• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shockingly racist back cover Ad from the 60s

18 posts in this topic

I bought a Silver age misc. "comic lot" off of ebay and this Australian Shadow comic was thrown in as an extra.

Check out the back cover advertisement.  Pretty bad.  This comic is from the early 60s.  I could see an ad like this being printed in the 30s or 40s, but I can't believe it's from the 60s.

P1130402.JPG

P1130403.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

2 hours ago, silverweb said:

Holy spoon! I had heard that the Australians were prejudiced against the aboriginal population. 

I hear not a lot has changed 

I have a print book on "Animals in North America" which was a reasonably respectable resource for naturalists in 1934. It has photos of the "Eternal triangle"  The Possum, the dog and the southern Darky"  We too have quite the embarrassing history. 

My Mother was born in 1931, moved to America in 1937 and often says she had no idea that word was offensive until the late 1950s.  She says and Negro went interchangeable in her social circle, which didn't include any of "them".

As late as 1978 there were still gas stations with three bathrooms in Brevard County, Florida (Oak Hill Florida, to be precise).   There was a roadside diner/bar in Oak Hill where black people couldn't order food or be inside (they asked my buddy to leave, but I could order his sandwich and he could eat it outside).

Around 1964 the Brevard County courthouse still had separate bathrooms and drinking fountains; the County Courthouse, where justice was served.  :eek:

I saw/experienced all this personally.  There's more, but that gives the general idea.

In the late 1800's many settlements in central Florida, such as Cocoa Beach and Melbourne to name two, were first settled by freed slaves (well there were Native Americans there before them, but that's another story) but hurricanes, later white settlers, Jim Crow laws and prevalent attitudes limited prohibited their success.  

2 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

As late as 1978 there were still gas stations with three bathrooms in Brevard County, Florida (Oak Hill Florida, to be precise).   There was a roadside diner/bar in Oak Hill where black people couldn't order food or be inside (they asked my buddy to leave, but I could order his sandwich and he could eat it outside).

Around 1964 the Brevard County courthouse still had separate bathrooms and drinking fountains; the County Courthouse, where justice was served.  :eek:

I saw/experienced all this personally.  There's more, but that gives the general idea.

In the late 1800's many settlements in central Florida, such as Cocoa Beach and Melbourne to name two, were first settled by freed slaves (well there were Native Americans there before them, but that's another story) but hurricanes, later white settlers, Jim Crow laws and prevalent attitudes limited prohibited their success.  

Great post. And redlining and other discriminatory practices continue today.

The Agatha Christie mystery titled Ten Little Indians in the U.S. was titled Ten Little N-Words in the UK (Christie's original title for it).  I believe it continued to be reprinted in the UK with that title until comparatively recently.  The n-word didn't have the strongly pejorative connotation in the UK that it had in the US, hence the need for Christie's US publisher to retitle the book. 

30 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

The writeup indicates that the U.S. title was And Then There Were None, which, come to think of it, is the title of the paperback copy I have.  Maybe it was the UK title that was eventually changed to Ten Little Indianshm

Also from the eBay description:  A controversial title to say the least

But, I guess the point relevant to this thread is that in 1939 the title must not have struck either Christie or her UK publisher as controversial or they wouldn't have used it.  The reference, I think, was to a nursery rhyme popular in the UK at the time.  But even by the late 1930s, I don't think any US publisher would have used the title. 

In 1966, I was living in Japan and my best friends father was a black GI who had married a German girl. He was coming up on twenty years and I overheard him  talking about life after retirement. 

I heard him say something to the effect of" You know I can never go home to Virginia again" and not understanding why.  When I asked my parents, they kind of shrugged and told me I'd understand when I was a bit older. Fast forward to 1968 and I'm living in Queens, when a new kid enters the school. They had moved up here from Alabama and he said he had been the first black kid to enroll in  a school several years ago. For that they burned down the house he was living in. That summer, we went swimming and I saw the burn scars on his legs. He never said he was in the house when it was firebombed or that his grandmother died there. 

If you think everything is better now, consider we had a place of worship bombed this week and not a word out of our leaders. 

Edited by shadroch