• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your least popular Marvel run?

39 posts in this topic

For me, I'd say it's a three way tie between Iron Man, Hulk and Submariner.  Was a big fan of TOS, but once Iron Man got his own book I  found the stories lacking.  With the exception of Issues 55, and the two part Dr Spectrum/Thor Silver and Bronze Age IM didn't do much for me until the so called War of The Super Villains and even that ended poorly.  I still can't read Hulks from about Issue 75 of TTA up. I love the character, thought he was great in The Defenders but never cared for his solo books.  Namor is another character that , in my view, is a great co-star or guest star but simply couldn't carry a book in the 1960s or 70s.  I did enjoy the Byrne series, but not the vintage stuff.

Somewhere along the line, I fell in love with the X-Men and even though most of their stories sucked, the characters were great.

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

For me, I'd say it's a three way tie between Iron Man, Hulk and Submariner.  Was a big fan of TOS, but once Iron Man got his own book I  found the stories lacking.  With the exception of Issues 55, and the two part Dr Spectrum/Thor Silver and Bronze Age IM didn't do much for me until the so called War of The Super Villains and even that ended poorly.  I still can't read Hulks from about Issue 75 of TTA up. I love the character, thought he was great in The Defenders but never cared for his solo books.  Namor is another character that , in my view, is a great co-star or guest star but simply couldn't carry a book in the 1960s or 70s.  I did enjoy the Byrne series, but not the vintage stuff.

Somewhere along the line, I fell in love with the X-Men and even though most of their stories sucked, the characters were great.

I struggled through the later TTA Hulk stories, but the early part of his own title are pretty awful.

I'll go ahead and assume we are discussing Superhero/Adventure type runs, as I didn't read Patsy and Hedy as a kid.  I always found Iron Man next to unreadable, even when Colan was delivering the art in TOS.  I wasn't much of a Sub-Mariner fan either.  As a kid, I think I even preferred reading Marvel's westerns to those two. 

Marvel never had a firm idea of what the Hulk exactly was; and I think the stories suffered greatly from it.

Was he Mr. Hyde? The Werewolf, coming out only at night? A mindless pawn at the beck and call of Rick Jones? Frankenstein's monster? Was he a viscious thug, a man-child, Captain Marvel from a gamma ray machine, instead of "Shazam!"?

Even the "Hulk like beans" version they settled on for years was more readable, I think simply because his persona wasn't constantly fluctuating. 

Just an opinion, I'm wrong a lot.

I loved Super- Villain Team Up, especially the whole shroud storyline. Re-read it about twenty years later and was very disappointed.  Strangely, I hated Skull the first time around and really enjoyed it much later.

I didn't care for bloodstone, and have never re-read it.

12 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

1. The Cat (even by Wally Wood)

2. Super-Villian Team Up

3. Marvel Presents (Bloodstone) but got better after #3 with GotG :wishluck:

I had the same experience when I reread SVTU. Held up much better in memory. The exception is the SVTU 14-Champions 16 crossover that pita Magneto against Dr. Doom. That holds up pretty well. I did like the Shroud as a character.

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Defenders were drek........................

I'd say drek is a stretch, but much of what Engelhart did was out there, with the mystery elf with the gun, the headmen (which did move some pre-hero Atlas characters into Marvel), even the zodiac and red rajah. But from the inception through Valkyrie intro through Avengers/Defenders war; Wrecking Crew intro, the Sons of the Serpent etc. ... The first couple years were actually quite awesome.

21 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I'd say drek is a stretch, but much of what Engelhart did was out there, with the mystery elf with the gun, the headmen (which did move some pre-hero Atlas characters into Marvel), even the zodiac and red rajah. But from the inception through Valkyrie intro through Avengers/Defenders war; Wrecking Crew intro, the Sons of the Serpent etc. ... The first couple years were actually quite awesome.

That's classic Steve Gerber.

Shogun Warriors

Human Fly

Edited by Ken Aldred

Since we're in the Silver Age forum, I'll go with Daredevil, TTA/Submariner, and TTA/Hulk.  After the first few issues featuring each character, the stories and art became more forgettable.

Edited by namisgr

As long as we're bashing Tales To Astonish, the Gi - Ant Man stories weren't exactly Marvel's Finest Hour.

That said, I still sorta like 'em. The first comic I ever bought was the Marvel Super-Heroes reprint of TTA 90. First Abomination by Gil Kane, Everett Subbie, and I freakin' LOVE that issue!

32 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

That's classic Steve Gerber.

Correct; mixing them up as its been a while. Some of that Defenders weirdness was from Englehart as well, right? It's been too long. I have the whole run and keep telling myself I'm going to read it end to end one of these months, but I think maybe I am afraid of finding it not hold up as well as I recall it. (Though I still think the story in which Doc, Nighthawk, and Luke Cage are battling the Wrecking Crew and then Hulk shows up will still crack me up.)

2 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

As long as we're bashing Tales To Astonish, the Gi - Ant Man stories weren't exactly Marvel's Finest Hour.

That said, I still sorta like 'em. The first comic I ever bought was the Marvel Super-Heroes reprint of TTA 90. First Abomination by Gil Kane, Everett Subbie, and I freakin' LOVE that issue!

The Abomination is a great villain! And it's not easy to make non-grand great villains (he's not great in that Thanos or Dr Doom way, but in that Captain Cold solid rival way).

The Defenders were great for a few years, but sometime in the mid-30s they lost their edge. They went from being a top of my pile book to mid and then low in the pile. They aren't Silver Age, though.

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I always found the Antman/Giant Man stories to be a bit corny but fun. Forgettable, but entertaining enough while you were reading them. At least they weren't a slog like the Hulk stories eventually got to be. I'll definitely agree that the Abomination story in #90-91 is a highlight. 

Something that I wouldn't read anymore past the first 4 issues is Silver Surfer.

Very one-note, tedious, whiny philosophising.

Some great John Buscema art, though, indisputably.