• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist producing low quality work today...
2 2

55 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I love his old stuff.  When he got teamed up with Klaus Janson (sp) it took a dive. I don't know if he was trying to modernize his style but it is not very good in my opinion.

I disagree - I thought his Thor run was epic.

Has there ever been a better Destroyer ?

13670storystory_full-2162221..jpg

14 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

If the OP feels in this specific example Kevin Nowlan is not producing quality work, I would like him to elaborate on it, not shut him down.   I’m sure there’s a better choice of word than quality, but Im willing to look beyond that just for the sake of the discussion.  Just keep it civil….and productive. 

He is been doing variant covers for the latest Green Lantern book,
some of them are very minimalist and basic, one character or two,
not a lot of detail (What you should expect for cover quality material)
in some cases he stopped drawing backgrounds or if he do is minimal.
some of the work had to be enhanced by the colorist.

Not what I expect from him...

3860651.jpg

4 hours ago, MagnusX said:

3860651.jpg

If it's the cover composition that doesn't work for you, that might have been the gig he was given or the editorial demands. 

I've worked with Kevin on commissions before. He's sent me DOZENS of prelims working out the details or perspective, angle and composition as if I was an editor. If there's something included or excluded in a piece of Kevin's work you can bet dollars to donuts that it's what the publisher/editor has requested of him. 

4 hours ago, MagnusX said:

3860651.jpg

Kevin Nowlan colors virtually all of his own work.  If you find it to be enhancing, then you are giving the nod to the singular artist that you feel is producing low quality work.  For the record, I've always found Nowlan's color work to be absolutely brilliant and somewhat minimalist.  He also does some of the best LETTERING in the business.  Quite the renaissance man.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

This thread has resulted in a boost of my esteem for Mr. Nowlan. I never knew he did most of his own coloring work, and hearing how he works with editors / fans on a commission, it sounds like he is always trying to deliver what the client wants first, and imposing his own will second - that is something I can greatly sympathize with and understand due to my own work.

2 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

This thread has resulted in a boost of my esteem for Mr. Nowlan. I never knew he did most of his own coloring work, and hearing how he works with editors / fans on a commission, it sounds like he is always trying to deliver what the client wants first, and imposing his own will second - that is something I can greatly sympathize with and understand due to my own work.

He sent me all the prelims from my Bizarro commission. It was amazing the lengths he went to to try and make me happy. Towards the end of him asking me for input and approval I was begging him to run with his own imagination. lol I was a little embarrassed by all the extra time he was taking to get it right.

This is a link to the gallery of  just some of the prelims he sent. He labored over the setting, perspective, posing, thematic elements. It was really something to watch how his mind worked in bringing a piece to life.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=41111

After running through all the possible variations he nailed it down to what worked best.....

NowlanBizarroFinal.JPG.6f7d948a701b632e2dd97097962ba23a.JPG

21 hours ago, comix4fun said:

that might have been the gig he was given or the editorial demands.

That made sense.

I could totally see a editor making those
specific demands
and Happy with the Results...

BTW Congratulations on your commission...

On 8/2/2017 at 5:28 AM, r100comics said:

I disagree - I thought his Thor run was epic.

Has there ever been a better Destroyer ?

13670storystory_full-2162221..jpg

awful