• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

Just now, zosocane said:

Hurricanes know hurricanes.

Not a big deal, but I always thought it was kind of weird and oddly insensitive to name sports teams after natural disasters.  I get that that you want to be known as a fearsome, unstoppable force of nature as a sports team, but it just seems like some people literally die or otherwise had their lives and property destroyed in these natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires, etc, and most of those people would live geographically where there team has that associated nickname.

Like I can't imagine a situation where Houston would get a new hockey team and call them the Flood.

Otherwise you could have all kinds of nicknames of terrible localized destructive forces that are somewhat unique to specific localities.

- California Drought

- Detroit Blight

- LA Traffic Jams  or LA Smog or the LA Broken Dreams (my favorite)

- The Alabama Casual but-not-mean-spirited-but-still-kinda-condescending Racism

- New York Property Tax

I actually think it should go the other way, and cities should have sports teams that actually market the best stuff about their city, so there are other economic benefits to their cities, think Milwaukee Brewers or Pittsburgh Steelers

San Diego Carne Asada Fries

Seattle Space Needles

Chicago Deep Dishes

Las Vegas Clubbers

Denver Leafs (if you catch my drift...)

Vancouver Dim Sum (Hey Torontoans and LA people, I promise you its better in Vancouver)

5 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

The Milwaukee Cheese Curds! or the Milwaukee Watery Yellow Beers! :grin:

Milwaukee Brats.

Chicago RedHots.

Philadelphia SoftPretzels.

New York Delis.

Washington Senators. Sometimes, the original is the best.

Edited by namisgr

Watching this one closely. Moved everything to a secure area where there is no chance of water damage from floods. If the roof flys off, that is another issue altogether. 

We should be OK in Central Florida as most storms lose their punch by the time they cross the State.  As if Irma wasn't enough to worry about we now have Jose forming behind her in the Atlantic. 

3 hours ago, revat said:

Not a big deal, but I always thought it was kind of weird and oddly insensitive to name sports teams after natural disasters.  I get that that you want to be known as a fearsome, unstoppable force of nature as a sports team, but it just seems like some people literally die or otherwise had their lives and property destroyed in these natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires, etc, and most of those people would live geographically where there team has that associated nickname.

Down here in South Florida, where we are in the middle of beginning likely evacuation plans for what could be a far more devastating hurricane than Harvey, and having been through several hurricanes, we take it as a point of great pride that one of our local universities adopted "hurricane" as its nom de guerre.   We've suffered through several storms in the past, and, God willing, will suffer through several more in the future.  It's mother nature at work, and it's a risk we knowingly take to live at a place we call home.  And I can assure you that not one person here thinks it "weird" or "oddly insensitive" to use "hurricane" not just for the local university's sports teams, but for the school's academic events, buildings, even busses.  In fact, it was a 1926 hurricane that claimed 326 lives when it struck Miami during that university's first year of existence that inspired the school to adopt "hurricane" as its nom de guerre

It's Great.  To Be.  A Miami Hurricane.

Thank you for indulging me.  Now, back to hurricane preparations ...

Edited by zosocane

having lived in Tampa for about 30 years, I can concur with the Cane fan that it is not a big deal to call a sports team Hurricanes. Many teams use similar names -- Tampa, often touted as the lightning capital of the world-- used the name for the hockey club.

Now that I am in Phoenix, I no longer prep for hurricane season (generators, gas, water, can food, etc). I sure miss the rain though. If this place ever got even a smattering of a normal Florida rainstorm, it would be devastated (no storm sewers, clay based ground soil that absorbs very very slowly). They get an inch of rain and there is flooding -- a quarter of an inch of rain is breaking news. To me-- that is crazy, but I am getting used to it.

Hope all the folks in Florida get through this one ok. You haven't seen devastation until you witness what Andrew did to the Homestead area. This one sounds like it could be stronger.

The Chicago team in the WFL was known as The Fire.

By the way, My son and his fiancé are on their way to Orlando where they will either hunker down in the Villages at my Uncles place or drive north depending on the path of the storm. 

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

having lived in Tampa for about 30 years, I can concur with the Cane fan that it is not a big deal to call a sports team Hurricanes. Many teams use similar names -- Tampa, often touted as the lightning capital of the world-- used the name for the hockey club.

Now that I am in Phoenix, I no longer prep for hurricane season (generators, gas, water, can food, etc). I sure miss the rain though. If this place ever got even a smattering of a normal Florida rainstorm, it would be devastated (no storm sewers, clay based ground soil that absorbs very very slowly). They get an inch of rain and there is flooding -- a quarter of an inch of rain is breaking news. To me-- that is crazy, but I am getting used to it.

Hope all the folks in Florida get through this one ok. You haven't seen devastation until you witness what Andrew did to the Homestead area. This one sounds like it could be stronger.

I live in Tampa area as well, have for 40+ years. This is the first time I've been this scared of a storm.

I'm really praying that this thing loses steam and loses steam quickly. My company might fly me out out a sister company in Connecticut but I'll be worried about my home and my friends and family here regardless.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

The Chicago team in the WFL was known as The Fire.

By the way, My son and his fiancé are on their way to Orlando where they will either hunker down in the Villages at my Uncles place or drive north depending on the path of the storm. 

My dad lives in The Villages-- which is technically about 60 miles northwest from Orlando, a little south of Ocala on I-75-- (maybe I read your sentence wrong)

anyway - hope they are successful at avoiding any trouble. With the exception of a few tropical storms, Tampa has not been hit by a cane since the 1920's. There was one around 10 years ago that came up through Port Charlotte and went directly towards mousetown (Orlando)-- and while not nearly as strong as this one, very devastating.