• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK vs THOR!!!
3 3

86 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
1 hour ago, piper said:

I agree but the current generation never watched the TV show and the solo Hulk movies we're forgettable.

My son's favourite characters are Iron Man, Thor, and Spider-Man (in that order).

yeah, i watched lou ferrigno too, religiously as a kid. loved it. but as piper said, its about what this generation loves, and iron man, thor and spidey seem to be the big ones along with cap, for marvel silver age. (i know cap is golden age) just seems like for 2 books with comparable census numbers (though hulk 1 is harder in grade), thor has more long term potential as a character. are they making another hulk film? not sure, but i think they'll keep making thors. and once robert downey is too old to be iron man, they'll reboot him and release more solo iron man movies like they did w spidey. 

Well at this point the evidence is a bit anecdotal. Piper’s son may prefer Thor but my son likes the Hulk, who he knows from the animated Avengers. He’s never expressed interest in a Thor toy but has a few Hulks. Hulk is a character younguns have an affinity for; he’s very strong and is able to control his environment in a way that children can’t.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

This was exactly my prediction

Are you a girl or guy ? I ask cause you just gave me a boner issue :cry: All joking aside I see Spider-Man has been going up in the mid grade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-1-CGC-Stan-Lee-Signature-Series/263066023410?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D45728%26meid%3D626b5cd9238a46c58ee106bee30ab710%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D201990223092&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Really stan lee sig not that hot(shrug)

28 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Do you really want to find out in person if I'm a guy or girl :baiting:  But yeah, it seems that a lot of collectors (including myself) frown upon vintage key books with any type of signature on the book.  I personally do not like it and hate it when there is one.  Only exception maybe to it would be a Bob Kane, Siegel/Shuster autos.. Now those are hardly ever to come by.

50 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Do you really want to find out in person if I'm a guy or girl :baiting:  But yeah, it seems that a lot of collectors (including myself) frown upon vintage key books with any type of signature on the book.  I personally do not like it and hate it when there is one.  Only exception maybe to it would be a Bob Kane, Siegel/Shuster autos.. Now those are hardly ever to come by.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Ya that would be great.:tink:

53 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I don't like signatures either, and must admit it actually upsets me a bit to see a beautiful key book "marred" (in my very humble opinion -- absolutely no offense intended) by a signature.  Clearly there are many collectors who love them, and many cases where the signature seems to make a book more valuable ... but I am one of those collectors who runs away from the yellow label just as I would the purple or green label.  I guess it's a case of more rabid demand from a smaller pool of collectors.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

Hulk 1 came out in April, 1962. JIM 83 came out in August of that same year. Hulk #1 has about 1100 unrestored copies in the CGC census, JIM #83 has about 1240 unrestored copies in the CGC census. It's pretty standard to say that AF15, Hulk1, and FF1 are the 3 key marvel silver age books that are the toughest to find, and most significant, as well as valuable (btw AF15 came out same time as JIM83). Hulk 1 is certainly pricier than JIM 83. My question is, with census numbers so close, and Thor being perhaps a more interesting leading man in the marvel films, do you think that JIM83 may one day surpass HULK1 in terms of importance to collectors, and/or value in grade? the disparity seems greater than it ought to be. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.    

It`  s not always easy to tell which comic is going to be the next hot comic. At this time it may be hard to imagine JIM #83 overtaking Hulk #1 but as time goes on there is always that possibility. Nowadays a decent percentage of a comic`  s value has to do with whether or not movies are being produced containing that specific character. Of course there are several other factors which play a role in a comic`  s value. Sometimes a comic`  s value may take off for reasons we do not know. Example: Nine years ago no one would have thought that a More Fun Comics #73 Cgc 8.0 would sell for 104k in 2016 when a Cgc 8.0 copy in 2008 only brought 10k. Only time will tell regarding the Hulk #1 and Jim #83!

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, Pontoon said:

Even with potential future movie popularity, it would be hard for Thor to overtake the Hulk. Outside of the Big 3 (Supes, Bats, Spidey) the Hulk is one of the most recognizable superheroes across the world. He’s had much more of a marketing presence over the years with various toys and tchotchkes, plus his TV series ran for 5 years and put him on the map with general, non-fanboy audiences. It even spawned some made-for-TV movies which were released overseas as features.

Agree.  And it's probably the reason why Hulk 1 has always been higher on the price chain than JIM83.  And, as someone else said, Hulk 1 has a better cover.

It's certainly not because the stories are better in Hulk than Thor, that's for sure. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

Hulk 1 came out in April, 1962. JIM 83 came out in August of that same year. Hulk #1 has about 1100 unrestored copies in the CGC census, JIM #83 has about 1240 unrestored copies in the CGC census. It's pretty standard to say that AF15, Hulk1, and FF1 are the 3 key marvel silver age books that are the toughest to find, and most significant, as well as valuable (btw AF15 came out same time as JIM83). Hulk 1 is certainly pricier than JIM 83. My question is, with census numbers so close, and Thor being perhaps a more interesting leading man in the marvel films, do you think that JIM83 may one day surpass HULK1 in terms of importance to collectors, and/or value in grade? the disparity seems greater than it ought to be. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.    

Actually, Hulk 1 was on the stands in MARCH '62 (MAY '62 cover date) and JIM 83 was out in JUNE '62 (AUG '62 cover date). I see Hulk 1 staying ahead of JIM 83. 

On 8/20/2017 at 10:59 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm inferring that you believe FF 1 is currently undervalued, perhaps in part because of the poor job they did with the most recent movie.  Not sure how to reach an informed opinion on that, but it sounds plausible.  I see some others making a case that JIM 83 and/or TOS 39 are undervalued (or at least, poised for more gains) despite the obvious success of the Avengers film franchise.

FF #1 is undervalued because it's the Action #1 equivalent of the Silver Age. It created the proliferation of a company that was nearly unprecedented.

It's lower valued because of movie bumps, which in my opinion is an unfortunate way of gauging the market.

On 2017-08-19 at 8:57 PM, woowoo said:

(tsk) its AF-15 Hulk 1 than JIM 83 :headbang: FF-1 is behind JIM 83 been that way for years. IMO so don't get mad but Really FF-1 over JIM-83 :preach:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post due to that last sentence lol 

Gpa wise I don't think this is correct. Ff1 is more expensive then Jim 83. A 3.0-3.5 for ff1 is 4500-5k. Pretty sure it's about 3-3500 for jim? I don't  think there is any grade where Jim outsells ff1

if ff1 gets a half decent movie, I can see it passing hulk 1. Or if marvel arranges a deal like they did with spidey (I can see this happening). But that's my opinion on the matter. Some laughed when I said showcase 4 would pass hulk 1. Showcase 4 outsold or tied af15 in certain grades at times. So who knows!

Edited by BoomCity

58 minutes ago, BoomCity said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post due to that last sentence lol 

Gpa wise I don't think this is correct. Ff1 is more expensive then Jim 83. A 3.0-3.5 for ff1 is 4500-5k. Pretty sure it's about 3-3500 for jim? I don't  think there is any grade where Jim outsells ff1

if ff1 gets a half decent movie, I can see it passing hulk 1. Or if marvel arranges a deal like they did with spidey (I can see this happening). But that's my opinion on the matter. Some laughed when I said showcase 4 would pass hulk 1. Showcase 4 outsold or tied af15 in certain grades at times. So who knows!

I don't get my post also :makepoint:  I can only say don't drink and post like I did (tsk) I think what I meant was I love both books. Thor is the man but FF is great if you can understand that.:facepalm:

On August 24, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't like signatures either, and must admit it actually upsets me a bit to see a beautiful key book "marred" (in my very humble opinion -- absolutely no offense intended) by a signature.  Clearly there are many collectors who love them, and many cases where the signature seems to make a book more valuable ... but I am one of those collectors who runs away from the yellow label just as I would the purple or green label.  I guess it's a case of more rabid demand from a smaller pool of collectors.

This is how I feel about sigs too. I like autographs; I love comics; they are not chocolate and peanut butter.

I'm with Roy about FF#1 and undervalued; its future depends on the extent to which future collectors understand its historic significance. More prominence for the characters in current media (comics, movies, games etc) of course would help, but it's really on dealers and collectors to also be historians. Barring that, I see the Thing having a 70's style future a la Aquaman  -- outsized recognition outside the hobby due to be being an underoos all-star more so than a prominent character in comics. But FF1 is a damn important book and should be a big deal; that alone is not enough.

Hulk v Thor-related: anyone out there a collector of classic Marvel slugfests? Don't want to derail, but if there's love for those it may make a great Silver thread topic that I'm happy to start.

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Hulk v Thor-related: anyone out there a collector of classic Marvel slugfests? Don't want to derail, but if there's love for those it may make a great Silver thread topic that I'm happy to start.

That would be a fun thread -- so many great covers to choose from.  Speaking of which, I've just upgraded my JIM #112:

59ab0b923e2ec_JourneyIntoMystery112CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.bccbcc9713a51bb3d0d552937614f67a.jpg

8 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That would be a fun thread -- so many great covers to choose from.  Speaking of which, I've just upgraded my JIM #112:

59ab0b923e2ec_JourneyIntoMystery112CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.bccbcc9713a51bb3d0d552937614f67a.jpg

(thumbsu  That's my old copy.  Posted it on page 1 of this thread.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

(thumbsu  That's my old copy.  Posted it on page 1 of this thread.

After seeing many of your old books sent on to new homes, I've been meaning to ask you..... is there a book or books that you miss above the rest ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

After seeing many of your old books sent on to new homes, I've been meaning to ask you..... is there a book or books that you miss above the rest ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I do miss the old SA collection, James, especially the pedigree comics bought raw in the days before CGC, like the small runs of Pacific Coast FFs and Journeys, the small run of ten cent Massachusetts Detectives, and the handful of keys.  There's just something special about owning multiple SA books in sharp condition from the same original owner collection, especially when the collection is important to the hobby and the books are unslabbed and in their original state (i.e., haven't been manipulated for re-sale).

That said, they don't have as much sentimental value as the BA comics I bought, read, and collected when they were new, which I've still got many longboxes of and have only begun to sell in bulk.

Edited by namisgr

I recently sold my entire collection to Bob Storms with the exception of an AF15 which is consigned to him, BUT the only thing I kept is my entire JIM and THOR. I love the Kirby artwork and the story lines for the most part. Having sold everything I bought off the newsstands in the '60's and early '70's, I'm looking forward to eventually turning over the Thor to my son who really likes them. None are slabbed which is a lot of the fun. 

It does seem to me that the JIM never really bumped up in value compared to early issues of FF4 and ASM though. I always though Hela was pretty hot.