

It's not just what's left out that feels off. It's clear that the showrunners are incapable of handling the smarter, more nuanced characters in a way that does their arcs and backstory justice. The gamesmanship between Varys, Littlefinger, Tyrion, etc that existed in the first seasons has taken a complete back seat towards the actions of more straightforward, but significantly less interesting, characters. Worse than that, they consistently make nonsensical choices, and commit careless blunders that break continuity. Tyrion not understanding his sister's duplicity? What? Varys turning on Dany with next to no provocation? Cersei NOT murdering everyone in front of her this past episode? What possible reason is there for not killing Tyrion on the spot? She sent Bron across a continent to do it the same episode! 

These are not characters unto themselves anymore. They are just set pieces hurling towards each other to set up the endgame. The plot is clearly driving them, not the other way around. Maybe that's the way it has to be to fit these compressed timelines, but it makes for significantly less compelling viewing with sadly diminished emotional stakes. It's not objectively bad (yet), but it's a shadow of its former self. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,532 posts
11 minutes ago, october said:

It's not just what's left out that feels off. It's clear that the showrunners are incapable of handling the smarter, more nuanced characters in a way that does their arcs and backstory justice. The gamesmanship between Varys, Littlefinger, Tyrion, etc that existed in the first seasons has taken a complete back seat towards the actions of more straightforward, but significantly less interesting, characters. Worse than that, they consistently make nonsensical choices, and commit careless blunders that break continuity. Tyrion not understanding his sister's duplicity? What? Varys turning on Dany with next to no provocation? Cersei NOT murdering everyone in front of her this past episode? What possible reason is there for not killing Tyrion on the spot? She sent Bron across a continent to do it the same episode! 

These are not characters unto themselves anymore. They are just set pieces hurling towards each other to set up the endgame. The plot is clearly driving them, not the other way around. Maybe that's the way it has to be to fit these compressed timelines, but it makes for significantly less compelling viewing with sadly diminished emotional stakes. It's not objectively bad (yet), but it's a shadow of its former self. 

Varys and Cersei's actions both seemed well out of place.  Varys has always been very sneaky and manipulative.  Most importantly though, he's always done it from the shadows.  Openly expressing his position to Tyrion in a great echoing hall where someone could hear him is completely out of place.  And why Cersei suddenly has the honor to not just fire on Danaerys and Tyrion on the spot seems wholly out of character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,677 posts
1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Varys and Cersei's actions both seemed well out of place.  Varys has always been very sneaky and manipulative.  Most importantly though, he's always done it from the shadows.  Openly expressing his position to Tyrion in a great echoing hall where someone could hear him is completely out of place.  And why Cersei suddenly has the honor to not just fire on Danaerys and Tyrion on the spot seems wholly out of character.

Varys supporting Jon Snow is equally strange. Jon Snow doesn't want the throne, has a weaker will than Daenerys, was singularly inept as a battle commander (evidenced by the Battle of the Bastards debacle where his fat was pulled out of the fire through a combination of a Vale Knights deus ex machina and the consistently ridiculous failure to use scouts/outriders/pickets), and was so poor at leadership that he was murdered by his own mutinous men. Why would Varys think he was fit for the throne? Because he gave a nice eulogy and some hairy dudes drank with him? It makes little internal sense, it's just sketched out to further the equally rushed and odd "Daenerys is a villain now" subplot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79,719 posts
16 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Varys and Cersei's actions both seemed well out of place.  Varys has always been very sneaky and manipulative.  Most importantly though, he's always done it from the shadows.  Openly expressing his position to Tyrion in a great echoing hall where someone could hear him is completely out of place.  And why Cersei suddenly has the honor to not just fire on Danaerys and Tyrion on the spot seems wholly out of character.

The only thing that scene was missing was Dany peeking around the corner as she whispered, "Shhhh. We shall listen in on Varys to learn his plan. BWAHAAAAHAAAAAA!"

But I really was sitting there wondering if they thought it through all that talk was happening in a very large, echoing room with that side door right behind Varys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,015 posts

Varys does seem somewhat out of character. The Red Woman predicted not only her death but his, so being duplicitous may be the out that the show-runners need for a dramatic scene to get rid of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,972 posts
13 minutes ago, october said:

Varys supporting Jon Snow is equally strange. Jon Snow doesn't want the throne, has a weaker will than Daenerys, was singularly inept as a battle commander (evidenced by the Battle of the Bastards debacle where his fat was pulled out of the fire through a combination of a Vale Knights deus ex machina and the consistently ridiculous failure to use scouts/outriders/pickets), and was so poor at leadership that he was murdered by his own mutinous men. Why would Varys think he was fit for the throne? Because he gave a nice eulogy and some hairy dudes drank with him? It makes little internal sense, it's just sketched out to further the equally rushed and odd "Daenerys is a villain now" subplot. 

 

Jon's also been dead already, so he's on borrowed time. 

I agree about Tyrion being a Targaryen, it makes sense. I've thought that since the dragons didn't eat him. Also if Tywin knew who his father was and it was the King, then he'd have been forced to accept him (but not necessarily like him.)

@zhamlau I think Arya is the Azor Ahai  because 

A. B, and C it would be non traditional for it to be a woman and this series is non traditional, but also because she killed the Night King, she's been tied to the sword since she was a small girl and because of what she told Gentry when he asked her to marry him. She was not meant to be a "lady", she has a different path. So while she didn't forge her sword by stabbing him in the heart, in a way she kind of did, and she told him she has another path.

Lastly because of her relationship with Mellisandre.,

Forgive my spelling, I had my eyes dialated a few hours ago and I'm guessing a lot while typing;)

 




Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79,719 posts

:roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
8 8