• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating DavidtheDavid
1 1

318 posts in this topic

Unfortunately this thread has become nothing more than entertainment for the rest of the board (which includes me).  I, along with many others, continue to say the same thing regarding the poor initial responses from both parties and neither accepting the possibility of blame (as the damage either occurred while in the possession of the seller, or the buyer, or less likely but still possible while in transit).   It is possible that neither the buyer nor the seller knows they caused the damage, but it also possible that either party knows they created the damage and are now not being forthcoming.  

Why can everyone but two interested parties realize that - is it some misguided bravado, intention to deceive, remorse, etc.?  For whatever reason, please don't mind the spectators here and on with the show - the admission was free, popcorn and drinks are available, and the entertainment is most enjoyable.

The above expressed as my own opinion, of course.  

29 minutes ago, joeypost said:

It is interesting that most took his comment to mean "I will refund the full purchase price". I know I did with the few posts I read.

Are scans of the book available showing before and after? I would like to see exactly what type of damage occurred.

Before  ... don't know where after is ..

Famous Funnies before

6 minutes ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Before  ... don't know where after is ..

Famous Funnies before

Was the book shipped the way it was shown in the for sale listing? Looks like it is bagged and boarded, and then put into a sleeve with another board (full back possibly) to provide additional protection.

IMG_9616.jpg

1 hour ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Repeated three times.  Which is pretty much, "You're saying things, but I don't really care what they are, or if anything you say has merit."  A lot of people have suggested a number of constructive things, including possible solutions, and commented throughout.  Has your reaction been the same to all of those comments as well?

Talk about wow.  I rarely interject myself into proceedings on here, but this is a PL discussion, and unless you've never seen one or looked at one before, that's what people do -- discuss.  They ask questions, press parties on the facts, and do all of this to determine if a PL place for someone is necessary. You've claimed people here are making assumptions, yet you go here and do the same exact thing about me, even though you've kept interjecting yourself into the discussion as well. Do you need to borrow a mirror before you make that statement?

It's not therapy, nor is it any fun.  You have no idea what goes on in my life either.  Now that I've asked you again about other relevant facts involved, you've chosen to make a veiled personal insult.  And your comment about "going after you" has no merit, considering that if you actually read numerous things I've posted throughout, I've made numerous statements that I didn't think either party had malicious intent, and even in that last statement, I repeated the same.  And what's this about me being "accountable"?  I'm not the one who opened up a PL nomination here, so it's not my "accountability" that's on the line here -- it's yours and the buyers. Also, I didn't gloss over your "return" comments.  You said, throughout those PM's, that you would "buy the book" back, have the money back to him by Monday, then have money back to him when the book was received, then no money back to him whatsoever".  That's a lot of different statements you made in a short amount of time. At this point, it's hard to figure out what your intentions even were with him in the PM's, because you changed your tune (and tone) multiple times in a short period. 

There's a Paypal dispute. I wish I could just open the book, see the damage that I believe he caused - and buy the book back at a grade that's different and less than the VF+ condition I remember selling it to him.

I am not looking to keep both money and the book.

I said I needed to see it up close to see the damage. I said I would buy the book back. I never said at what price. He mailed the book back and twisted up the words.

Great for you if you assist people with medical care.  I'm sorry you lost money in some fashion.

Thanks.

None of that matters, unless it's affecting the actual PL case.

I had a mini-stroke about a month ago.  I'm being tested for bladder cancer on July 5th.  I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia six months ago and spend every day in some amount of pain, either slight or major. I have medical bills out the wazoo. My mother died in April, unexpectedly, and while she was living with me.  She and my stepfather, my wife and I moved in with us a couple of years ago to take care of them, and I was the one to discover that she had died. Guess what -- life sucks for a bunch of people, not just you or me.

No, it was simply a response to you and I hate hearing this. If you wish to pm me I can share a few details as well and some resources.

And none of that matters here either -- unless it's relevant.  Money issues on your end are fair game when trying to determine what's happening with a PL nomination -- look back at the Chip Cataldo case as a perfect example.  Money issues on your end -- no matter why they occurred -- become relevant information if you would be unable to do a refund on a book of that amount.  It's why I brought it up -- no, you actually brought it up in a very recent sales thread and the PM's with the buyer (in which the buyer said, in order to try to help you, he'd rather keep the book and find a better solution financially for you than a return).  Don't get angry if the subject is asked about when you brought it into the discussion in both the above referenced instances.

I am more than willing to buy the book back but theres a dispute raised with Paypal and that determines what occurs and when it occurs. Furthermore, any comparison to Chip is as far a stretch as it is to the other side of the Universe.

You've bringing the police into this matter?  Again, all I can say is ... wow.  There's 8 full pages of commentary about this, and umpteen boardies -- including myself -- have said or acknowledged that the buyer made an error in not going over the book better when first received (a mistake, I've admitted to making myself, FWIW).  Even the buyer, a few posts above this, acknowledges the same thing.  I don't believe anyone here has stated that they thing the buyer has pulled some sort of fraud on you (such as damaging the book, then intentionally trying to pass it off otherwise, which has been your claim), or they've stated that proving any such claim would be pretty much impossible.  But you've now made this into a criminal matter?  Really?  That's a complete overreaction, and if that doesn't put up a red flag for someone dealing with you in the future, I don't know what would. doh!

Yes - and there's a reason whether you understand it or not. Now, as far as the 9 pages of commentary, It's not just about the buyer going over the book. It's about that coupled with the misinterpretation on his part of "need to see up close", "buy the book back" and no definitive offer on at how much. The comment on Monday or related to when the book arrived is based upon the condition I feel. Whether any boardie likes that or not - that's what was communicated. Now, I know this is hard to agree with but I remember the book being "gorgeous"so when the words were used, well, I felt like, yeah, he got a great deal. As for making into a criminal matter - no - I've done no such thing. What I've done is utilized the system that's set up to protect people as a form of authentication and claim support and its your unfortunate belief that you know what you're talking about once more. Your commentary thereafter is what you've done in every post.

My "panties aren't in a wad".  You currently have the book AND the money for it.  At this point, the buyer is the one who is potentially completely out of pocket 100%.  What you do with the book is your decision, but keeping both it AND the money paid for it seems wrong, for lack of a better term.  People with legal backgrounds can comment on the implications of that -- I won't, other than I'm glad I'm not in the buyer's shoes right now, because for all of your protesting, he's clearly the one currently with the most to lose, depending on how you proceed from here.

I will hold the book until I am contacted by Paypal with their decision. It's ultimately my skin - and I do not have the money, Paypal does. I can also make an offer based upon the buyer dropping the claim that it arrived damaged and make an offer based on his scans and any other damage that I find different than I remember the book and say here's $X.XX and if you don't want it I'll send the book right back to you. There's no proof I shipped the book that way and anyone who has bought from me knows my grading is accurate - including you.

In fairness, I saved this comment for last.  One of us started a PL thread about another member almost instantaneously after a disagreement about something regarding a transaction occurred.  One of us, in that disagreement, flipped the switch from cordial to harshly accusatory to another member within literally hours.  One of us is bringing the police into what should be a civil manner, handled professionally and with respect, with both parties working to find as amicable a solution as possible.  One of us has made factually incorrect statements here, had them pointed out, and then went ahead and retracted them. One of us has resorted to personally insulting the other one here, when that other one has stated numerous times that they sympathized with your position and didn't believe you had done anything nefarious (the former, a position I'm certainly starting to rethink).  Anyone reading this thread knows who that "one" is (hint: it's not me).  I'm doing you a great favor?  If you believe that, then that's more proof I'm making the right decision to put you on any "Do not deal with" list for the future. :facepalm:

doh! Yes, that was me. Again with the police... you just don't get it and its exhausting. Take the position that the buyer created some serious doubt from the get go and that the buyer also misinterpreted what was WRITTEN and regardless of what ever has occurred, went on to remain unaccountable for both. I wasn't aware that there's a don't deal with list. I'd hate to be on that but if that's what the board decides, there's little I can do.

For some reason you think I'm not willing to buy the book back. For some reason you think that my actions are more heinous than the buyers misinterpretations. Your missives have attacked me repeatedly yet fail to pay attention to the facts surrounding the PMs. I cannot change how angry I got - I don't think it should take away  from what the communications were. 

I'm sorry that you can't see this.

45 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Was the book shipped the way it was shown in the for sale listing? Looks like it is bagged and boarded, and then put into a sleeve with another board (full back possibly) to provide additional protection.

IMG_9616.jpg

Yes. It was also placed in a cardboard comic container for shipping and then placed inside a USPS Priority Box with additional wrapping/ padding (I can't remember if I then wrapped the cardboard comic shipping box with tons of bubble wrap or used peanuts. I think it was the bubble wrap). Funny, no one ever used asked how it was packed...

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

@joeypost

After images below. The front corner damage is what I observed when I first removed the comic from the outer mylar and looked at the comic. I don't have your experience, but to me, that damage coincides with what's on the back top corner as well. In total, that suggests to me that the damage occurred beforehand. 

Famous Funnies 211.jpeg

Famous Funnies 211b.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

Yes. It was also placed in a cardboard comic container for shipping and then placed inside a USPS Priority Box with additional wrapping/ padding (I can't remember if I then wrapped the cardboard comic shipping box with tons of bubble wrap or used peanuts. I think it was the bubble wrap). Funny, no one ever used asked how it was packed...

I ask because it could eliminate certain ways damage could have occurred. I have seen impact dents from books that were packed well, but not secure in the bag and board that shifted around inside the box. I am not putting blame on anyone, just thinking out loud.

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

I ask because it could eliminate certain ways damage could have occurred. I have seen impact dents from books that were packed well, but not secure in the bag and board that shifted around inside the box. I am not putting blame on anyone, just thinking out loud.

Yes. the book was also taped securely to a portion on the inside of the cardboard comic shipper/ carrier (what ever its called).

2 minutes ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

For some reason you think I'm not willing to buy the book back. For some reason you think that my actions are more heinous than the buyers misinterpretations. Your missives have attacked me repeatedly yet fail to pay attention to the facts surrounding the PMs. I cannot change how angry I got - I don't think it should take away  from what the communications were. 

I'm sorry that you can't see this.

You've claimed other people are making assumptions, yet you continue to do so.  If you would like to go back now, through everything I posted, and quote where I said either of those things directly (what I've bolded above), please do so.  You won't, because I didn't, because you're assuming that's what I think, even though it's never been stated. (And if you somehow do find that instance, where I'm saying your actions are more heinous than the buyer's, or where I said absolutely you were keeping the book and the money, then I'll retract it. but again, I'm nearly 100% I didn't and you won't).  What I did do was to ask what your intentions were with the book now in hand along with the full amount paid for the book as well (which you have, above, answered now).  

You keep using the word "attack"  -- I do not think that word means what you think it means.  Nothing I've written here in this thread could be or should be viewed as an "attack", and using that language does the entire discussion here a disservice.  Advice has been given, by myself and others -- has anyone who has raised questions about either party's behavior, actions, or comments, in your mind, also engaged in an "attack"? I can quote myself from several places in this thread where I've publicly stated that mistakes were made on both sides, and that I sympathize with your position -- why you would view that take on my part as an "attack", I have no idea.  (shrug)

To quote you again, "I'm sorry you can't see this". 

5 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

@joeypost

After images below. The front corner damage is what I observed when I first removed the comic from the outer mylar and looked at the comic. I don't have your experience, but to me, that damage coincides with what's on the back top corner as well. In total, that suggests to me that the damage occurred beforehand. 

Famous Funnies 211.jpeg

Famous Funnies 211b.jpeg

Looks like an impact dent. The bend on the back cover...does it have dirt  in the crease?

Any way to get a close-up of the bend on the back cover? Or a blow up of the part of your scan?

Edited by joeypost

1 minute ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

Yes. the book was also taped securely to a portion on the inside of the cardboard comic shipper/ carrier (what ever its called).

Was the top of the sleeve taped to keep the book from sliding out?

13 minutes ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

. Take the position that the buyer created some serious doubt from the get go and that the buyer also misinterpreted what was WRITTEN and regardless of what ever has occurred, went on to remain unaccountable for both. I wasn't aware that there's a don't deal with list. I'd hate to be on that but if that's what the board decides, there's little I can do.

Can't take accountability for what I didn't do. But here's what you don't get: it's absolutely just as plausible that YOU damaged the book either before shipment, or during shipping and handling. Do I know if you did? Do I think you did? Do I know if you had fraudulent intent? No, I don't. That was what my 'nomination' for you on the PL was about: by your 'reasoning' you are just as open to accusations of misdeeds as I.

But you've set sail on this course and made up your mind, and so be it.

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Looks like an impact dent. The bend on the back cover...does it have dirt  in the crease?

Here's what my scans that were done on May 24th, 2017 look like. And you saw the extra protection around the book.

FF211.jpg

FF211BC.jpg

3 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Can't take accountability for what I didn't do. But here's what you don't get: it's absolutely just as plausible that YOU damaged the book either before shipment, or during shipping and handling. Do I know if you did? Do I think you did? Do I know if you had fraudulent intent? No, I don't. That was what my 'nomination' for you on the PL was about: by your 'reasoning' you are just as open to accusations of misdeeds as I.

But you've set sail on this course and made up your mind, and so be it.

Although you've taken this position you can't prove any of it and everyone who has purchased from me on the boards knows this is as far a stretch as there is. Secondly, where are any of your responses, whether as admissions or denials, about my specific words of "buy back the book" and "need to see the damage"?? I do not believe what you claimed for a second and your misinterpretation and manipulation of what I said caused you to make a serious mistake. 

Just now, DavidTheDavid said:

May 24?! You shipped on June 12. That's a lot of days for potential mishandling.

doh! You mean it was sitting on a shelf for over 2weeks. The comment like you've just made is further evidence of why I've treated you with such disdain.

4 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

May 24?! You shipped on June 12. That's a lot of days for potential mishandling.

One last question and then I will quit.

Do you remember if the backing board had the same crunch?

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

One last question and then I will quit.

Do you remember if the backing board had the same crunch?

No, I don't. Like I said in my PM to Maxwell, I didn't notice any damage to the box that would make me want to photograph it. I've done that before, which helped out one seller here as it substantiated his USPS claim. 

14 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

No, I don't. Like I said in my PM to Maxwell, I didn't notice any damage to the box that would make me want to photograph it. I've done that before, which helped out one seller here as it substantiated his USPS claim. 

Clearly you forgot to look at that too...