• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Joker was shown to membership on Saturday night at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theatre with an estimated turnout of around 700 (perhaps a bit less)  I am told by two different members who were there.  That isn’t a turnaway for the 1000+ seat house ,as some highly anticipated films get, but it is certainly respectable considering Joker isn’t exactly the kind of film this group usually embraces. Reaction , at least from what I heard, was mixed which is not surprised, since it mirrors critical response now sitting at 69% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.  It got a B+ from moviegoers according to Cinemascore.

“Turnout was very good and reaction was as well. About three quarters full. Maybe 700 There were several walkouts though. Good applause at the end. Good applause. Including for the tech credits including Cinematographer,”  emailed one member with no connection to the film."

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wasn’t my thing. I went to see it for Phoenix and got exactly what I expected. Not getting the comparison to taxi driver, or any other Scorsese movie for that matter. I liked the cinematography and a couple (no more) of the scenes there; 1 when joker made his first kill, 2 when he made his third kill (does that make me a violent person?)

I think the movie needed either more of a steady pace to compare to Scorsese or stronger lines/dialogs. As it was, it felt like it was CONSTANTLY getting somewhere but never did. It didn’t go deep enough for me. 

I agree with what people said here that it’s a shame it was only an origin story, it would have been brilliant if there were more action scenes, definitely in the vein of taxi driver’s Action finale. Realistic looking ones taken in interesting angles.

Also there needed to be a hero/villain element which never really happened with this movie. It was Arthur with a bunch of supporting characters (Thomas Wayne, Murray Franklin, the two cops...), either one of those should have been expanded and built up in The Joker, as the relationship between him and them never really developed intensely enough.

by next year this movie will be a flash in the pan, and in the next few years I doubt people will even remember that there was a movie based on a strong DC comic book character which added nothing to its cinematic universe. 

A total miss (and a very unfortunate one at that)

ouch bro...harsh review. “A total miss”? Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t mean that. It will definitely be remembered for years to come just like the Dark Knight. :sumo:

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wasn’t my thing. I went to see it for Phoenix and got exactly what I expected. Not getting the comparison to taxi driver, or any other Scorsese movie for that matter. I liked the cinematography and a couple (no more) of the scenes there; 1 when joker made his first kill, 2 when he made his third kill (does that make me a violent person?)

I think the movie needed either more of a steady pace to compare to Scorsese or stronger lines/dialogs. As it was, it felt like it was CONSTANTLY getting somewhere but never did. It didn’t go deep enough for me. 

I agree with what people said here that it’s a shame it was only an origin story, it would have been brilliant if there were more action scenes, definitely in the vein of taxi driver’s Action finale. Realistic looking ones taken in interesting angles.

Also there needed to be a hero/villain element which never really happened with this movie. It was Arthur with a bunch of supporting characters (Thomas Wayne, Murray Franklin, the two cops...), either one of those should have been expanded and built up in The Joker, as the relationship between him and them never really developed intensely enough.

by next year this movie will be a flash in the pan, and in the next few years I doubt people will even remember that there was a movie based on a strong DC comic book character which added nothing to its cinematic universe. 

A total miss (and a very unfortunate one at that)

Nailed it.  

My sentiments exactly.   (thumbsu

-J.

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Saw Joker last night.  It is dark and disturbing and complex and it isn't easy to watch but I consider it a masterpiece.  Joaquin Phoenix should get an Oscar for best performance, he was absolutely amazing and 100% convincing.  See this movie. 

ditto! i expect he will get the oscar. the direction and cinematography were outstanding and will be nominated at least. i loved it. even the music was great. 

I don't think I've seen something like this from CNN concerning a comic book film in a long time. So the theater threat posts didn't bring negative responses towards the film.

CNN_Joker.thumb.PNG.1b2712220412f4312d686cdc4ddc212b.PNG

So over a 24-hour period, it starts dropping other articles to detract from the film. And two of them within hours of one another.

:facepalm:

While speaking on Popcorn with Peter Travers, Phoenix was asked if he considers Joker to be his dream role, and the actor brought up the possibility of returning to the deranged mind of Arthur Fleck.

"I wouldn’t have thought of this as my dream role. But now, honestly, I can’t stop thinking about it. I talked to Todd a lot about what else we might be able to do, in general, just working together, but also specifically, if there’s something else we can do with Joker that might be interesting. So, it ended up being a dream role. It’s nothing that I really wanted to do prior to working on this movie."

Although Joaquin Phoenix certainly does seem open to more JOKER, he admits that he doesn't know if there's more to do, but said that, "Me and Todd would still be shooting now if we could, right? Because it seemed endless, the possibilities of where we can go with the character." As JOKER has taken in close to $250 million world-wide, the film is already a financial success, so it will be interesting to see just how high it will go and how much that might influence the chances of a sequel. Would you like to see a sequel to JOKER?

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't think I've seen something like this from CNN concerning a comic book film in a long time. So the theater threat posts didn't bring negative responses towards the film.

CNN_Joker.thumb.PNG.1b2712220412f4312d686cdc4ddc212b.PNG

So over a 24-hour period, it starts dropping other articles to detract from the film. And two of them within hours of one another.

:facepalm:

CNN ... the ACE chemical company of “ news”

Just saw it. The film was brutal, sad, vicious, grotesque....and it completely worked on every level.

I also now get why so many folks were quasi-violently attacking this movie and trying to get people to not go. There is a pretty clear bit of social commentary going on. 

I don’t think much about celebrity award shows, but If they still mean anything this movie should walk away with many of them.

It was a great one, for sure. I've been now two nights in a row. I have a plot hole kind of question, though. Wayne is only a boy in the film and Joker is what in his 30's or 40's? Of course, Wayne and Joker become nemesis years later when Wayne becomes Batman, but doesn't that put Joker in his sixties? What's the story behind this?