• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: Are Slabs or Mylar more attractive?

Poll: Are books more attractive in a slab or in mylar?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Value aside, do you think comics are more attractive in a slab or in mylar?

• Slabs all the way!
    • Mylar for the win!

39 posts in this topic

If the question is purely whats "looks" better, I think mylar. The crystal clear clarity of mylar (I use Mylites2) really makes a book's colors pop. While the new CGC cases are clearer than the older ones, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think they look super clean and crisp in mylar.

Now of course, there's a whole host of reasons why we slab books other than "attractiveness", but my vote for aesthetics goes to mylar.

I've wrestled with this question back and forth.

I think PURELY based on looks, I would lean ever so slightly towards a mylar.  Having said that, I still prefer to grade my books for a number of other reasons (obviously).

22 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

The crystal clear clarity of mylar (I use Mylites2) really makes a book's colors pop. While the new CGC cases are clearer than the older ones, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I think they look super clean and crisp in mylar.

+1

Most definitely the crystal clear features of the mylar as opposed to the bulky, heavy and industrial appearance of the slabs which more than anything else, detracts the beauty of the underlying comic book itself.

Has always been an absolute no-brainer to me and could never figure out why collectors would even bother to slab a book unless it was time to sell or simply for the resto check. 

Books look pretty sharp in the new slabs, and you can see the back, which is a plus.  But then there is tremendous amount of additional bulk, which is a detractor.

Books look very sharp in mylar, but you really need a backing board for support, so you can't see the back cover without handling.  If someone made an economical, archival clear backing board that would be nice.

I like the M2s with Fullbacks.  I positively hate even touching mylites, and I really don't care for the snugs either.  I get books shipped in mylites all the time, and they go directly into the garbage.

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I like the M2s with Fullbacks.  I positively hate even touching mylites, and I really don't care for the snugs either.  I get books shipped in mylites all the time, and they go directly into the garbage.

But the mylites are the thinnest plastic available.  Since they leave less between you and your comic book they, ahem, improve the experience.

1 minute ago, namisgr said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

But the mylites are the thinnest plastic available.  Since they leave less between you and your comic book they, ahem, improve the experience.

Right - but they are just too flimsy, and really offer little protection.  Seems like they are frequently splitting too. 

I guess I've gotten old a fussy, and just don't want to put up with them any longer.

Love the new avatar!  One of my favorite movies, and some of my favorite CDs.

32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Right - but they are just too flimsy, and really offer little protection.  Seems like they are frequently splitting too. 

I guess I've gotten old a fussy, and just don't want to put up with them any longer.

Yeah, but technically an M2 is a Mylite. You must be talking about Mylites+, which are the super thin ones. Who uses those? I wonder if the bags you're getting are some plastic that looks or feels like a Mylite+.

4 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
38 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah, but technically an M2 is a Mylite. You must be talking about Mylites+, which are the super thin ones. Who uses those? I wonder if the bags you're getting are some plastic that looks or feels like a Mylite+.

Yeah, they are mylites.  When I first got into archival supplies, I used them on some of my special books.  I replace the mylites with M2s when I run across them now.

Who uses them now?  Quite a few boardies, at least to ship the books they sell.

I'll pull a Deion Sanders here and say...... both. I think slabs are beautiful and cool.... some of my books are in them. Many more are in Mylar sleeves, as I still like to handle and open some of my books. They're certainly safer in the slab. If I were a 9.8 collector then a slab would be my only solution. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

There are advantages to both, to be sure, but these days I'm leaning more towards a mylar and fullback. They display so nicely AND you can easily extract the book for any reason. Slabs are very protective and also attractive, but (especially with the new design) if you want to get your book out, you're in for a world of pain.

Slabs are ugly, ugly, ugly with that stupid label and worst of all you cant even look at the comic, so it defeats the whole purpose of even owing a comic. Basically my vote is anything other than a slab. But really, comics look best naked and in nothing the way they were intended to be. 

Edited by catman76

21 hours ago, catman76 said:

Slabs are ugly, ugly, ugly with that stupid label and worst of all you cant even look at the comic, so it defeats the whole purpose of even owing a comic. Basically my vote is anything other than a slab. But really, comics look best naked and in nothing the way they were intended to be. 

some... really low grade , detached cover, wrinkles tears  etc.... look real nice in a CGC case