• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you help me identify this mark on ASM #300?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I purchased this CGC 9.2 graded ASM 300 the other day, and after the purchase I noticed there is a little mark on his right eye (yes I know I should have studied it more before-hand). If you scroll through the pics the mark looks a bit different in each picture (some it looks pink and others not, some it is harder to see). I contacted the seller and he doesn't even remember the mark being on the comic book, so I am wondering if it is on the case, especially since viewed from different angles it loses the color.

I included a few pictures that the seller listed, and if you scroll through you can see the mark looks different in each picture (which leads me to believe it is a mark on the case).

What does it look like to you guys? If that is an actual mark on his eye, could that even merit a CGC 9.2?

(Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, it seemed like the best bet to me)

asm3003.jpg

asm3004.jpg

asm3001.jpg

asm3002.jpg

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Probably ink rub from the back cover of the issue on top of it.  Even if it were dirt/grime/pencil/pen its such an innocuous mark the grader may not have seen it.  

Thanks for the reply.  So it would still merit the 9.2 you think?  I hope so given that I already purchased it lol

19 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Ok I got it in today and the mark is bad.  The seller does not accept refunds and doesn't remember seeing this.  Would this really get a 9.2??

eyemark.jpg

Printer artifact. I imagine it did not really count against grade. If so only minimally.  Nice book!

Just now, James Lawry said:

You think so?  I am trying to not let it drive me crazy

Totally.  If you have ever seen an offset press in action its amazing the ink only goes where it is supposed to.  When the ink goes elsewhere on a printed page it isn't as obvious because it has ink saturation already but in white space it is really obvious.  If you start flipping through interior pages you will start noticing printer defects fairly regularly.  Running an offset press is as much technical skill as it is an art.

I would have that book in my collection and not think twice about it. But its in YOUR collection so only you can decide if it is ok. Some folks have to have only 9.8 for instance and 9.6's are sub par to them.  I am happy to have 9.6's in my collection because the difference in the two in my opinion is usually not perceptible without a magnifier glass.

Every collectors condition tolerance is different..

4 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

Totally.  If you have ever seen an offset press in action its amazing the ink only goes where it is supposed to.  When the ink goes elsewhere on a printed page it isn't as obvious because it has ink saturation already but in white space it is really obvious.  If you start flipping through interior pages you will start noticing printer defects fairly regularly.  Running an offset press is as much technical skill as it is an art.

I would have that book in my collection and not think twice about it. But its in YOUR collection so only you can decide if it is ok. Some folks have to have only 9.8 for instance and 9.6's are sub par to them.  I am happy to have 9.6's in my collection because the difference in the two in my opinion is usually not perceptible without a magnifier glass.

Every collectors condition tolerance is different..

Thank you for the explanation.  Now that I know it is just a printer error and not some dude drawing on Spidey's face I am more ok with it.  For a bit I was just flabbergasted that it got a 9.2 with someone doodling on it lol

The ink rub should not be the concern, especially a small one like that.

The Mylar inner well that is slowly almost guaranteed to create waves in the book at some point in the future should really keep you up at night.

Many months ago when the new case released the inner well that holds the book in place was made up of two pieces of Mylar.

The Mylar sandwiched the book in place creating a floating effect.

Unfortunately this had some negative side effects that CGC addressed and has since been replaced by the classic tried and tested inner well.

Not sure where on the forum you would be able to look this up because most of the threads and posts related to this issue where erased from existence.

I would look up CGC creep engine or newton rings CGC case and see for yourself.

I am not sure if CGC will reholder the book at no charge but that is something they were doing when the old inner well was brought back.

I would call and find out because the inner well your book is in has been known to cause damage.

Best of luck and for future reference when buying books with the new holder design, try to make sure it has the old inner well :)

Examples of old inner wells in new CGC holders.

Left one is the casket design and the right is envelope design. (These are not official terms)

You can see around the left edge of the book that it is like a casket, used on thicker books.

There is also another kind of inner well that does not have the casket corner and is more like an envelope, a design better suited for thinner books.

It can be identified by the white line that goes around the book, as seen in the right image.

Hope this description helps.

TYMfczX.jpg?1  kePsuMw.jpg?1

Edited by grayzr

5 hours ago, grayzr said:

The ink rub should not be the concern, especially a small one like that.

The Mylar inner well that is slowly almost guaranteed to create waves in the book at some point in the future should really keep you up at night.

Many months ago when the new case released the inner well that holds the book in place was made up of two pieces of Mylar.

The Mylar sandwiched the book in place creating a floating effect.

Unfortunately this had some negative side effects that CGC addressed and has since been replaced by the classic tried and tested inner well.

Not sure where on the forum you would be able to look this up because most of the threads and posts related to this issue where erased from existence.

I would look up CGC creep engine or newton rings CGC case and see for yourself.

I am not sure if CGC will reholder the book at no charge but that is something they were doing when the old inner well was brought back.

I would call and find out because the inner well your book is in has been known to cause damage.

Best of luck and for future reference when buying books with the new holder design, try to make sure it has the old inner well :)

Examples of old inner wells in new CGC holders.

Left one is the casket design and the right is envelope design. (These are not official terms)

You can see around the left edge of the book that it is like a casket, used on thicker books.

There is also another kind of inner well that does not have the casket corner and is more like an envelope, a design better suited for thinner books.

It can be identified by the white line that goes around the book, as seen in the right image.

Hope this description helps.

TYMfczX.jpg?1  kePsuMw.jpg?1

Forgot to quote you, but how does the New Mutants issue above look?  I purchased it on Ebay yesterday.  It seems to have some type of inner section as opposed to just 'floating' like the ASM issue.

2 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

Was the old well made from? I'm curious if the problem was the Mylar...

I think the problem was expecting the 2 mylar sheets to prevent movement of the book. Also the mylar sheets created some pressure.

9 hours ago, James Lawry said:

Thanks for the info on the inner wells.  I never knew any of that.  I just purchased a New Mutants 87 9.6 and I think this one looks different from ASM (don't have it in hand yet).  Can you tell me if this one is ok?

newmutants87.jpg

Yes, that has the new envelope design.

You can see the faint white line around the sides of the book.

If you see that your in the clear :)

2 hours ago, grayzr said:

Yes, that has the new envelope design.

You can see the faint white line around the sides of the book.

If you see that your in the clear :)

Good to hear!  And yes I see what you are talking about, I will keep an eye out for that on future purchases.  Thanks a ton for the info.