• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2017 at 1:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Wow, so you are the bidder who beat me out on both copies of this book here, although I must admit that I had already dropped out by then as I about 2 or 3 bid increments behind you in both cases.  :pullhair:

Although AMF V2#3 does indeed have a beautiful cover image, any other reason why you would go after both copies of the same issue instead of going after AMF's V2#2 or V2#6 since both of these issues also have gorgeous cover images, were in approximately the same grade (CGC 8.0 to CGC 8.5), and their final prices also finished up in roughly the same ballpark?  hm

BTW:  Huge congrats on your pickups and Welcome to the Boards here as this is an amazing first post from you.  (thumbsu

I never said thanks for the welcome.   I gotta say I'm shocked at the knowledgeable and sensible people i see here.  After toiling away in isolation, learning what I could about comics, this is a breath of fresh air.

You asked why I bought the books I bought, but I really don't have any reason to offer for going after the V2#3 other than, behind V2#1, I simply liked it best.  

You're the Fox collector, right?  I just picked up a copy of Science #2 in a Heritage auction.  I can't get over how cool that cover is.

Regards, Clark

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Clink is very customer oriented..... that's exactly what I would do.... I'd be curious to learn the actual explanation, as that has happened to me several times as well... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've had very good dealings with their cs too,  but my guess is they'd probably just offer up some excuse, and then they'd tell you that in the future you need to put in your true max bid a few minutes earlier.

Edited by szavisca

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

people also need to remember the in addition to the CLINK and COMICCONNECT auctions, HA was running the rare books auction.  I really wanted that "Talented Mr Ripley" :cry:

That auction completely slipped my mind.  A book I had my eye on slipped away well below what I would have paid.  Oh well, it's not as if I haven't been spending enough lately. :)

4 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

I never said thanks for the welcome.   I gotta say I'm shocked at the knowledgeable and sensible people i see here.  After toiling away in isolation, learning what I could about comics, this is a breath of fresh air.

You asked why I bought the books I bought, but I really don't have any reason to offer for going after the V2#3 other than, behind V2#1, I simply liked it best.  

You're the Fox collector, right?  I just picked up a copy of Science #2 in a Heritage auction.  I can't get over how cool that cover is.

Regards, Clark

Stick around and your opinion will change! :)

4 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

Regards, Clark

Your a man of good taste with a Science 2 pickup one of my favorite Fine covers (thumbsu

23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That auction completely slipped my mind.  A book I had my eye on slipped away well below what I would have paid.  Oh well, it's not as if I haven't been spending enough lately. :)

I was gonna say you haven't been spending enough lately. That Seven Seas 6 was supposed to kickstart the new and improved Sqeggs Sqellection. 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:20 AM, Mijael.Levy said:
On 9/14/2017 at 9:56 AM, lou_fine said:

:news:   Yes indeed, the GGA books and the romance books along with the Millie's and Kathy's in this particular auction along with similar girl titles have pretty much been on fire for the past couple of years ever since Bedrock and a few of the other boardies here have been going after them.  :flipbait:

:idea:  Maybe now we need to look for some sexy cowgirls or funny bunnies in contorted into provocative positions in order to revive the long dead western and funny animal genre and light a fire under them.  lol

I am really concerned. People are paying crazy prices for low grades . I mean 2.0 , 1.5 etc , mid grades are becoming unatainable .... If this continues i will get purple slabs

Well, when it comes to GA books I believe this has been in play for several years now.  Especially when HG copies and in particular for the keys, very seldom ever shows up in the marketplace and when they do, are beyond the reach of 99% of the buyers out there.  As a result, low and mid-grades and even entry level copies for the expensive keys is where the bulk of the real action is in the current marketplace.  This is even starting to spread beyond the GA books, as is clearly evident with what is happening to AF 15 prices and possibly some of the other Marvel keys.

Even old Bob has gotten around to recognize this recent phenomenon as it used to be the top of guides that always got the big increases while the low and mid grades were lucky to get any kind of increases unless the book was really hot.  Definitely not the case anymore.  For example, if you take a look at a book like 'Tec 31 which is an expensive key which actually doesn't trade (at least publicly) in the high grades, but does in the low and mid grades.  Overstreet has raised his top of guide price on this book by only 28% over the past 2 years, but by a whopping, albeit still undervalued 92% in bottom of guide.  Same for a book like Flash 86 which slow conservative Bob has raised by 272% in top of guide while going up by 478% in bottom of guide over just the past 2 years.  :whatthe:

As for buying purple slabs before they also become unattainable, it might already be too late for the bigger keys, especially if the restoration is only slight and professional.  I would say the smart buyers with an eye to the future are probably already starting to pick off some of the semi keys or HTF truly scarce.  Just take a look at the recent Jon Berk auction where many of the HTF PLOD's were still able to fetch a healthy premium, and in some cases, even multiples to guide.  hm

On 9/14/2017 at 6:55 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 9/14/2017 at 6:02 PM, fleepunyhumans said:

Superman went cold.  A cool Hitler cover (#17) in high grade went for only $10k.  That's a $15k book.  Wish I hadn't already shot my wad that last coupla nights!!

IMG_0735.JPG

Does seem like a good deal, although GPA records a 7.5 selling for $8,365 last November.

Although Superman may possibly appear to be cold from this one particular auction result, he most definitely can be certified as stone cold dead when you combine him with Batman in World's Finest as many of those early issues were only able to sell at a big discount to guide in the CC auction.  At least this copy still went for a very healthy 62%+ over condition guide price which is much better than what the Superman Batman combo in World's Finest can fetch.   (thumbsu

Actually, I think what may have hurt this book is nothing more than too many copies in too short of a time period.  After all, is this not the 4th nice copy to hit the marketplace in less than a year ranging in grade from VF- 7.5 through to VF/NM 9.0.  There's only so many buyers willing to dig deep into their pockets to pay silly money for books.

Looking back on some of the auction results here and in the CC auction, there are many others that I would say were clear under performers.  This is why I believe that auctions are often a matter of timing and luck, especially when it comes to lucking into the perfect storm where you have 2 deep pocket buyers determined to win the same book.  Easier to find strikeouts as opposed to these headline grabbing grand slams when it comes to these auctions.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/15/2017 at 6:18 AM, fleepunyhumans said:
On 8/28/2017 at 11:36 PM, lou_fine said:

Although AMF V2#3 does indeed have a beautiful cover image, any other reason why you would go after both copies of the same issue instead of going after AMF's V2#2 or V2#6 since both of these issues also have gorgeous cover images, were in approximately the same grade (CGC 8.0 to CGC 8.5), and their final prices also finished up in roughly the same ballpark?  hm

It's always ideal to go after the books that you yourself like the best as it's your money and your collection.  Well done with the AMF V2#3.  (thumbsu

As for the Science 2, is this the copy you are referring to:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-comics-2-mile-high-pedigree-fox-1940-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7166-91110.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

If so, definitely very well done and a book which is clearly out of my league by a long long shot.  Indeed, a very beautiful book nonetheless.  :cloud9:

As for being a Fox collector per se, not really sure if I fit that definition as I also collect a lot of other books.  Just happened to pick up several of the Fox books when they became available back in the mid-90's, although they certainly did not come cheap at that time as the GA market was on fire back then.  Now, I am happy that I did as they look relatively cheap compared to what they are going for in today's marketplace, even though the few Fox books in this just completed CC auction was definitely nothing to write home about, as they sold below what I was expecting them to go for.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, when it comes to GA books I believe this has been in play for several years now.  Especially when HG copies and in particular for the keys, very seldom ever shows up in the marketplace and when they do, are beyond the reach of 99% of the buyers out there.  As a result, low and mid-grades and even entry level copies for the expensive keys is where the bulk of the real action is in the current marketplace.  This is even starting to spread beyond the GA books, as is clearly evident with what is happening to AF 15 prices and possibly some of the other Marvel keys.

Even old Bob has gotten around to recognize this recent phenomenon as it used to be the top of guides that always got the big increases while the low and mid grades were lucky to get any kind of increases unless the book was really hot.  Definitely not the case anymore.  For example, if you take a look at a book like 'Tec 31 which is an expensive key which actually doesn't trade (at least publicly) in the high grades, but does in the low and mid grades.  Overstreet has raised his top of guide price on this book by only 28% over the past 2 years, but by a whopping, albeit still undervalued 92% in bottom of guide.  Same for a book like Flash 86 which slow conservative Bob has raised by 272% in top of guide while going up by 478% in bottom of guide over just the past 2 years.  :whatthe:

As for buying purple slabs before they also become unattainable, it might already be too late for the bigger keys, especially if the restoration is only slight and professional.  I would say the smart buyers with an eye to the future are probably already starting to pick off some of the semi keys or HTF truly scarce.  Just take a look at the recent Jon Berk auction where many of the HTF PLOD's were still able to fetch a healthy premium, and in some cases, even multiples to guide.  hm

Yes GA keys  are now unatainable by 99% of the people but now we have the alternative for semi keys (1st character on the cover for example) ,  non expensive classic covers and other nice covers that are not noted as "classics" but collectors are starting to appreciate more every day. 

It's always ideal to go after the books that you yourself like the best as it's your money and your collection.  Well done with the AMF V2#3.  (thumbsu

As for the Science 2, is this the copy you are referring to:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-comics-2-mile-high-pedigree-fox-1940-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7166-91110.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

If so, definitely very well done and a book which is clearly out of my league by a long long shot.  Indeed, a very beautiful book nonetheless.  :cloud9:

As for being a Fox collector per se, not really sure if I fit that definition as I also collect a lot of other books.  Just happened to pick up several of the Fox books when they became available back in the mid-90's, although they certainly did not come cheap at that time as the GA market was on fire back then.  Now, I am happy that I did as they look relatively cheap compared to what they are going for in today's marketplace, even though the few Fox books in this just completed CC auction was definitely nothing to write home about, as they sold below what I was expecting them to go for.  (shrug)

No, I got a 4.5 Science 2 from Heritage.  I was overseas when the Heritage auction for the MH copy finished.  I contemplated hard between the MH Science 2 and the Tec 35, and right or wrong, saw a brighter future for the Tec 35.  They have no internet access in China(its still a communist country, believe it or not) so I was forced to leave high bids before I left. Well,  I missed on the Tec 35, and now wish I'd bet the same money to the MH Science 2. Oh well.  

I'm about at the end of my buy cycle.  I'm going to put away the books and try TRY to unplug from the comic world and forget the whole thing.  I'll peek out again in a few years, if all goes according to plan, and see what's what.  

I feel blessed to have been in the comic hobby.  It's the best hobby EVER

Although Superman may possibly appear to be cold from this one particular auction result, he most definitely can be certified as stone cold dead when you combine him with Batman in World's Finest as many of those early issues were only able to sell at a big discount to guide in the CC auction.  At least this copy still went for a very healthy 62%+ over condition guide price which is much better than what the Superman Batman combo in World's Finest can fetch.   (thumbsu

Actually, I think what may have hurt this book is nothing more than too many copies in too short of a time period.  After all, is this not the 4th nice copy to hit the marketplace in less than a year ranging in grade from VF- 7.5 through to VF/NM 9.0.  There's only so many buyers willing to dig deep into their pockets to pay silly money for books.

Looking back on some of the auction results here and in the CC auction, there are many others that I would say were clear under performers.  This is why I believe that auctions are often a matter of timing and luck, especially when it comes to lucking into the perfect storm where you have 2 deep pocket buyers determined to win the same book.  Easier to find strikeouts as opposed to these headline grabbing grand slams when it comes to these auctions.  hm

I didn't realize that many high grade Superman 17s had come out recently.  That's gotta be why the low response:  buyer fatigue.  I don't know how the Silver Age and Bronze Age market overcomes the fact that there will ALWAYS be a Incredible Hulk 181 9.8 available AT ALL TIMES, as well as Amazing Spider-man, etc.  I prefer a sector like the Golden Age where you're lucky if you EVER see certain books.

And yes, you're right:  Worlds Finest never does get much respect, does it?

I agree about how auction timing can make all the difference in the world.  It may just be my imagination, but I don't like auctions that end at the end of the year.  I think people are too focused on Christmas with their families and have less discretionary income.  I think auction in March - May tend to bring collectors roaring back, and personally think that is the best spot.  

I really hate that CC and CL auctions overlapped like that.  Consignors have no clue what other auction houses are doing when they send off their books.  Hell, I don't really know for sure the true auction dates of my own auction house when I send them off, let alone what other auction houses may be doing.  I sure don't want to be trying to sell at a time when multiple auction houses are also bringing down the gavel at the same time.

I personally think that was a colossal mess up with CL and CC finishing at the same time.

And one more thing:  is it just me, or does it seem like as soon as one auction house offers a rarely seen book, triggering mass interest, and then very soon another auction house will offer the same book(s) in higher grade?  Like the Jon Berk collection, followed closely by the Heritage Centaurs.  It's like someone is testing before bringing out the high grade stuff.

21 minutes ago, fleepunyhumans said:

I don't know how the Silver Age and Bronze Age market overcomes the fact that there will ALWAYS be a Incredible Hulk 181 9.8 available AT ALL TIMES, as well as Amazing Spider-man, etc.  I prefer a sector like the Golden Age where you're lucky if you EVER see certain books.

(thumbsu

There are atm 100 copies of 181 in 9.8 alone. 100 copies ! There are a great many GA books that don't have half that number in Total (Universal and Restored, with the latter holding the greater number most of the time)

So yeah, Wolvie is popular and everything but one can fetch a 9.8 with no trouble at all. Or any high grade SA and BA key for that matter. Just need the cash. Take a look at Heritage's next auction. Most of the SA keys in super high grade are all there for the picking. Pedigree will be hosting a 9.8 (only !) SA and BA auction, etc etc ... Don't get me wrong, I love the SA. Just very little thrill in the hunt.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Take a look at Heritage's next auction. Most of the SA keys in super high grade are all there for the picking.

To be fair, the selection of SA in the next Heritage auction is the best I've seen in quite a while.

I can assure you that 9.4 JIM 83s coming up for auction is NOT a commonplace event.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

I can assure you that 9.4 JIM 83s coming up for auction is NOT a commonplace event.

True. In 9.4 grade once a year perhaps. Nevertheless, a high grade JIM 83 ( 8.5+ ) shouldn't be all that hard to find.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

True. In 9.4 grade once a year perhaps.

Not even once a year in 9.4.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Nevertheless, a high grade JIM 83 ( 8.5+ ) shouldn't be all that hard to find.

I've read and re-read this sentence and I still can't understand it. :baiting:

ah, i see.  for me, it's like there were the auctions in 2013 and 2014, which if i recall correctly was after a pretty long hiatus, and then 2017.

this is because i can't see books on comiclink because they've blocked me and everyone else in china and hong kong, and i don't look at pedigree anymore.

the 2015 sale on heritage was a cbcs book, so i kind of disregarded it, although now that i think about it, i should have just equated their 9.6 with cgc 9.4, so i guess i was aware of that one.