• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket trouble.

61 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I was so happy when I deleted mine. It was constantly freezing my computer

Same here, took forever to download a picture. :pullhair:

I received the e-mail from Photobucket today explaining that I'd have to buy a $399 annual plan to support third party hosting.  :censored:

Here I'm testing posting an image downloaded from my Photobucket library onto my computer.  Looks like the image is downsized:

ASM3.jpg~original.jpeg

Edited by namisgr

Yes, but I'm a paid member.

I'm finally reading the statement about third party hosting and it appears that I may be safe until December 31, 2018

Not sure what happens after that. 

I'll just find another option if they want that much money just to have third party hosting after that. 

11 hours ago, greggy said:

Yes, but I'm a paid member.

I'm finally reading the statement about third party hosting and it appears that I may be safe until December 31, 2018

Not sure what happens after that. 

I'll just find another option if they want that much money just to have third party hosting after that. 

I'm a paid member too - I can't remember the classification, but it was $30-40 a year.  Is that your level of membership too?

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I'm a paid member too - I can't remember the classification, but it was $30-40 a year.  Is that your level of membership too?

The cheapest version is $59.99 per year as far as I can see now.

It may have been cheaper when I signed up but that's the cheapest.

Given the current pricing tier, it makes no sense to continue on after December 31, 2018, as the cheapest tier won't allow linking or third party hosting.

It's a year and a half away so they may be pressured to make some changes, as the current pricing scheme makes no sense going forward.  You can host your own website for cheaper. 

I guess one bright spot for me is that all my comic scans are still in an external drive, and not solely lodged in photobucket.  I only delete the scans several years after the item sells.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I guess one bright spot for me is that all my comic scans are still in an external drive, and not solely lodged in photobucket.  I only delete the scans several years after the item sells.

I pretty well have all my scans saved on my hard drive except the stupid ones that may not be comic related.

Not going to kill me either way.

10 hours ago, greggy said:

The cheapest version is $59.99 per year as far as I can see now.

It may have been cheaper when I signed up but that's the cheapest.

Given the current pricing tier, it makes no sense to continue on after December 31, 2018, as the cheapest tier won't allow linking or third party hosting.

It's a year and a half away so they may be pressured to make some changes, as the current pricing scheme makes no sense going forward.  You can host your own website for cheaper. 

When I read it, I misread the year -- I thought it was December 31 of this year.  Eighteen months may as well be forever.  I'll hazard a guess that in the next few months they'll end up: 1) Significantly lowering the price to qualify for posting to third-party sites, and 2) bringing forward the date when existing lower-price accounts have to pony up.  

Otherwise, they're bound to catch a lot of flak (like they aren't already!) if over all that time they have a bunch of low-price legacy accounts (like the one I have) getting this key service for much less than the people being soaked for $399. 

Edited by Sqeggs

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

When I read it, I misread the year -- I thought it was December 31 of this year.  Eighteen months may as well be forever.  I'll hazard a guess that in the next few months they'll end up: 1) Significantly lowering the price to qualify for posting to third-party sites, and 2) bringing forward the date when existing lower-price accounts have to pony up.  

Otherwise, they're bound to catch a lot of flak (like they aren't already!) if over all that time they have a bunch of low-price legacy accounts (like the one I have) getting this key service for much less than the people being soaked for $399. 

I suspect that within a few months, something will change.

I suspect that they will crack.

It's bad enough with the new ads but can they survive this?

Is nobody reading the thread?  I posted this on the first page.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

There really is no valid reason to still use photobucket.  I cant even visit links other people post because the advertisements are so shady that they try to send me javascript viruses.  Complete joke.  

Someone here recommended Postimage.org.  I looked at it and it is very simple interface.  I moved all my comic pictures to it.  They don't resize your images.  My image hosting needs are simple though.  Storage, and a means to hotlink out thumbnails.  They do both and I am satisfied.   I have to still keep my photobucket account as it tons of links to post on the DC boards.  While the state they will stop linking, my images are still linked.  So until they cut that cord, I will just keep that account active.  But I am no longer using it.