• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-Men 266

19 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

Thanks.  Think a press will help/be worthwhile?

If the crease doesn't break color, and on white it's hard to tell

I had one recently with 1or2 itty bitty spine ticks and a frayed corner 

and I got a 9.2 :) 

I'd say you got a shot at 9.0 or 9.2

Also looks like you got a pulled bottom staple

The only thing that I can say is it looks to good to get an 8.5....

I would also say it might not be worth enough of a grade bump to press....

I can't tell if it breaks color either, but it's definitely a crease.  It was folded over and stored like that for years.  If a press can't get rid of it or the spine ticks, I think you're right that it wouldn't be worth it.  Also, the corner on the cover seem good to me, but they don't line up with the pages, which I think give the non-spine side a rounder look in the photos.

Edited by SteppinRazor

A press essentially flattens but a "crease" would mean it "broke color" meaning the color is frayed where the page and color essentially tore but didn't tear. If that makes sense to you. A press can give a slight appearance that all is well, but the crease seperates the color and a press won't flatten it back together as if nothing has been separated. It basically smushes it back together and in a crease there are so many fractured paritcles smushing isn't necessarily going "to put it back together" just flatten. sigh. that's the best way that I know how to explain it. idk.

AND I don't know how much a pressed crease can count towards a a grade bump, other than it would lay flat....

9 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I can't tell if it breaks color either, but it's definitely a crease.  It was folded over and stored like that for years.  If a press can't get rid of it or the spine ticks, I think you're right that it wouldn't be worth it.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

gotcha.

lol I didn't know how much you understood it lol 

There are "bends" that aren't "creases" that can be flattened/pressed/ironed back together again, as long as it didn't break color sigh I'm talkin' yer ear off.

but anyway for this book: the corner, that has the bend, has a frayed tip. You can see it in the picks; also that is the only bend and I'm sure you've already decided, but it wouldn't be worth the "cost" to press, not that a press wouldn't help that small "bend" per se a little etc; with the fray and it's a small bend, not worth the "cost"..... for the grade bump lol 

I'm tired been a long day :) thanks for listening ;) 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I didn't know how much you understood it lol 

There are "bends" that aren't "creases" that can be flattened/pressed/ironed back together again, as long as it didn't break color sigh I'm talkin' yer ear off.

but anyway for this book: the corner, that has the bend, has a frayed tip. You can see it in the picks; also that is the only bend and I'm sure you've already decided, but it wouldn't be worth the "cost" to press, not that a press wouldn't help that small "bend" per se a little etc; with the fray and it's a small bend, not worth the "cost"..... for the grade bump lol 

I'm tired been a long day :) thanks for listening ;) 

(thumbsu We're on the same page I think.  I'll probably just keep it raw since pressing doesn't make sense and slabbing without pressing doesn't make sense either.  Thanks

That press would definitely improve the grade. Firstly, even if the bend did break color, it would be a white color break and since it's on white anyway, it would look like it was never even bent. This book is a 9.4 with a press, easily. I'd say press and grade it, but on the lowest tier. Otherwise it would be too expensive for what you'd sell it for.

check out joeypost, just pm him, he can do a quality press for cheaper than CCS that CGC works with because I think they charge something like $40 and joeypost charges like $10-$15 and does a great job...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Terrapin said:

Is that a small color breaking crease on the bottom right fc or is it just a real white line from the cover art?

It looks like part of the plant...

On 5/31/2017 at 10:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If the crease doesn't break color, and on white it's hard to tell

I had one recently with 1or2 itty bitty spine ticks and a frayed corner 

and I got a 9.2 :) 

I'd say you got a shot at 9.0 or 9.2

Also looks like you got a pulled bottom staple

The only thing that I can say is it looks to good to get an 8.5....

I would also say it might not be worth enough of a grade bump to press....

Don't worry about the staple - i have a UX 266 with a similar staple and it's a 9.8

maybe it's a common flaw for the issue and isn't counted against the grade.

as for your book, i'd say 9.0 - maybe 9.2 after a press if it doesn't break too much colour