• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official November 2017 heritage auction thread
3 3

330 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

It's very interesting how the terminology within the description is interpreted.  On this HA lot, they used "recreation" for this British cover art.  But, it didn't scare the buyer ($16K).

link to Super-Spiderman cover art

David

I was impressed by this price.  Would this be a record for British Marvel original artwork?  Best, Lee

5 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

The Wrightson HOM splash was on Clink Exchange with a 12.2k too bid but not sold (meaning you could bid higher).  I recall piece sold on Clink Auction a few years ago but can’t recall what price sold.

The Wrightson HOM splash sold on Clink for $9.2K in 2015

4 hours ago, suspense39 said:

Yes I was very tempted but I didn’t have 25k, so there that, but I definitely thought about trying to get the money somehow.....and then it was gone.

theres also the “ if the deal is too good” theory that always enters my head ....I get hesitant. 

I can definitely see that, because even the little I know about Peanuts art had me squinting at it. I half expected to see a thread about the listing here... but it never emerged.

You just have to ask yourself why someone would do that, list it at a buy it now that suggests some idea of the worth, but refuses to send it to Heritage where - if the art is legit - they'd have cleared far, far more.

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I can definitely see that, because even the little I know about Peanuts art had me squinting at it. I half expected to see a thread about the listing here... but it never emerged.

You just have to ask yourself why someone would do that, list it at a buy it now that suggests some idea of the worth, but refuses to send it to Heritage where - if the art is legit - they'd have cleared far, far more.

I don’t think it was up long enough for many to see

Yeah, it’s odd, but maybe someone just needed quick money....Heritage takes months to pay, or they don’t know about Heritage....it’s definitely odd

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Noticed another wow result from today.  John Buscema/Tom Palmer Avengers 76 page closed at about 9k.  That is close to double what I would have guessed.  Nice page, but like I said, wow!

Scott

Was quite surprised at this too.  Not sure whether it was because of a high proxy bid and/or just several bidders bidding quickly, but this jumped up very quickly once it went to live bidding.   

16 hours ago, suspense39 said:

I saw that lot on eBay, a steal before those results.....we will find out soon if these prices were a one off after a couple auctions. 

A Peanuts Sunday from the 50s, all by itself, would've been a steal at $24.5k even before this auction.  They've been going mid-5 figures.  The fact that the lot also included 5 dailies from the 50s is just incomprehensible.

I wonder if the seller is one of those people who always people_without_enough_empathy about Heritage's BP.  If so, he/she was probably congratulating him/herself for saving so much in fees. lol  

8 hours ago, suspense39 said:

I don’t think it was up long enough for many to see

Yeah, it’s odd, but maybe someone just needed quick money....Heritage takes months to pay, or they don’t know about Heritage....it’s definitely odd

Heritage would've given the seller a healthy advance if quick cash was needed.  

Who knows why the seller did it this way, which is what made me, and probably others hesitant. To me it seems like he knew,or thought, that they were worth st least 25k, so why not start the auction at 25k and see if it increases, instead of a BIN......but he didn’t

4 hours ago, suspense39 said:

I should add I personally don’t think I could go ahead with the flip without giving some of the proceeds back to seller when it’s a discrepancy that large, there’s a HUGE difference in sale price vs value, and the seller I would assume, was naive to that 

I see people making this statement more and more these days... wouldn't the proper thing be, for someone that feels this way, to simply tell the seller about the actual worth instead of making the purchase and then sharing some of whatever meat was left on the bone at a later date? The other side of the coin, I've never heard of a seller of a piece showing up to make a re-seller whole if the resell didn't go as planned.

My personal perspective, I'm not likely to ever be in the situation as far as I can tell, but if I find myself there I'll have to figure it out in real time; I haven't settled this question in my own mind yet.

6 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I see people making this statement more and more these days... wouldn't the proper thing be, for someone that feels this way, to simply tell the seller about the actual worth instead of making the purchase and then sharing some of whatever meat was left on the bone at a later date? The other side of the coin, I've never heard of a seller of a piece showing up to make a re-seller whole if the resell didn't go as planned.

My personal perspective, I'm not likely to ever be in the situation as far as I can tell, but if I find myself there I'll have to figure it out in real time; I haven't settled this question in my own mind yet.

I really haven’t settled it in my own head either, I have been on the losing end before (Much smaller potatoes) but enough to know that it sucks, and Im sure many others have been there. 

Anyway I don’t know the whole story in this situation so I’ll just leave it there.

I’ve been in the situation and frankly you have to pull a Chuck and just leave it be.    It’s naive to think that you’re going to tell someone they left say 100k on the table (and here’s 10 for your trouble) and to imagine that the seller will be happy about it.    Human nature is such that the seller won’t be happy about the 10 you gave them (that you didn’t have to), they will be torqued about the 90 you didn’t.     Nothing good will come of informing the seller.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I’ve been in the situation and frankly you have to pull a Chuck and just leave it be.    It’s naive to think that you’re going to tell someone they left say 100k on the table (and here’s 10 for your trouble) and to imagine that the seller will be happy about it.    Human nature is such that the seller won’t be happy about the 10 you gave them (that you didn’t have to), they will be torqued about the 90 you didn’t.     Nothing good will come of informing the seller.

Likewise. And that's my position too. The only clean way to do this is consignment on a % basis. But this isn't always what the seller wants (the wait, the unknown final $, the wait). Not everything is as liquid as 1950s Peanuts either! People that have been doing this a long time will tell you that once you open the door, have the seller doubting themselves, what seemed like a good idea (being upfront) can sour fast. The seller can/will get paranoid, solicit other dealers/players and in the end probably feel he's being taken advantage of by everybody, throw it to HA (or worse some local less visible venue) and maybe even get less net (not everything is 1950s Peanuts - did we already cover that?) My approach is, if there's a quantity involved, I'll take the first (best) batch aggressively (before anybody else does!!) and then pay more for the (lesser) rest down the road to even it out. First, that 'rest' may not materialize even if 'promised'...complicated deals tend to fall apart easier and even relatively ignorant sellers tend to figure that you're not just buying for yourself and will start trying to cut you out of the middle over time. It's just human nature to discount the other guy's value in a transaction, what intangibles of value they bring to the table. That's okay, it's how the ignorant get educated.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:28 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

Thoughts on Kraven/Zeck cover? Thought there was a high likelihood of two people going toe-to-toe on it, final price was $33k, which was a bit over what I thought the final would be. Does this price nudge the rest of the covers to auction, or reinforce that they should stay where there are?

I think $33K is about where the cover *should* be valued ($30-$35K), but, given the scarcity factor, I was thinking it could get $40-45K.