• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre Code Horrible Covers: Celebrating the lame attempts of horror
2 2

70 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, retrocomics said:

Ha,  I always liked that cover. I mean, c'mon, a skeleton wearing a chain linked visor? Awesomeness

I like it too, that's my copy. But c'mon man, as far as a scary horrific cover goes? Ole Skelly even bored his fellow co-workers to death! :insane:

21 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I've never cared for this one. Neither the girl's posture nor the monster's face and design do it for me. Still I have a copy ...

Witchcraft 1.jpg

The girl looks like a cut and paste job to me. She just sticks out from the rest, isn't even looking at the thing or reacting in the right direction and how she is positioned she would be coming out of the table if you could see behind the wording. The editor or whoever probably saw that cover without the girl and said stick a girl in there and someone cut the girl from some other cover or something and stuck it in there quick.

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here's one. I bought this because it was cheap pre-code horror. I hoped the inside might be better but it wasn't. Never did finish reading it...

comadvsunknown49.jpg

I have to agree. A genie riding in a wrecking ball submarine shooting a witchopus? 

4 minutes ago, catman76 said:

The girl looks like a cut and paste job to me. She just sticks out from the rest, isn't even looking at the thing or reacting in the right direction and how she is positioned she would be coming out of the table if you could see behind the wording. The editor or whoever probably saw that cover without the girl and said stick a girl in there and someone cut the girl from some other cover or something and stuck it in there quick.

Looks like the standard Avon horror girl. Most of the Eerie books with covers by Woody share the same girl in the same pose.

36 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

5474206132_ec877485ee_b.jpg.b16d5a2fbd174828e10f586fabcd7f10.jpg

H-A-T-E this gd cover

WTF is that thing??

The Crawling Horror? :baiting:

But seriously I getcha. If they made the beastly translucent and showed skeletal bones of the men inside it being dissolved, it would've been a much better cover! (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Jayman said:

23 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I've never cared for this one. Neither the girl's posture nor the monster's face and design do it for me. Still I have a copy ...

Witchcraft 1.jpg

Plus the guy in the background handwashing mini sausage links isn't too scary either!:sumo:

Ok, let's give Ace a go. Here's one that is just goofy for me. A ghost Knight with the menacing name of Sir Reginald. A treasure chest that's barely unearthed but seems just as big as the damn castle. Just goofy.

843109.jpg