• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got Stan Lee's Autograph at Megacon Orlando- a few observations

78 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wonder if they're going to pull the "we meant last appearance that year" shtick.....I mean I really think if he feels up to it, he's going to do it, IMHO

A friend and I went to get books signed at Cincy Comic Expo 2016 last year when it was supposed to be his "last east coast show." Until a few weeks before the show he was announced to be at C2E2 2017.

I've never been too big of a Marvel fan though, so I wasn't bummed out about not being able to meet the guy. However, the attitude of some of the staff that worked the line left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm sure I would use a facilitator for any future Stan Lee signatures I could ever need.

It seems I wasn't the only one in Stan's lines who had some common sense ideas that would have made the weekend just slightly better. I mean aside from Stan I had other books for my PC I wanted to get signed during the weekend. I maybe even wanted to shop a bit. I spent 3-ish hours in Stan's line on Friday. I got my hastily and lazily laid down sig and was very upset. I window bagged the entire bottom of my book and Stan decided to squish together his sig in a corner when he literally had the entire bottom at his disposal. The folks that sprung for the extra special Stan VIP package, I understand the rationale behind it. I myself did not want all of my money going to that cause and after the experience I had, I'm glad I didn't spend any more money than was absolutely needed on Stan and his handlers (swindlers??).

The majority of the conversations had while I was in line centered around the VIP and Stan VIP crowds. The VIP, yes, I understand, Disney Fast Pass type availability, that's great, they can easily be mixed in with the pleebs that were waiting in line. The Stan VIP people, why oh why did that $400 package NOT include a specified hour or 2 hour window each day with a designated area where just Stan VIPs can go get their stuff signed? This would allow the remaining lines to flow more easily, and hey, I mean I know the promoters were not too keen on sales for exhibitors when I'm sure they were getting a cut of Stan and the other major celebs take, but if I wasn't waiting in line, I probably would have spent some more money ON ACTUALLY BUYING COMICS AND ART!!! This was the first convention I have gone to, where I dont believe I bought more than 2 books, and 1 was for a friend who had been searching for a variant that I luckily stumbled across on Thursday night during random strolling around.

I'm glad I was able to get a photo last year and the smushed signature this year because, yes, this will probably be his last appearance at MegaCon and I do agree with the OP, it may be time for him to retire the sharpie. I'm leaning towards the thought process as well that Stan isn't even aware of what's being charged to each and every person who goes through his line. He just shows up, they put a marker in his hand and he scribbles. I'm going to withhold any more ranting about the handlers and their manipulative maneuvers and just say I'm thankful a CGC witness was nearby and was able to assist. The experience overall with Stan was unfortunately not something to be remembered in a positive light.  

3 hours ago, MDR123 said:

This was the first convention I have gone to, where I dont believe I bought more than 2 books,

I probably saw you in line.  It was like a long, slow, painful test of endurance.  Standing pretty much in 1 place on a concrete floor= pain in the back.   I too left with far more money in my wallet than I intended.  Too worn out to shop after that.   

Funny about the handlers,  I had a 12" x 12" print, with some room in the middle that had a white patch, that I was hoping Stan could 'aim' for.   I said hoping.  As I pointed this out to handler #2, seeing if he could let Stan know, he gave me this look of derision, and said "Seriously",  like I was a bothering him and Stan for a placement.  Well Stan did his best, missed his mark slightly, but it works.  Sloppy, but signed.   $120 for a back pain, mockery, and smudge.   See you next year....never! 

On 5/28/2017 at 1:14 AM, Mercury Man said:

1) I get it.  Don't get me wrong.  But for every 50 people that stroll in through VIP, we seriously can't squeeze in 5-10 people in between?!

2) Yeah just light your Benjamins on fire. 

3) I agree.  I saw some 'dealer', pull out every Silver Age Key you can name (withe the exception of AF 15, and ASM 1), and the one handler took the stack, patted them down on the table, none bagged, boarded, (in fact, I saw no window cut outs for signatures, I am wondering if they banned them this round),  and shoved them over to Stan, while the other handler on the left, grabbed them and shoved them over to the side. 

Excellent post and observation!

I would be happy to just see Stan Lee, maybe sneak a far away photo, the lines are just too long for me to wait for him , he came to a Con in Michigan a few years ago and not only were the lines too long , he also casued a mile long back up on the freeway just trying to get into the place on a Saturday (i always only go on a Friday, much less crowded , but the big celebrity names are not there either on Sat)

37 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I probably saw you in line.  It was like a long, slow, painful test of endurance.  Standing pretty much in 1 place on a concrete floor= pain in the back.   I too left with far more money in my wallet than I intended.  Too worn out to shop after that.   

Funny about the handlers,  I had a 12" x 12" print, with some room in the middle that had a white patch, that I was hoping Stan could 'aim' for.   I said hoping.  As I pointed this out to handler #2, seeing if he could let Stan know, he gave me this look of derision, and said "Seriously",  like I was a bothering him and Stan for a placement.  Well Stan did his best, missed his mark slightly, but it works.  Sloppy, but signed.   $120 for a back pain, mockery, and smudge.   See you next year....never! 

Yup, just too much. And I missed Claremont and Layton's lines and on top of all of that, I'm more of a DC guy.

4 hours ago, MDR123 said:

The Stan VIP people, why oh why did that $400 package NOT include a specified hour or 2 hour window each day with a designated area where just Stan VIPs can go get their stuff signed? This would allow the remaining lines to flow more easily, and hey, I mean I know the promoters were not too keen on sales for exhibitors when I'm sure they were getting a cut of Stan and the other major celebs take, but if I wasn't waiting in line, I probably would have spent some more money ON ACTUALLY BUYING COMICS AND ART!!! This was the first convention I have gone to, where I dont believe I bought more than 2 books, and 1 was for a friend who had been searching for a variant that I luckily stumbled across on Thursday night during random strolling around.

Maybe you saw just regular VIP ticket holders for the con? I have bought specifically Stan VIP event tickets twice in the past and both times, those were separate events where the time and location was different than the regular signing location and time for everyone else. But, regular VIP ticket holders for the con had a line at the regular location/time. This year in Dallas, I didn't buy one and I saw it advertised the same way as it was the year that I did it here in Dallas as well.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood and you meant regular VIPs, but just that they were in line for Stan.

Edited by kevhtx

Kev,

Yes, there were VIP lines on BOTH sides of the main grouping of "the rest of us" so to speak. If there was another Stan specific signing for the Stan specific VIPs, I'm not sure the folks that bought those tickets knew about that but the handlers were more than willing to create a separate waiting area for them to skip the line, no problem. I personally didn't read too closely what the Stan package was because I knew I had other things I wanted to get and spend some of that $$$ on. Funny thing is, the line waiting kind of put the kibosh on all of that. I mean I'm glad I got what I was able to get these past 2 years from the photo and autograph but this year, wow, not a fan of any of it. 

We saw Stan in Dallas this year and my wife and I had a very long discussion about calling Adult Protective Services.  Our jobs make us "mandatory reporters" which means if we suspect abuse, we have to report it.  We weren't sure about how that extends beyond the workplace, much less beyond our state boundaries.  Ultimately, we decided that by the time Texas acted, Stan would be in another state.  We don't know his primary residence or the full names of those that we have concerns about abusing him and figured our efforts would only end up in the round file since they were not based on interaction, only appearances at a distance.  The long and short of it was that we were unsure if Stan knew where he was or what was going on while it was clear those around him were profiting wildly from his efforts.  He was very different from the man I saw a few years ago.  Then, he was fun and lively with a crowd but more subdued behind the scenes.  This time he looked exhausted and confused every time we saw him.  I would have given anything to spend a couple of minutes talking with him to determine his state of mind.  

Thats very interesting observations. Ive seen kinda both states. Ive seen him seem very lucid and then also the same description as what you are describing. Maybe it has to do with fatigue and how tired he is? Depends on time of day? When I attended the breakfast, he was very lively and talkative. Thats when I chatted with him briefly. Now, he wasn't super chatty, but he seemed fine for a 90+ year old. Oddly though, when he walked in, he said something like "what is this? where are we? I thought I was going to breakfast.", but he smiled and kinda laughed after that. We all thought it was a joke and we laughed. Hell, maybe he was serious.

But, Ive also seen him at the point where they are nearly carrying him away after he has been signing for hours and he is silent.

Oh, and in Dallas last year, when he got on stage with Todd McFarlane for his interview, it was at the end of the day, he was lively, chatty and answered every question. He seemed to have a hard time hearing, but that was all. He even got up and moved around. He ended the show standing up and doing the "excelsior" chant.

11 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I hate to think he is being forced to do this.  I hate that I even participated if that is the case.  

I agree 100%  but the way my experience went, I'm unfortunately leaning towards @MedicARs observations as well. Stan was physically there, for sure, but I said to all my friends that I went with, it just seemed like he had no idea about what was going on.

I think there is no doubt that at least at times he knows where he is and what is going on. At the breakfast and when being interviewed other times, he referenced his staff and manager, Max, and his wife. He sometimes talks about the con life and has commented about how they make a lot of the decisions. Im sure that he just goes where they want him to and others are making more of the managerial decisions. 

On 2017. 5. 27. at 11:42 PM, Mercury Man said:

Got Stan Lee's Autograph at Megacon Orlando- a few observations

So Stan was/is at Megacon Orlando this weekend.  I went yesterday.  A few thoughts/observations:

1)   I wish they would have just had numbered tickets for people who were not VIP, or Stan Lee Express ticket holders.  Us schleps who didn't pay the extra $$ got to stand in line for about 4 hours while VIP's & Express holders kept filtering in.  I 'get' that they paid extra money for their ticket.  That is the bonus.  But would it have killed them to filter in a few regular line standers in-between the others VIP's to keep the line moving?!   Maybe let them wait 5 minutes, so somebody waiting 4 hours can get a crack at it?! At least if they numbered tickets, we could have shopped and SPENT MONEY with some of the vendors, instead of having a fear of being shut out, which is why we felt the need to stand in line.  Then we could check back at the entrance and see what numbers they might be serving.   This is all hindsight since this is his last Florida Appearance (until next year). 

2) I still am amazed at what people have him sign.  Hey it's your money.  Whatever makes you happy.  But from a New Mutants 98, to signing the cellophane on a Funko Pop Figure, to a Silver Age Fantastic Four #1, to a Bronze Age #1 Godzilla, whatever floats your boat.  One thing is for sure-  there will be no shortage of Stan Lee Signatures when he passes, (including the item I got signed).  I don't ever plan on selling it.  But those that do, will be in for a rude awakening.  

3)  He didn't seem into it.  Hell, at 94 who would.   I've gotten his signature at 2 other shows over the years, and this time he just seemed tired, barely looked up, barely exchanged words with anybody, and quite frankly, I don't blame him.   His signature was pretty muddy.  He was tired.  Time to retire Stan.  Nobody would blame you.    

Just personal observations.  Nothing more.   Excelsior. 

Update from Awesome Con today.

A friend and I got one book each signed by Stan. We were expecting to wait the dreaded 4 hours that we read about online, but we waited 30min tops. We couldn't believe how reasonable it was.

On the other hand, it was extremely disappointing to see how careless our books were handled by the staff after paying all that money and not have a chance to say hi or something. It's sad to see Stan pretty much signing like a factory.

All blame goes to these greedy handlers. 

My brother-in-law went for a picture of Stan, no sig from what I understand. I'll have to ask him how that went. I told my wife, his sister, that I expected him to be disappointed but I'll get a report when I see him on Monday.

5 hours ago, jbeez909 said:

Update from Awesome Con today.

A friend and I got one book each signed by Stan. We were expecting to wait the dreaded 4 hours that we read about online, but we waited 30min tops. We couldn't believe how reasonable it was.

On the other hand, it was extremely disappointing to see how careless our books were handled by the staff after paying all that money and not have a chance to say hi or something. It's sad to see Stan pretty much signing like a factory.

All blame goes to these greedy handlers. 

Last Stan Lee line I was in was about a year ago. I got in line because I was vendor preopening and there were a few other people there. I brought my own markers for Stan to sign with and when I got up to the line his handler tried to take my book I said no I will hand it to Stan with my marker and show placement. The funny thing was the marker Stan was using himself was dried up , but kept signing and signing away with an illegible almost unseeable autograph. Sure Anastacia Collectible's didn't like what I was doing, but at the same time they don't want to give a refund. I had the only autograph you could clearly see because I brought my own marker.

The only thing that bothers me on his handlers is that I get a monthly email from them saying Stan Lee wants to buy an item from me, but it is for them really. What does a 90 plus year old guy need with a rare Star Wars poster?

As far as Stan goes yeah he signs like a factory at every show I have been to.  I am not sure how many items he signed, but it is in the hundreds of thousands. Maybe upwards of around 500,000 or more items.

14 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

As far as Stan goes yeah he signs like a factory at every show I have been to.  I am not sure how many items he signed, but it is in the hundreds of thousands. Maybe upwards of around 500,000 or more items.

There will never be a shortage of Stan Lee signatures out there.  If you plan on selling a signed item (especially comic) and are trying to command a premium on your asking price for said signed book, that is a fools errand in my humble opinion.   Supply has definitely outpaced demand.