• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the Boomers cashing out?
6 6

380 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

To clarify. :smile:

I am not trying to compare the Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man NES games with rare holy grails like Action 1 and Tec 27.

Think of the comparing Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man NES games to AF#15 and Incredible Hulk #181.

An example is a AF #15 CGC 2.0 could have been had 10 years ago about 2 grand now it is at least 12 grand!

A  Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.0 could have been had 10 years ago for under a grand,now good luck finding one at that price.

I see the same pattern for the Nintendo three video games of Zelda,Metroid and Mega Man will all at least double in value this next decade.

The three franchises are iconic just Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine. 

Nintendo 1985 to 1996 was the Marvel Comics 1961 to 1975.

Japan is a goldmine for this. Many people that live their buy the stuff locally at specialized stores, and sell it marked up internationally.

9 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Was funny I was looking at prices from OSPG 1987 of some prices of "grails" today. All in Mint: IH181 for 32$ HOS 92 for 25.00 ASM 129 14.00 IM 55 wasn't even listed seperately as 1st Thanos!! It just said Starlin c/a 4.00$ ?

Meanwhile the same year books like fish police 1 were 28.00 and elemental 15.00

Ah the good ole days.:cloud9:

I live in a very populated part of the country and boomers don't seem to be putting their stuff up very often. Far more people chasing those collections than the number coming up for sale. That being said I did just buy a 3K book collection that had some really rare Golden age and early silver age DC books. Books I never thought I would find in the wild. Def don't see a quick cash out though.

On August 25, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This.

I think this will happen 8-10 years from now.

New physical comic sales will continue to decline, Hollywood will be largely done with comic book movies that have led to a huge boom over the last 10 years, and the core Silver Age collectors (currently in their late 40s/early 50s) will begin to retire.

That's when the supply glut will happen, along with a huge downward price adjustment.

Hollywood will never be done with comic book movies, to much intrastructue and creative people involved. I think that is a bad assumption. new physical comic sales might break even if the digital sales take off, but comic book sales have been declining for 20 years and no end of the world doom situation has occurred, in fact comic book awareness  has increased  greatly. I think graphic novels will increase or take over, both hard copy an digital. As people retire, they could get more involved in the comic book world, now that they have more free time. Quality GA/SA will decline slowly over time and then pick up again, that has been the pattern of the market. Now, the million dollar sales, the 9.8 10X guide stuff...that is gonna tumble based of the simple law that nothing can go up forever and at some point "real value will take hold", I agree.

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Hollywood will never be done with comic book movies, to much intrastructue and creative people involved. I think that is a bad assumption. 

Mitch!

I appreciate your post, but (clearly) disagree with the above.

We are smack dab in the middle (perhaps even at the apex) of the comic book movie bubble -- equivalent to where Hollywood was in the late '90s with "disaster movies" (a la Independence Day, Volcano, Armageddon, Deep Rising).

Once we have a few big-budget failures in a row, and audiences tire of superheroes we'll see far few fewer films greenlit and far fewer risks taken on lesser known characters.

This could start in 5 years, or 10.

But sometime in the next decade the pendulum will shift. And the (so far) 15 year-run that has fueled incredible gains in vintage superhero movie material will end.

Sure, they'll still be occasional comic book films -- as there have been basically perpetually since 1978 -- but nothing like the 3-4 major release per year that we've seen lately.

Decades from now, I believe film historians will regard comic book movies (somewhere between 2012 and 2016) as the equivalent of where westerns were in 1955-58.

The western still lives on today, but at a rate of maybe one per year.

The last good one I recall came last year -- with a modern take, as Hell or High Water.

For sure.... the current pace can't continue indefinitely.   But you're both right in a sense because now that Disney is heading up Marvel, its not hard to imagine them managing those core characters into mainstream popularity pretty well indefinitely.    And you could probably say the same for Batman.    The rest could shrivel up and die tomorrow given a few failures as you suggest.    

On 8/25/2017 at 11:19 AM, MisterX said:

the assertion that the Boomers were cashing out, thereby flooding the market with tons of low to mid grade Silver and Bronze non-keys, causing the value of books to plummet.

If you are talking about low to mid grade SA and BA non-key books, they have always been out there in abundance and never reached the dizzying heights in the first place that it sounds like you are thinking of.  :gossip:

Now if you are talking about GA or SA keys or classic covers, than that is a completely different story altogether.  hm

I don't follow as closely as I used to, but I think he's right?   What used to be a $20 nonkey random SA book, I don't think its $20 anymore.      Its a tough sell at $10.    Or at least that's my perception.

I agree that eventually the comic-movie craze will die out and very likely within 10 years.  Some limited amount may live on sporadically  (Superman, Batman, Spiderman) but the rest of it will fade away as I expect rap music will someday as well as the Kardashians.  Nothing "in style" ever lasts and I can't see Hollywood becoming a permanent comic movie making town.  I'm guessing the actors and directors would pretty much all welcome the change, apart from the huge money of course.

As for Disney, they make very little of their money on their studios so they aren't really dependent on keeping the comic theme alive just to survive.  They make the lion's share of their money from their TV channel properties that they own and their resorts.

1 minute ago, FSF said:

As for Disney, they make very little of their money on their studios so they aren't really dependent on keeping the comic theme alive just to survive.  They make the lion's share of their money from their TV channel properties that they own and their resorts.

I'll take your word for it; I have no reason to doubt you.  But they aren't going to let valuable IP wither on the vine either and so I'd expect them to put forward a minimum number of marvel movies same as they put together a certain number of princess movies, etc.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I'll take your word for it.  But they aren't going to let valuable IP wither on the vine is the point..

Their valuable IP as far as I'm concerned is the Star Wars franchise, which is an entirely different thing from comics IMO and in the minds of many.  The entire studio division brings in less than I think 15% of their profits.  A huge chunk of that must be Star Wars.  I'm sure they'll milk Star Wars for all that its worth but I'm not sure what other IP needs protecting that has meaningful impact on their profits apart from a short term blip here and there.

7 minutes ago, FSF said:

Their valuable IP as far as I'm concerned is the Star Wars franchise, which is an entirely different thing from comics IMO and in the minds of many.  The entire studio division brings in less than I think 15% of their profits.  A huge chunk of that must be Star Wars.  I'm sure they'll milk Star Wars for all that its worth but I'm not sure what other IP needs protecting that has meaningful impact on their profits apart from a short term blip here and there.

Caught me mid-edit, but don't you think they'd want to keep pumping some out regardless?   What makes the resorts hum is the characters and their visibility.    Call the content a loss leader (or just less profit) then if you want but they need wide exposure projects like movies and TV based on the characters they own to make the resorts worth a damn.

I.e. if you say that the resorts are where they make the money, well I'd counter by saying Princess movies every year are what make dads drag their 8 year old daughters there.   And now with Marvel and SW they've got the boys too.    At the end of the day it seems to me their business is largely about health of the characters they own.

Edited by Bronty

Their top money maker are the tv channel properties.  Resorts are second by a good margin.  I agree that they'll try to leverage whatever assets they have but if we see a string of failures, I think they'll be fully prepared to pull the plug as will every other studio.  It's just a matter of time.  Just think abou the history of Hollywood.  It is completely filled with eras of a dominant genre.  There were westerns for many years.  Musicals use to dominate.  Sensivite dramas had their days in the late 70s and 80s.  The ONLY thing you can count on is that nothing lasts.  Not even something many people thought so foundational as rock n roll music.

The only theme that is eternal in movies are some form of cops and robbers theme which encompasses spy thrillers like James Bond.