Can CCS remove a Dymo label?
0

20 posts in this topic

12 posts
Can CCS remove a Dymo label?

I have some key Marvel comics from 1968 which I bought for cover price as a boy, I'd affixed a black Dymo label on the front covers - dead center of the cover - really stupid.  I've never been able to remove the labels without destroying the paper beneath.  The comics are not super valuable or in perfect condition, but I'd like to frame them for my wall.  Can CCS restoration services remove these labels without damaging the comic cover?  The comics may or may not be worth the price of restoring and I don't even know what it might cost to get this done.  Information and advice needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,127 posts

You really need to ask CCS, not us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,777 posts

The short answer is "probably". 

The long answer is that if the books are not expensive, it would be more cost effective to go purchase copies of the books on eBay or a comic shop that don't have labels or similar defects. 

CCS lists "restoration removal" as a service (which removing a sticker probably is) starting at $5 for an assessment and $12 for the service. This for books published 1975 and after worth $200 or less.  Older and more valuable books cost more.  Plus you will have your shipping costs to CCS and the shipping costs of having book(s) returned to you. You also have to be a Collector Society Member or a CGC Dealer to submit books to CCS.  If you have a local comic book store that has a CGC Dealer account, they could submit the books for you. Otherwise the least expensive Collector Society Membership with submission privileges is $39 a year.  

If these books have sentimental value to you, I completely understand and you should send them in for a screening to see if CCS believes they can safely remove the label.  But otherwise it is likely going to cost less just to buy nice copies on eBay or a comic book store. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,675 posts
5 hours ago, Tony S said:

The short answer is "probably". 

The long answer is that if the books are not expensive, it would be more cost effective to go purchase copies of the books on eBay or a comic shop that don't have labels or similar defects. 

CCS lists "restoration removal" as a service (which removing a sticker probably is) starting at $5 for an assessment and $12 for the service. This for books published 1975 and after worth $200 or less.  Older and more valuable books cost more.  Plus you will have your shipping costs to CCS and the shipping costs of having book(s) returned to you. You also have to be a Collector Society Member or a CGC Dealer to submit books to CCS.  If you have a local comic book store that has a CGC Dealer account, they could submit the books for you. Otherwise the least expensive Collector Society Membership with submission privileges is $39 a year.  

If these books have sentimental value to you, I completely understand and you should send them in for a screening to see if CCS believes they can safely remove the label.  But otherwise it is likely going to cost less just to buy nice copies on eBay or a comic book store. 

 

This is sound advice. If the books have that much sentimental value keep them as is and buy another nicer copy. The best of both worlds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,961 posts

The cost of removing those labels is just like removing tape, not cheap! And they are a real PITA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

I do have a Collector's Society Membership and have submitted comics for grading before.  The advice I'm getting here is much as I'd thought.  The comics in question are Iron Man #1, Incredible Hulk #101 and Captain America #100 and Sub-Mariner #1 - the premiere issues of their solo titles from 1968.  Replacing them through E-Bay quite costly too.  I was only thinking  that the glue must have deteriorated from 1968 by now and maybe there is some method the professionals know about.  Without the defect I'd say they would grade at 6.0 to 6.5 in that range, so not super valuable.  Thanks to all for the replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,660 posts
24 minutes ago, David Stager said:

I do have a Collector's Society Membership and have submitted comics for grading before.  The advice I'm getting here is much as I'd thought.  The comics in question are Iron Man #1, Incredible Hulk #101 and Captain America #100 and Sub-Mariner #1 - the premiere issues of their solo titles from 1968.  Replacing them through E-Bay quite costly too.  I was only thinking  that the glue must have deteriorated from 1968 by now and maybe there is some method the professionals know about.  Without the defect I'd say they would grade at 6.0 to 6.5 in that range, so not super valuable.  Thanks to all for the replies.

Can you show us the books?  We can give you the estimated grades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

Thanks for forcing me to get these out of the box and out of the comic bags and look at them.  Much lower grade than my lying memory.  Maybe 2.0 - 3.0.  Sigh.  However, I personally plucked them off a spinner rack as a little boy from the local supermarket and somehow kept them.   I just want the Dymo labels removed and the red pen from Sub-Marner's boobs and belt removed and put them in some kind of nice frame on the wall.   I can see they have little collectable value given their poor condition.  Anyhow, your reply is much appreciated.

Captain Amerca (100).jpg

Iron Man (1).jpg

Sub-Mariner (1).jpg

The Incredible Hulk (102).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315 posts
1 hour ago, David Stager said:

Thanks for forcing me to get these out of the box and out of the comic bags and look at them.  Much lower grade than my lying memory.  Maybe 2.0 - 3.0.  Sigh.  However, I personally plucked them off a spinner rack as a little boy from the local supermarket and somehow kept them.   I just want the Dymo labels removed and the red pen from Sub-Marner's boobs and belt removed and put them in some kind of nice frame on the wall.   I can see they have little collectable value given their poor condition.  Anyhow, your reply is much appreciated.

Captain Amerca (100).jpg

Iron Man (1).jpg

Sub-Mariner (1).jpg

The Incredible Hulk (102).jpg

They're better with the labels, IMO. Great story and unique, since they're not high grade anyways. I wonder how CGC would grade them with the labels still attached?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

I think the idea was to label the top of each stack.   I remember begging my mother for her small change to buy these.   It was the Marvel Super Heroes cartoons on TV that got me started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,777 posts

Having seen pictures of the books, I don't believe the labels will have a big impact on the assigned grades. Some impact of course, but not a lot.  Given these were books from your childhood - that you picked off the spinner racks and then labeled, I believe - as sorb3t mentions  - that you should consider grading them as is. They have a great story and history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,120 posts

I agree. The labels are a part of their history for you. I'd leave them. I probably wouldn't bother slabbing them, if you want a display just have them framed together behind UV protected glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

I've come to the obvious conclusion that you are all correct.  I'm going to frame them on the wall as is and tell the story to whoever might notice the "defects."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

Yes!  I love it, 'subby', 'shell head', that's freaking hilarious!!!!  I use to have a couple of those label makers.  Show us some pictures of them framed on your wall. I'd pay more for these books from the 'Stager' pedigree.

Edited by Dibble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38,748 posts

Wacky! What were you smokin'?:insane: Made my day - And I thought cutting the MVS out of one of my Hulk 181's was the stupidest thing ever . . . lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

I'm just a stupid kid.  My friends and I were little league baseball players and probably a dozen other kids handled and read these things before they ever got back to me.  That's how their condition deteriorated. They were stored in the trunk of an old Rambler we had in the side yard that didn't run.  Push button transmission as I remember.  Just in cardboard boxes, not bagged or boarded until I was an adult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38,748 posts
9 hours ago, David Stager said:

I'm just a stupid kid.  My friends and I were little league baseball players and probably a dozen other kids handled and read these things before they ever got back to me.  That's how their condition deteriorated. They were stored in the trunk of an old Rambler we had in the side yard that didn't run.  Push button transmission as I remember.  Just in cardboard boxes, not bagged or boarded until I was an adult.

Must've been a Dodge if it had a push button tranny . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,635 posts
On 1/2/2018 at 6:07 PM, sorb3t said:

They're better with the labels, IMO. Great story and unique, since they're not high grade anyways. I wonder how CGC would grade them with the labels still attached?

Big +1 for me on this.  Removing those labels takes the story away.  I mean "Shell Head"!  Those are priceless memories in my opinion and are a big reason most of us collect.  Those are the trophy pieces you should frame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38,748 posts
10 hours ago, comicquant said:

Big +1 for me on this.  Removing those labels takes the story away.  I mean "Shell Head"!  Those are priceless memories in my opinion and are a big reason most of us collect.  Those are the trophy pieces you should frame!

Not to mention the nipples on Subby . . . lol

Wow! You can say nipples here . . . nipples, nipples, nipples lol

Edited by divad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

I had a copy of Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #1 from that era (1968).  Black and white.  I used it as a coloring book.  A Christmas gift of pastel crayons made it irresistible for me.   Looking at it now, it's a mess.  A complete mess.  But... I still have it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0