• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE - My basement flooded where my books are
3 3

139 posts in this topic

I also would throw out soaked books-I just couldn't look at them any more.

2 hours ago, kav said:

I also would throw out soaked books-I just couldn't look at them any more.

How about auctioning off the whole bag of em.  I mean, instead of just tossing them. 

I guess shipping would be a drag

30 minutes ago, Senormac said:

How about auctioning off the whole bag of em.  I mean, instead of just tossing them. 

I guess shipping would be a drag

Only so much time to clean up and get everything dry that needs to be.   I kept some books back to dry out, but unfortunately I just don't have the space, resources or time to try and save them.   They were all soaked right through and don't want them fostering mold and mildew that would potentially spread to other areas and comics.   Having had so many comic boxes destroyed, I have stacks of books piled up all over the place until I can source some fresh boxes (I have them on order now)

An update on the flood damage and clean up.  The room has pretty much been completely cleaned up and is almost 100% dry now.  Still a minor bit of moisture under some parts of the laminate floor but that is steadily drying out.   I had planned on replacing this at some point, so I will remove it at a future date as its warped in many spots as a result of the water.

I pulled some additional books out that were also water damaged.  Nothing major, but lots of modern type drek and some lowish grade bronze/copper age stuff.   The books absorbed some water, but most books only had water marks on the lower portion of the books.    As opposed to junking these ones, it was nice and hot out, so I put the books our in front of the house along with some other stuff in case any one wanted to grab them for themselves.  One stack was gone within an hour and the other two stacks were taken within another hour after that.  I suspect someone grabbed a bunch while out for a walk and came back later with a car and took the rest.  The books I put out were all water damaged, but pretty much dry when I put them out, so hopefully someone can put them to use for themselves.  Whoever found them was probably thinking "Score!!", its not every day you see stacks of comics just sitting at the roadside.

A few of those later books I was clearing had already started to grow small bits of black stuff on them (I threw those in the garbage) so I was glad to get the last of the damaged books away from my other stuff.

The additional work I did to stop water from entering again seems to be working well as we have had several big storms roll through since the "incident"   I will probably purchase a few additional shelves  or bring in a pallet to at least keep my additional books off the ground.   Its not a complete solution, but at least would help avoid any future damage from water entry like the last one where the floor fills with water that is not too deep.

4 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

An update on the flood damage and clean up.  The room has pretty much been completely cleaned up and is almost 100% dry now.  Still a minor bit of moisture under some parts of the laminate floor but that is steadily drying out.   I had planned on replacing this at some point, so I will remove it at a future date as its warped in many spots as a result of the water.

I pulled some additional books out that were also water damaged.  Nothing major, but lots of modern type drek and some lowish grade bronze/copper age stuff.   The books absorbed some water, but most books only had water marks on the lower portion of the books.    As opposed to junking these ones, it was nice and hot out, so I put the books our in front of the house along with some other stuff in case any one wanted to grab them for themselves.  One stack was gone within an hour and the other two stacks were taken within another hour after that.  I suspect someone grabbed a bunch while out for a walk and came back later with a car and took the rest.  The books I put out were all water damaged, but pretty much dry when I put them out, so hopefully someone can put them to use for themselves.  Whoever found them was probably thinking "Score!!", its not every day you see stacks of comics just sitting at the roadside.

A few of those later books I was clearing had already started to grow small bits of black stuff on them (I threw those in the garbage) so I was glad to get the last of the damaged books away from my other stuff.

The additional work I did to stop water from entering again seems to be working well as we have had several big storms roll through since the "incident"   I will probably purchase a few additional shelves  or bring in a pallet to at least keep my additional books off the ground.   Its not a complete solution, but at least would help avoid any future damage from water entry like the last one where the floor fills with water that is not too deep.

Man, what a nightmare. I really feel for you. Since, sadly, you have so many less books would it be an option to move them inside to a dryer, safer part of your house? If it were me, at this point, I would probably do some real soul searching and really pair down my collection. Drek or not, losing books is a tragedy. Sometimes, you find you really don't need them all.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:47 AM, Architecht said:

Sorry to the hear that. :(

For the future, and for others, this is a pretty good product:

(You need the hub, and internet connection, and the water sensor --- but you can also hook up a bunch of other sensors and controls).

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-Water-Leak-Sensor/dp/B00MOIYIN6

I used to be actively involved in the aquarium hobby and these types of sensors were well regarded by those with HUGE tanks that could leak hundreds of gallons in minutes.

To the OP, so very sorry for your loss.  Stories like this remind me that we collect fragile things that can be easily lost to a variety of hazards.  Makes you think.

I wonder if anyone ever attempted to film the life of a single comic book. Sort of like that movie "Boy" where they filmed over the course of a year decade with the same actors, It would be interesting, to me at least, to dramatize the life of a single object like a comic book. You could open with the artist drawing the book-- the entire process of the book being created -- to the distribution (let's say this was a 1960s silver age) to some store where it is put on a rack, perhaps examined by a few kids-- then purchased and read (and read) but also sitting around a house or a barber shop -- wherever that book might have traveled--- perhaps it gets involved in a trade. At some point the book gets placed into a mylar bag or is boarded/boxed--- but while in the box, have the time jump ahead to the next time it gets taken out (could be decades even)-- and possibly sent to CGC for grading. Then having someone crack it out to read it again. It could also suffer some tragedy along the way (bug chew, brush with fire or water damage). and at some point it gets thrown away or destroyed.... end of the movie.

Edited by 01TheDude

11 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I wonder if anyone ever attempted to film the life of a single comic book. Sort of like that movie "Boy" where they filmed over the course of a year with the same actors, It would be interesting, to me at least, to dramatize the life of a single object like a comic book. You could open with the artist drawing the book-- the entire process of the book being created -- to the distribution (let's say this was a 1960s silver age) to some store where it is put on a rack, perhaps examined by a few kids-- then purchased and read (and read) but also sitting around a house or a barber shop -- wherever that book might have traveled--- perhaps it gets involved in a trade. At some point the book gets placed into a mylar bag or is boarded/boxed--- but while in the box, have the time jump ahead to the next time it gets taken out (could be decades even)-- and possibly sent to CGC for grading. Then having someone crack it out to read it again. It could also suffer some tragedy along the way (bug chew, brush with fire or water damage). and at some point it gets thrown away or destroyed.... end of the movie.

I like where you're going with this @01TheDude. The book should have a voice though. Maybe a Kenneth Williams style one? In one scene he's screaming in terror as a CGC operative commences slabbing him. It would be like the ending of the Wicker Man. "Oh God! Oh Jesus Christ!"

Later in the film the book is cracked open by a comic loving saviour in a truly uplifting scene representing the purity of freedom and liberation. Then Marvel could remake it, but with lots of Tony Stark references and with the book having staples that can see through walls and stuff.

What do you think?

First it's some nothing burger book then MOVIE HYPE!  It becomes HOT!!!

well my focus was a little more about how the book impacted the lives of people along the way but a narrated version could be pretty funny too. That is to say it would be a vehicle to display popular culture items that it encounters along the way-- TV shows, other toys, music - that moment when the current owner puts it away for a long sleep in a comfy box.