• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small GA collection -- quick ballpark "appraisal" needed...
1 1

18 posts in this topic

The father-in-law of an old and dear friend of mine passed away earlier this year.  My friend's wife was going through some of her father's things this weekend (it's been a long and difficult process), and found the comics and other related items pictured below.

I sold off all of my GA a long time ago to pay for my kid's tuition, and haven't followed that market in over 10 years now. 

Clearly there is some value here -- especially if the six GA hero books + the coverless Batman 38 are complete (unknown -- I only have these iPhone pictures at this point).  And God only knows where that modern issue of The Flash came from!

So...assuming the worthwhile GA books are complete and in the Fair/Good range, what do the experts here think a ballpark RETAIL value for the lot would be, for insurance/estate valuation purposes?

To be clear -- as far as I know, these books are NOT for sale: I have NO intention of making an offer, and am not interested in brokering them.  I'm just trying to help a buddy out.

Thanks!

9-3-2017-A1.jpg

9-3-2017-B1.jpg

9-3-2017-C1.jpg

9-3-2017-D1.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

3 minutes ago, jools&jim said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

tree-fiddy +

meh

:D

:)

:kidaround:

Okay...tough crowd. 

I'll start -- my knee-jerk reaction, after selling > $20k worth of GA on eBay in the late '90s and early/mid '00s, is that this lot--if the best books are complete--is probably in the $700 - $900 range at full retail these days.

I'm guessing it will be easier to tell me I'm an out-of-touch muffinhead who's full of beans than for someone to chime in with an original thought...!!! :grin:   :baiting:    :makepoint:     (thumbsu

Hi. From 2017 OVERSTREET for the superhero comics (2.0 grade except the Batman 38 which I give the 1.0 price that in my experience coverless sells at usually)

GL 25 $142, ALL FLASH 30 $71,ALL STAR 35 $135,CC 22 $94, BATMAN 34 $142, BATMAN 38 $90

Hope that gives you an idea. Cheers.

Hi Mike,

The Comic Cavalcade is a tough issue, I'm not sure if I've seen one recently and I do look for them, but it looks brittle. You still might get $100 for it.

The World Around us books don't go for very much, maybe $15 for that part of the  group? 

Crime and Green Hornet are not top sellers and that GL, looks so low grade, I'm thinking maybe if you get lucky, $150 for the 3 of those,  the All Flash 30 is kind of scarce, but they are also not top sellers, so maybe $125 to $150

A VG copy of the Buck Rogers Big Little book went for $36 on eBay recently, but it depends on condition, the others are pretty low grade and those do not seem to sell for much (maybe $15? ) I don't know the issue numbers from the scans, so I can't look them up. The All Star might go for $150 - $200, 

I think Bill @shadroch would be right in the ballpark at $500 including the 2 Batmans.

I'm of course just guessing, I'm not a dealer, I just read a lot.

I don't think I'd bother insuring anything.

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Hi Mike,

The Comic Cavalcade is a tough issue, I'm not sure if I've seen one recently and I do look for them, but it looks brittle. You still might get $100 for it.

The World Around us books don't go for very much, maybe $15 for that part of the  group? 

Crime and Green Hornet are not top sellers and that GL, looks so low grade, I'm thinking maybe if you get lucky, $150 for the 3 of those,  the All Flash 30 is kind of scarce, but they are also not top sellers, so maybe $125 to $150

A VG copy of the Buck Rogers Big Little book went for $36 on eBay recently, but it depends on condition, the others are pretty low grade and those do not seem to sell for much (maybe $15? ) I don't know the issue numbers from the scans, so I can't look them up. The All Star might go for $150 - $200, 

I think Bill @shadroch would be right in the ballpark at $500 including the 2 Batmans.

Sharon swings and hits a grans slam ! Talk about an awesome assessment 

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
5 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Surprisingly, I think this deeply researched estimate is pretty close to the mark for retail.

Yeah, I should have said $350 to $500 at the top;)

Mike is a good estimator;)

That also happens to be my appraisal fee...., :cool:

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks Sharon, and everyone else! Much appreciated.  Best, -Mike