• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SF Comic Con Report
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Final Impressions

the artists at this con were kind of unique for how many artists that were there not just for their drawing talent, but also for their coloring (or painting) talent, Bill S., Mark Brooks, Ariel Olivetti, Clayton Crain, Alex Nino.  So if you were into full commissions or original art (cool lines was there too), pretty good stuff.

Also, don't know what happened to Michael Zeck, but that's the 2nd con in a row I've been to where he didn't show.

Generally a great con experience, could have used a few more dealers big and small, but I understand there were many shows across the country this weekend.  But the art and talent of all the ancillary vendors really made it worth it.  Lot of great stuff.

IMG_8864.jpg

I was there helping CGC witness and attending as well.  The booth was pretty busy. CGC didn't come last year but came this 2nd year.  You forgot about Bruce Timm and Neal Adams.  Overall, great convention with strong artist lineup. Wish there were more comic dealers as well but seems to be the growing trend.  CGC will be back.  I think the convention will grow each year as SF is a very good location and the city really wants a  comic convention.

1 minute ago, spidermanbeyond said:

I was there helping CGC witness and attending as well.  The booth was pretty busy. CGC didn't come last year but came this 2nd year.  You forgot about Bruce Timm and Neal Adams.  Overall, great convention with strong artist lineup. Wish there were more comic dealers as well but seems to be the growing trend.  CGC will be back.  I think the convention will grow each year as SF is a very good location and the city really wants a  comic convention.

I did forget about them. Neal had a huge booth with a ton of cool looking prints. Didn't see anyone in line though, hhs stuff and digs ain't cheap. Bruce Timm had a pretty sizeable line, and was signing all kinds of stuff like statues and posters and dvds, I had him sign a few comics. I thought he would have been weirder, but he wasn't. Just a warm, friendly guy.

also i forgot to mention, my first and longest conversation of the day was w Alex Saviuk, very friendly, and sadly like no one at his table ever when looked multiple times.  We talked about his spider man comic strips, which he had for sale, among other stuff.  We also talked some sf tourist stuff, Chinatown, Alcatraz, etc.

Sorry I forgot to mention that if anyone else wants to add their own SF Comic Con experiences or pictures to this thread, they should absolutely feel welcome to.  Hopefully someone took more and better pictures.

18 hours ago, AJCohen said:

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of comic selling booths. I agree Bunky Brian and Harley Yee had the best by far but I felt like I just kept visiting the same 6 booths with books for sale.  Are true comic conventions that mainly sell books dying on the vine while the industry explodes?

I would say the largest problem is having too many shows on the same weekend forces dealers to choose between shows.

I had a great time at the con! Posted up a bunch of pics from the Comic Book Swap party that I hosted here: 

We had 23 people show up, lots of great comics and tons of fun trading and swapping, and getting to meet other Bay Area collectors. This also gave me a great "comic fix" since there weren't too many dealers at the con itself, although I did pick up a lot of great stuff from the Bunky Bros.

DSC00529.JPG.1c3bab96fd49939d216799b5a250a10b.JPG

DSC00528.JPG.d050c4e402cfbeee4d8bd9a6cf9431b2.JPG

Edited by shortboxed

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:
20 hours ago, AJCohen said:

I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of comic selling booths. I agree Bunky Brian and Harley Yee had the best by far but I felt like I just kept visiting the same 6 booths with books for sale.  Are true comic conventions that mainly sell books dying on the vine while the industry explodes?

I would say the largest problem is having too many shows on the same weekend forces dealers to choose between shows.

A huge factor.  But I suspect the rates were somewhat cheaper as a result, and those cheaper rates may have been passed on to vendors.  My buddy was a tshirt/sticker/print/patch vendor there and the price seemed VERY reasonable considering it was pretty inclusive, including 3 dealer badges and help loading/unloading. 

Check out there stuff at SwagCabin, their tshirt materials are suuuuperrr comfy

swag cabin

2 hours ago, shortboxed said:

I had a great time at the con! Posted up a bunch of pics from the Comic Book Swap party that I hosted here: 

We had 23 people show up, lots of great comics and tons of fun trading and swapping, and getting to meet other Bay Area collectors. This also gave me a great "comic fix" since there weren't too many dealers at the con itself, although I did pick up a lot of great stuff from the Bunky Bros.

DSC00529.JPG.1c3bab96fd49939d216799b5a250a10b.JPG

DSC00528.JPG.d050c4e402cfbeee4d8bd9a6cf9431b2.JPG

Great idea. I might have just skipped the con and went there...

Plan on going to SF Next year, all I know is I need to book a room way in advance, tickets, flights etc ,will there be more sellers next year? Or will another clash of shows happen next year as well?

Also will CGC be there?

Edited by PunisherPunisherPunisher
Typo

30 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Plan on going to SF Next year, all I know is I need to book a room way in advance, tickets, flights etc ,will there be more sellers next year? Or will another clash of shows happen next year as well?

Also will CGC be there?

CGC plans to be there next year. That's what Brittany told me. They were happy with the show even with CGC down at Long Beach as well. The other guys were there too by the way.

8 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Also will CGC be there?

I would venture that CGC will be there.  They have attended the vast majority of Northern California Cons for the past X number of years, and there's a lot of $$ and nerds in the bay.  I don't think all the schedules are out yet for next year to know how many conflicts there will be.  But if you're coming to CA anyways and don't want to do SDCC, there's always Wonder Con in LA (I know its not really LA, but close enough).  That and Emerald City (Seattle) are probably the second two biggest west coast shows (I heard Phoenix was also really big, but I don't know if international tourists go there in general or if it counts as west coast).  I think if there wasn't a competing convention in the SAME state, there would have been more comic dealers at SF Comic Con this time. 

For those who don't know SF too well, this show was situated in pretty much the heart of the touristy shopping area of SF.  Lots of hotels and restaurants  and museums (MOMA!) and fancy shopping and financial district type stuff.  Little Italy and Chinatown are probably 1 mile away.  There's some cool, less touristy bars if you know where to look, and/or are brave enough to wander into the Tenderloin (aka the Urine-Smelling Capital of America).  Other common SF tourist landmarks like Fisherman's Wharf or Pier 39 or City Hall are easily in striking distance, as are gentlemen's entertainment establishments.  Little farther to Golden Gate Bridge or Palace of Fine Arts, depending on traffic (and you will almost certainly need to drive).  But SF is actually a pretty small, dense place, like 5-6 miles across, just there's lots of hills, one ways, dead ends, bicycles, public transit, junkies meandering in the streets, and traffic making it hard to get anywhere.  Also somewhat near by is the baseball stadium where the Giants play and the main farmers market.

So yah, if you're coming from Australia, there's other stuff to do too, you can make a real vacation out of it.

1 minute ago, revat said:

I would venture that CGC will be there.  They have attended the vast majority of Northern California Cons for the past X number of years, and there's a lot of $$ and nerds in the bay.  I don't think all the schedules are out yet for next year to know how many conflicts there will be.  But if you're coming to CA anyways and don't want to do SDCC, there's always Wonder Con in LA (I know its not really LA, but close enough).  That and Emerald City (Seattle) are probably the second two biggest west coast shows (I heard Phoenix was also really big, but I don't know if international tourists go there in general or if it counts as west coast).  I think if there wasn't a competing convention in the SAME state, there would have been more comic dealers at SF Comic Con this time. 

For those who don't know SF too well, this show was situated in pretty much the heart of the touristy shopping area of SF.  Lots of hotels and restaurants  and museums (MOMA!) and fancy shopping and financial district type stuff.  Little Italy and Chinatown are probably 1 mile away.  There's some cool, less touristy bars if you know where to look, and/or are brave enough to wander into the Tenderloin (aka the Urine-Smelling Capital of America).  Other common SF tourist landmarks like Fisherman's Wharf or Pier 39 or City Hall are easily in striking distance, as are gentlemen's entertainment establishments.  Little farther to Golden Gate Bridge or Palace of Fine Arts, depending on traffic (and you will almost certainly need to drive).  But SF is actually a pretty small, dense place, like 5-6 miles across, just there's lots of hills, one ways, dead ends, bicycles, public transit, junkies meandering in the streets, and traffic making it hard to get anywhere.  Also somewhat near by is the baseball stadium where the Giants play and the main farmers market.

So yah, if you're coming from Australia, there's other stuff to do too, you can make a real vacation out of it.

Thanks for the great info

planning a two/three week holiday of the west coast and Vegas